X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark Millbauer
    • Sep 2008

Jim,

An ongoing exaust leak at the manifold to head can cause a burnt exhaust valve. Do you recall hearing a slight tapping or popping sound in the manifold area when the engine was running? How does the manifold gasket and mating are look?
    Mark
    C30 "Kismet"

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

An air leak can cause the engine to run lean, which means it runs hot. This can cause a burned valve.

Never heard of an exhaust leak causing a burned valve. How does that work?

Comment

• Mark Millbauer
        • Sep 2008

I'll give this a shot but this is old school stuff that I learned in college auto shop a looong time ago.
        The theory as I understood it was that an exhaust leak at the manifold can significantly decrease the exhaust back pressure of the affected cylinder. Most A4's, particularly if they are pushing exhaust through a water-lift system do have some back pressure. With less back pressure on the cylinder, the cylinder can then be allowed to take in a larger more oxygen and fuel enriched volume of fuel. That charge would then burn at a higher temperature. Any carbon in the exhaust valve area would therefore burn as well and as that hot air blew by the valve face, the face would slowly, over time, burn and disintegrate. Once there is and area on the valve face or seat that degrades enough to let just the slightest bit of exhaust gas by, the erosion advances faster and faster. There may also be a slight chance that some of exhaust gasses move back and forth a bit, again due to back pressure and the design of the exhaust system, and it's possible then that a bit of air could be sucked in through an exhaust leak at the manifold. More air means more oxygen which means more heat.
        Any of the other previously described theory's are also likely causes as would be timing issues.
        We don't see too many burned valves anymore due to the myriad changes in engine and fuel system management. We used to see a lot more burned valves--almost always exhaust--on older technology cars. Our A4's are older technology.

I could also be totally off the mark.
        Mark
        C30 "Kismet"

Comment

• romantic comedy
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

Mark, it is coming back to me now. I remember that back pressure stuff.

Comment

• jpian0923
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2010

I did some work/investigating/cleanup tonight. The culprit is likely "Carbon"!
            On the block between the piston and valve was carbon build up that I actually thought was part of the block casting.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jpian0923; 12-03-2013, 10:26 AM.
            "Jim"
            S/V "Ahoi"
            1967 Islander 29
            Harbor Island, San Diego
            2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• jpian0923
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2010

Found this video.

[YOUTUBE]7GEmuQa3dPY[/YOUTUBE]
              Last edited by jpian0923; 12-03-2013, 10:27 AM.
              "Jim"
              S/V "Ahoi"
              1967 Islander 29
              Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• jpian0923
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2010

After chipping the carbon off. The valves weren't able to seat due to carbon buildup.
                Attached Files
                "Jim"
                S/V "Ahoi"
                1967 Islander 29
                Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• jpian0923
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2010

While cleaning out the water passages in the head and block I decided to remove the water jacket side plate and this is what I found...Sea grass. There is so much other junk inside the waterjacket though. The grass is unusual but there is so much other stuff in there...mostly rusted waterjacket/block stuff. I'm wondering if this junk could have contributed to the burnt valve. I was running 140 temp but for only about 10 minutes to get to sailing grounds and 10 minutes to get back to the slip. You can see I have two of the Water jacket side plate repair kits (2 or so years and they are still holding up well). I recommend them.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jpian0923; 12-04-2013, 01:07 AM.
                  "Jim"
                  S/V "Ahoi"
                  1967 Islander 29
                  Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Maybe a raw water strainer is in your future?

Comment

• jpian0923
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2010

Hanley,
                      Agree. Thought my hull cleaner would have notified me though. Might be time for a new hull cleaner.
                      "Jim"
                      S/V "Ahoi"
                      1967 Islander 29
                      Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Jim, I'd also recommend converting the remaining holes in the side plate to studs...even if they don't need the repair studs yet.. Moyer has a cool kit for that too. Maybe Ken will sell you half a kit..
                        -Shawn
                        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                        sigpic

Comment

• jpian0923
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2010

I'm considering buying a valve seat cutter. Does anyone know the specs I would need to get the right cutter for the A4? My overhaul manual is on the boat and I'm not sure if it includes all the specs I would need.
                          Also, any recommendations (by personal experience) for where to get one?
                          Last edited by jpian0923; 12-04-2013, 04:56 PM.
                          "Jim"
                          S/V "Ahoi"
                          1967 Islander 29
                          Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Mar 2010

You should contact this company. I have bought tools from them and they know their business. http://www.goodson.com/ But if you are thinking of doing what I think you are thinking of doing please remember that to cut those seats you must have good valve guides the installation of which on board could be challenging.

Comment

• jpian0923
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2010

Yes I'm thinking of doing what you think I'm thinking of doing.
                              I have not yet measured the valve guides but I think you think my guides are worn beyond specs, and you may be correct, I'm not convinced they are yet.
                              But I say that based on only one thing. I de-oiled the stems and guides on a few and upon trying to reinsert the valves into the guides I found it difficult to get them back in. It was a tight fit with no play. They were the right valves for each guide too.
                              I can post some video of this to see what the consensus is.
                              "Jim"
                              S/V "Ahoi"
                              1967 Islander 29
                              Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Mar 2010

The only way to know for sure is to measure valve stem OD and guide ID with the appropriate tools and do the math. I cannot see the videos but I do study the pics carefully. Sounds like you have the situation in hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X