X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobH2
    • Dec 2009

No Edward, the screw in between teeth. Don warns over and over how not doing so can cause a big cracking issue.

So here's a debrief to try to keep this thread on topic and less confusing:

1. I adjusted my forward and reversing settings as reverse was not engaging.
    2. After adjustment, forward would slip out but reverse was perfect.
    3. Reset forward to original teeth setting. (I had marked them prior)
    4. Now I have 500-600 extra RPM. Yes, odd indeed.
    5. Have determined it's not slipping and artifically showing better engine rev because of poor engagement.
    6. One thing I did between the forward adjustment and then setting it back was to rev the engine pretty high and just read the rpms while in neutral. I was a litte afraid of throwing a rod or harming my old engine but I did run it at about 2200 rpm for about 30-seconds with my fingers crossed. Some of you may say, "why the hell did you do that?" Regardless, it's done and nothing blew up...lol...
    7. Per #4 above, after that rev up test was when I set the forward back to the original settings.
    8. Theory...could it be I knocked some carbon or something off inside the engine and now it has better power output? The "only" abnormal thing I did was to rev it up to 2200. Nothing else I did should be able to increase the same rpms I've had for 13-years.

So, all seems to be well. Reverse is working perfectly, Forward is firm, but maybe a little less firm to engage than it was, even as it's set back to its original adjustment.

Maybe someone can tell me if I accidentally cleaned the inside of my engine by running it as such high rpms, thus, giving me 500-600 new rpms and about 1.25 more kts at full throttle.
    Rob--

"Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little."

1968 C&C Invader 36' / Late Model Atomic4
    https://www.tumblr.com/sherloch7

sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Yes it is possible to clean the cylinders out a bit BUT that also indicates something is amiss with the carb fuel mixture or you got the C-advance working again.

How do the plugs look? Also give a twist of the rotor under the cap to be sure it is moving freely.

Can't really think of much else to cause that sort of change.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• RobH2
        • Dec 2009

Part of what's kind of buried in this long thread is that in the midst of this, I installed a new Indigo Ignition system the day before the transmission adjustments. So, new plugs (old not fouled), wires, cap, infrared rotor, coil and microprocessor controller.

Some might argue, "there you go, new ignition, better rpms." But, I did my rpm tests after that new ignition and it was the same. The engine just starts instantaneously now instead of turning over a few times. The new ignition did not affect my rpms.

So, I guess I'm leaning on "something in the engine got knocked off" for now. Anyway, I'm glad to have the rpms so no complaint there. It's just an enigma how I got them.
        Rob--

sigpic

Comment

• Garry D
          • Aug 2022

Collar adjustment reversing gear.

Originally posted by Don Moyer View Post
          Here's a clip from our reversing gear video, to give you some idea of the style and content. This video describes the operating concept of the reversing gear, as well as instructions for adjustment and maintenance, and is available in both DVD and VHS formats.

Don
          That was a good CD Don I bought all three. One question when you said adjusting the collar. You said adjust it looking from the rear and turning it clockwise to tighten the plates is that right. I guess what I am asking is you are looking from the rear of the engine pointing forward not looking aft. My current reversing gear doesnt seem to have a neutral its always turning a little bit and im told this is normal.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Many of us have a drive shaft rollover while in what we think is neutral but if you fiddle with the shifter a bit you should be able to stop the shaft, that is find real neutral. If you cannot then back off one tooth.

Comment

• RobH2
              • Dec 2009

Thanks for the feedback. I have to adjust it again this spring. I should be able to get it just like I need it with all of this good info.
              Rob--

sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

From Don:
                To open up his neutral zone a bit, it’s best to back off on the reverse adjustment a half turn or so – not a tooth or so on the forward adjusting collar.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
                X