• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Facet Pump Dead?

Engine started like a champ today - one turn and off it went. Big smile from the Admiral. Engine shortly died, and stayed dead - no fuel. Frown from the Admiral..
    Preliminary diagnosis is the Facet fuel pump, but I'm not yet convinced (ie: to the point of buying a new one). Anyone have any diagnostic steps to take with a Facet pump? Verify dead? Restore to life?? Pump is only a year or two old - why would it suddenly die?
    Tomorrow (time permitting) I plan on removing the 12V solenoid shutoff valve and replacing with a manual ball valve, and replacing the S3240 fuel filter element with new. Also taking along a manual pump to give the system a good prime after reassembly. I'll probably pull a suction on the hose that connects to the carb, pulling fuel over the syphon, through the new filter, through the fuel pump, and right to the carb. Pump then (if good) should maintain pressure.
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
    Preliminary diagnosis is the Facet fuel pump, but I'm not yet convinced (ie: to the point of buying a new one). Anyone have any diagnostic steps to take with a Facet pump? Verify dead? Restore to life??
    Al-
    Was the pump "Pumping"? (making a clicking sound)
    Did you check by jumping across the OPSS?
    Assuming you don't have a Fuel Pressure Gauge inline, then removing a hose to verify fuel pumping would tell you for sure.

...I plan on removing the 12V solenoid shutoff valve and replacing with a manual ball valve...
    Pump is only a year or two old - why would it suddenly die?
    I'd be more suspicious of that shutoff valve?
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Agree about the solenoid valve. Will replace with a manual ball valve as a first step.
      Didn't notice the pump clicking. But then I didn't have my hearing aids so who knows??
      Current plan (after installing the ball valve & new filter) is to pull fuel through with a manual pump as far as the carb inlet, then connect to the carb (which has a gauge) and go from there.

Comment

• Crazer
        • Sep 2011

Does the pump have its own fuse? Not that I would know anything about that...
        -Avery

Rhodes Swiftsure 33 SV “Clio”
        Sparrow’s Point, MD

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Yes, the pump has it's own 5 amp fuse - first thing I checked. Fuse looks good and 12V to the hot side of the OPSS. As OP came up, also had voltage to the fuel pump, but only about 10V? 2V drop in the switch - perhaps too much draw to the fuel pump or the solenoid valve? Don't know the normal drop across the OPSS.. Anyway, the draw to the solenoid valve will be gone - see what happens.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
            Yes, the pump has it's own 5 amp fuse - first thing I checked. Fuse looks good and 12V to the hot side of the OPSS. As OP came up, also had voltage to the fuel pump, but only about 10V? 2V drop in the switch - perhaps too much draw to the fuel pump or the solenoid valve? Don't know the normal drop across the OPSS.. Anyway, the draw to the solenoid valve will be gone - see what happens.
            That voltage drop could be the problem. I lose less than a volt thru an OPSS. That 10.5 volts over time could fry a pump. What else is on the circuit with the pump? Are you running the pump from coil+? A lot of factors could be involved here. I like to keep sensitive stuff on dedicated circuits; so I have both ignition and fuel pump on separate OPSS.
            Last edited by hanleyclifford; 08-22-2015, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Voltage drop across the OPSS?
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                Voltage drop across the OPSS?
                Yet to be determined. There could also be resistance at the two terminals or for that matter any where in the circuit. Definitely should not be losing 2 volts across that switch.

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Shouldn't be losing ANY volts through the switch. It's a mechanical switch, not a dimmer.

Not suggesting that's the reason for the shutdown but it's not right. May as well address it while you're at it.
                  Last edited by ndutton; 08-23-2015, 07:52 AM.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Nov 2008

Al:
                    This is a long shot but anyway: If there is a wire co joined with the wire to the fuel pump that goes to the R terminal of the solenoid let it loose at the starter motor, pull it around the engine and inspect it.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Shouldn't be losing ANY volts through the switch. It's a mechanical switch, not a dimmer.

Not suggesting that's the reason for the shutdown but it's not right. May as well address it while you're at it.
                      We are not talking about a top quality industrial switch such as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC2Hx7n7KY4 The OPSS we get from NAPA or other boutique are more like the early ones that could leak and affect the electrical connection.
                      Last edited by hanleyclifford; 08-23-2015, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                        The OPSS we get from NAPA or other boutique are more like the early ones that could leak and affect the electrical connection.
                        Well, I'm not privy do a difference between early ones vs. later ones but no matter. If it's imparting a voltage loss when it shouldn't it's a candidate for replacement on any boat maintained to a high standard.

What exactly are these differences between early ones and others?
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Well, I'm not privy do a difference between early ones vs. later ones but no matter. If it's imparting a voltage loss when it shouldn't it's a candidate for replacement on any boat maintained to a high standard.

What exactly are these differences between early ones and others?
                          I couldn't find a cross sectional view of the cheap type OPSS but my suspicion is that they have a moving seal, or none at all, and at the prices I've seen probably no diaphragm. Since the subject has come up I'll see if I have one downstairs and I'll break it up for a look see. I agree that such a component should have little resistance, but can readily understand how a slow deterioration of connection could sneak up on an installation until the point of failure of itself or another component.

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                            . . . . but can readily understand how a slow deterioration of connection could sneak up on an installation until the point of failure of itself or another component.
                            Hence the measured voltage loss indicates replacement.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

Hence the measured voltage loss indicates replacement.
                              It would seem so. What are your thoughts on running a Facet at 10 volts for any period of time? Still looking for an OPSS but I'm afraid they're all on the boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X