• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

8D battery

Hi Guys,

I have a 90 amp alternator on my boat with one starter battery and one deep cycle. I was thinking of putting a large 8D 12V on board to run as the house battery instead of the deep cycle.

My thinking is that the alternator could easily keep it charged and that it could handle the electrical draw of the weekend overnighters on the boat. Am I on sound course thinking this way or is there more to it.

Your thoughts please.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

An 8D battery is about 225 amp/hours. Using a fixed point 13.8 volt regulator, you will NEVER get it charged up all the way and it will die from sulfation. You'll need a 3 stage regulator for this to work out well.
    BTDT

Originally posted by Maurice View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have a 90 amp alternator on my boat with one starter battery and one deep cycle. I was thinking of putting a large 8D 12V on board to run as the house battery instead of the deep cycle.

My thinking is that the alternator could easily keep it charged and that it could handle the electrical draw of the weekend overnighters on the boat. Am I on sound course thinking this way or is there more to it.

Your thoughts please.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Mo..we need more info..joe is of course correct, if you don't have some better regulation than the original stuff. With a big honkin' alternator like that one would assume a different regulator to be installed to accommodate, but ASSUME & all that.

SO..you'd better give us more details of everything that is between the alternator belt and the battery post!
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Mo - First of all you will never get more than 60 amps out of that alternator but even at 60 amps it could charge the battery given enough time.It would make it a lot easier if you had an adjustable multistage regulator. I tried an 8D on my boat and found that it was a bear to horse around and of course the boat has to be configured to accept it. Whatever size battery you get it (or they) must be deep cycle. An ordinary starting 8D won't last a week as a house battery. I also tried 4D, a little better but not much. I have found that the best batteries on a boat are group 31 deep cycle flooded, simple to handle, cheap to replace, easy to isolate on switches, available everywhere. I buy only deep cycle now since a 31 can easily start the A4 and I have complete flexibility as to which battery is on line. FWIW. Regards, Hanley

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Hanley touched on my aversion to big batteries, size and weight. I can fit a few G27's or 31's in smaller spaces and can lift them when needed.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

By far the cheapest way to get decent deep cycle batteries is a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• Mo
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2007

Well, so much for that idea. Hanley, I think I will continue on as you have. I might as well buy 2 new deep cycles.

Thanks to everyone for the input.
              Mo
              Mo

"Odyssey"
              1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
              The optimist expects it to change.
              The realist adjusts the sails.
              ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

I just want to add my agreement that the Trojan is a top quality battery but I don't think they can be had cheaper than the NAPA battery.

Comment

Working...
                X