• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Allow Me to Clarify

What I mean to say is that a vessel connected to shore power when loads are present should "never" use a multi stage charger as a maintenance charger. The reason for this is that most of the multi stage chargers are keyed on voltage. Hence when a connected system experiences a load such as a refrigerator which will momentarily drop the voltage, the charger will revert to bulk charge. By the type equilibrium voltage has been restored and the refrigerator stops cycling the process is ready to repeat. The batteries thus receive consecutive blasts at very high voltage when they don't really need it. The result is battery boiling.

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

Hanley, my statpower specifically says that it is to used as a power supply, while charging batteries. It is a 3 step charger.
      That is what the company says.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/at...1&d=1305339750 I had the Pro Sport 20 hard wired while living aboard. It wouldn't stop overcharging the batteries. Now I use the IOTA 30 constant voltage maintainer and rarely add water.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
          Hanley, my statpower specifically says that it is to used as a power supply, while charging batteries. It is a 3 step charger.
          That is what the company says.
          The instructions for Sony's Guest 2610 specifically say not to have loads on while charging.

Reference:

page 3, item 2.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

I have not really used 12 volt power when the charger is plugged in. Only a few lights here and there. So I really cant say either way. My charger is 12 years old. The lights on the charger are strange. The 5 amp charge light stays on, and the lights never change. The batteries are always charged. I can see when it is charging, by a volt meter.

Always good to hear other people's experiences.

Comment

Working...
            X