What tools do I need/How should I prep for cleaning / fixing the carb this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by LemonShark2 View Post
    On another note, is it possible Algae could be covering my depth sounder transducer? It reads a permanent 2'...
    If there is any way to calibrate the depth meter read out try twisting the set screw and see if the depth reading changes.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by LemonShark2 View Post
      When I think a bit harder - maybe my speed meter Isn't reading properly... Ill try measuring MPH with my phone to confirm.

My bottom is covered in a bit of algae, but nothing too serious. Would algae create a significant reduction in speed? Its got a 3 bladed indigo prop, I'm not sure of the size.

On another note, is it possible Algae could be covering my depth sounder transducer? It reads a permanent 2'...
      Growth will reduce speed big time...just a layer of growth can cut your sailing hull speed in half. Prop growth...same thing or worse. C&C photoalbum has a hull speed calculator. Expect your boat to reach hull speed when first put in and in calm weather. On a calm day and you notice hull speed drop, even by a point or two of a knot, with no obvious engine issue...time to check the bottom.

EDIT: If you have run your batteries low expect some loss of hull speed until they charge....other than that...check the bottom.
      Last edited by Mo; 04-16-2016, 12:44 AM.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
        If there is any way to calibrate the depth meter read out try twisting the set screw and see if the depth reading changes.

TRUE GRIT
        Possible especially if the boat has been sitting for period of time. Transducer can be shot as well. Keep in mind that if its an old transducer you might be able to buy a newer one and look up the wiring for both the old one and new one on-line. Most work although the wire colors won't match. I've put a couple of new transducers on older units and had to match different color wires...worked perfect. Just have to do the research on both.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Mo View Post
          Possible especially if the boat has been sitting for period of time. Transducer can be shot as well. Keep in mind that if its an old transducer you might be able to buy a newer one and look up the wiring for both the old one and new one on-line. Most work although the wire colors won't match. I've put a couple of new transducers on older units and had to match different color wires...worked perfect. Just have to do the research on both.
          Yes.
          I've had a couple of different depth sounders on the same transducer after one of them died.
          The reason to try to adjust the depth at the read out is to determine if the transducer or the electronics have a problem. If you can't vary the depth with the calibration setting the electronics are toast.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

FWIW

I used to have transducer/sounder problems such as stuck readings, fluttering, and no reading. When I put a 1 ohm 10 watt resistor in front of the power terminal the problem disappeared. The theory is that the sounder does not like full alternator voltage.

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

Hanley, does the sounder work with the reduced voltage when sailing. Or, knowing you, do you have a resistor bypass.

This winter I had a rat eat thru the wire coming out of the thru hull transducer. Makes me crazy. I have not even tried to fix it yet.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

[QUOTE= transducer for a Standard DS-10; I'll dig it out if you're interested. Edit: I goofed; it's actually a DST 52 (frequency 200kHz) long stem,
                Last edited by hanleyclifford; 04-16-2016, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X