X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhwelch
    • Dec 2005

Hanley --

My charge voltage is 14.4 and eventually it drops down to a float voltage (non-settable)
    of about 13.4. Since I'm on the boat for extended periods, and sometimes anchored
    for a long time (either waiting out a series of storms or enjoying a beautiful spot
    in Maine) being able to properly recharge my battery is important. If I'm stopped for
    a while I'll go easy on the use of lights and the computer and let the solar panel
    keep the battery recharged. My "bank" is two Group 27s, but only one is selected
    at any given time. The solar charge controller is hard wired to my primary one.

-jonathan

Comment

• fixxxer0
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
      FixxxerO - I was wondering why you are so intent on external regulation?

I am going to be buying all new batteries (AGMs) at a significant cost, and want to make sure they get charged properly (bulk - absorb - float).

I want to get the most life out of them as possible.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

FixxxerO - I read you loud and clear. You are absolutely on the right track. As a cruiser myself, I appreciate the conservation of batteries. Sorry we got so far off the beam; seems to happen a lot with this outfit. Have a great season! Regards, Hanley

Comment

• fixxxer0
          • Jun 2007

been trying to contact API... they keep taking down my info but not calling back lol

maybe they will have some difinitive answer on whether or not its "okay" to convert. aside from voiding the warranty which i am fine with.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

new alternator

It seems the long way around to buy an alternator, remove or defeat the internal regulator, and void the warranty. There must be alternatives to Balmar and the other expensive brands. Have you checked the Transpo website?

Comment

• fixxxer0
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
              It seems the long way around to buy an alternator, remove or defeat the internal regulator, and void the warranty. There must be alternatives to Balmar and the other expensive brands. Have you checked the Transpo website?

Well the Balmar is in the $700 range, they are what most consider the gold standard to 'P-type' alternators... but I have a brand new API 65 amp I found for $90 shipped to my door, so I think its worth the little extra leg work to get it externally regulated.

I just got off the phone with API and they said its not a problem at all to install external regulation. The tech I spoke to said it would actually reduce the load on the alternator and not shorten its life. He said mostly all alternator repair shops could do the job for me thats its not too complicated.

ETA: I did notice AmplePower makes what is supposed to be a good externally regulated alternator for the A4, but again, price is up in the $500+ range.
              Last edited by fixxxer0; 06-03-2010, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

external regulation

I agree. The notion that externally regulating an alternator originally set up for internal regulation would be harmful is nonsense, provided the change over is done correctly. Actually, the Balmer (700 series?) is a waste of money for A4 mounting in the standard position, since you cannot spin it fast enough to get the "good" part of the charge curve. Make sure that your sensing circuit is completely independent of all other loads.

Comment

• fixxxer0
                  • Jun 2007

now the search for a good (affordable) 3/4 stage voltage regulator begins.

Comment

Working...
                  X