X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

There is really no necessity for gasket sealer on the manifold to block and sealer should not be used on the exhaust gasket. However my personal preference on any old marine engine is to use Permatex Aviation grade on all gaskets and senders with the exception of exhaust, carburetor and the carb to manifold gaskets of which there are 2 in many cases. A coating of grease also works well however it is a sure thing with the Permatex Av grade. The only downside to using the Permatex is incase of a redo there is more clean up time and with it any redo is far more unlikely as time and hours go by .

Most important is did you "reset and add Permatex" to fresh studs?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Golfdad75
      • Sep 2014

Am doing that as we speak Dave. I don’t think I want to shower down on the studs do I?

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

What do you mean "shower down the studs"?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Golfdad75 View Post
          Am doing that as we speak Dave. I don’t think I want to shower down on the studs do I?
          The studs should be clean above the coarse threads (where they have been coated with Permatex #2, or some other puppy poo concoction) , but the fine threads on top should be cleaned and oiled with light machine oil to gain maximum torquing accuracy.

Comment

Working...
          X