• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

"HOT" Facet Fuel Pump?

I searched the forum and couldn't find any discussion about this...

I noticed today that my Facet Electric fuel pump (2-3 PSI) was "hot" to the touch after running.
    I don't have one of those fancy laser digital jobs so I don't know HOW hot, but too hot to keep my finger on it for more than a sec or two.
    Has anyone ever noticed this on theirs?
    (Ok mechanical boyz, no smart arse comments!)
    I checked the FACET web site and they do say the Operating Temperature Range: -40F to 180F BUT I'm assuming they mean the operating ENVIRONMENT?

Here are some details:

• It was hot here today. 100°
    • This was after about a 45 minute run.
    • The pump is on a bulkhead. Not engine mounted.
    • Racor upstream. Polish filter downstream. (See pic)
    • Pump was running normal. No cavitation.
    • Full tank of fresh gas.

I didn't have any issues. The engine runs perfect.
    I'm just surprised that it can get so hot considering what it's pumping!

Anyway, just wondering if it's normal...
    Attached Files
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

hot pump

Jerry - Is it possible you have a blocked tank vent which might make the pump work really hard?

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

No. I'm certain the vent is clear. (I replaced that vent hose during the winter)
      The tank is completely full, so I guess it IS possible there is less air in there to help pressure "push", therefore causing the pump to have to "pull" harder?
      There aren't any issues other than the pump feeling hot to the touch.
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

If the tank is full, and there is any sag in the vent line, it is possible for the vent to be "constructively" blocked.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Roads - everything in that engine compartment looks so pristine and clean that it is hard to imagine anything going wrong in there!

Can we have a "pin-up of the month" published of the engine?

Comment

• roadnsky
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

Thanks 67 (blushing here)

Hanley, I guess that is certainly a possible scenario.
            I'm actually going back to the boat this evening for a Father/Son BBQ.
            (Happy Father's Day everyone!)
            I'll try running it a bit with the fuel filler cap off and see if it's any cooler.

So, I guess you're saying it shouldn't be hot normally?
            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
            sigpic
            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Also investigate that upstream filter for resistance.

Comment

• rigspelt
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2008

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
                I noticed today that my Facet Electric fuel pump (2-3 PSI) was "hot" to the touch after running. I don't have one of those fancy laser digital jobs so I don't know HOW hot, but too hot to keep my finger on it for more than a sec or two. Has anyone ever noticed this on theirs?
                I don't know whether the pump normally feels hot in operation, but if not then here is a thought. I think the pump draws up to 2 amps in operation, and when attached to the engine it grounds through its bracket to the engine block. Could this be relevant information in a pump mounted on a bulkhead? Is there a good ground?
                1974 C&C 27

Comment

• ArtJ
                  • Sep 2009

Defective Facet fuel pump

I have had a facet pump become too hot to touch a number of years back
                  At the time, investigated with Don Moyer and we found that Facet had
                  a bad batch of pumps out there. I recently saw a note by Don mentioning
                  that some of these bad pumps may be still out there in distributors inventory
                  or on board as spares.

My recommendation is to remove the pump immediately and speak to
                  Don with regard to identifying which facet pumps have this defect

Regards

Art

Comment

• fvigeant
                    • Apr 2008

I noticed your racor has a plastic bowl... plastic won;t casue this problem but by regulartion it should be metal... I coudln;t see the #s on the filter element but are you sure it is for gas and not diesel? #2 if you don't have pooling in the vent can you blow through it? (could your anti-siph be plugged?).... last but not least do you have a strainer on your tank pick up that may be plugged?

Comment

• thatch
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2009

"Not such a hot idea"

roadnsky,
                      Moyer's information on the defective Facet pumps can be found in the "tech tips/Faq's" section under Facet fuel pump failures. You can bet that everyone with a Facet pump will be reaching for it the next time they're at the boat. Excessive heat in a fuel pump is definately a bad idea for a couple of reasons.
                      Tom

Comment

• roadnsky
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rigspelt View Post
                        I don't know whether the pump normally feels hot in operation, but if not then here is a thought. I think the pump draws up to 2 amps in operation, and when attached to the engine it grounds through its bracket to the engine block. Could this be relevant information in a pump mounted on a bulkhead? Is there a good ground?
                        Rigs-
                        Good question.
                        I do have a ground running from the pump bracket to the engine ground.
                        You can see it in the pic, blue connector on the bracket.
                        BUT when you mention it, it brought that cheap connector to my attention.
                        I've got a proper waterproof ring terminal to replace it with.
                        I'll check the entire ground connection while I'm at it.
                        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                        sigpic
                        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• roadnsky
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ArtJ View Post
                          I have had a facet pump become too hot to touch a number of years back...
                          Originally posted by thatch
                          Moyer's information on the defective Facet pumps can be found in the "tech tips/Faq's" section under Facet fuel pump failures. You can bet that everyone with a Facet pump will be reaching for it the next time they're at the boat. Excessive heat in a fuel pump is definately a bad idea for a couple of reasons.
                          Art & Tom-
                          Yes, I'm aware of the notice of Facet issues but thought it was PRIOR to the "E" Series. This one is an "E".
                          In any event, I'm gonna do some more troubleshooting today an keep an eye one it.
                          I'll report back with findings, of course.
                          I agree, I bet everyone is gonna give their pumps a "feel" this week!
                          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                          sigpic
                          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• roadnsky
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by fvigeant View Post
                            I noticed your racor has a plastic bowl... plastic won;t casue this problem but by regulartion it should be metal... I coudln;t see the #s on the filter element but are you sure it is for gas and not diesel? #2 if you don't have pooling in the vent can you blow through it? (could your anti-siph be plugged?).... last but not least do you have a strainer on your tank pick up that may be plugged?
                            Yeah, I was wondering if somebody was gonna mention that.
                            It's an old pic but the best one I had of the pump.
                            I replaced the Racor with a proper one during winter maintenance.
                            (You can sorta see it in this pic)

The vent tube is clear. I ran the engine last night with the filler cap off.
                            The pump was still pretty hot.
                            Not as bad as before, but I only ran it for 10 minutes and the outside AIR temp wasn't 100° anymore, it was down to 82°, so not quite the same condition.

The strainer could possibly be RESTRICTED, but I'm sure it's not plugged.
                            I have good flow on the downstream side of the pump.
                            (Yes Dave, I'm gonna get a pressure gauge in there! )

Again, I don't have any issues with the engine running.
                            It runs just fine. (OIL @ 40 / TEMP @ 165°)
                            Just a concern about that pump temp.

Thanks for all of the suggestions...
                            Attached Files
                            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                            sigpic
                            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• fvigeant
                              • Apr 2008

My gut says you have a restriction on your pickup tube strainer. A bit odd but electric fuel pumps rely on fuel flow as a coolent plus a restriction would cause your fuel pump to have to work harder (with less "coolent")...double trouble. As a general rule of thumb for autos (essentially the same pump if electric) restricted fuel flow with electric pumps are cited as causing premature pump failure and in some cases the pump can produce a whining noise especially when the tank is below 1/2 (theory is high junk/gal content further restricts the strainer). Since this pump does not appear original did you replace the pickup strainer "sock" when replacing the pump?

Comment

Working...
                              X