Time to tune up, should I go electronic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimF
    • Jun 2007

Time to tune up, should I go electronic?

I have been toying with getting the electronic ignition for my A4 ever since I bought the boat (7th sailing season coming up). The boats was professionally tuned that first summer and has not been tuned since. I rarely reach even 50 hours a season on the motor. I figure I needto at least tune it this year, and since I have never done this I thought maybe I should install the electronce ignition module. My mechanic, who will not work on the motor any more in the boat due to age, argues against electonic ignition. Is there a consensus about this on this board? Bear in mind that I don't know what I am doing, and that it is a very tight engine space.

Thanks in advance
    Jim Facey
  • Ball Racing
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2011

If you can keep the coil cool, electronic ignition seems to be a nice upgrade.
    But you need to put the correct ballast resistor on the power feeding the coil, to lower the voltage the coil sees.
    Tyring to keep the Bay's Wooden Boat's history from dying off completely.
    Daniel

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Look Before Leap

There are a number of threads on this forum on this subject. I recommend you read them all before proceeding. The big problem seems to be frying coils due to too much voltage. IMO the only advantage to electronic ignition is not having to worry about changing/adjusting points. You certainly do not need the megaspark EI offers.

Comment

• old-sailer
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Ball Racing View Post
        If you can keep the coil cool, electronic ignition seems to be a nice upgrade.
        But you need to put the correct ballast resistor on the power feeding the coil, to lower the voltage the coil sees.
        Another option is to replace the coil with an automotive unit. You can check the capacity of your existing coil and replace it with one better suited to the increased voltage. JC Whitney has many to choose from.
        Mike
        1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/sh...highlight=coil For those contemplating EI.

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

In the interest of accuracy

The big problem seems to be frying coils due to too much voltage.
            It isn't the voltage by itself that's the issue, it's the amperage which is a function of voltage AND resistance. Recently we went through a lengthy and seemingly complicated discussion about this but the bottom line was the ignition system should not exceed 4 amps current. The simple solution was with EI be sure the coil or coil/resistor combination added up to 4 ohms resistance. That covers you for all practical voltages present in our installations.

The even simpler solution was/is to get a Moyer coil. They're already of sufficient resistance, no additional resistor required.
            Another option is to replace the coil with an automotive unit.
            I'm unaware of any difference between a "marine" coil and an automotive one. Anyone who knows, please elucidate.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

La Difference

Automotive coils cost less than "marine" coils and can be had at your local boutique.

Comment

• Laker
                • Sep 2010

"Is there a consensus about this on this board? "

Ummm ...
                1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• David Masury
                  • Oct 2004

I feel that the electronic ignition is perhaps the best upgrade you can make to an A4. In the ten years that I have had mine, it has been reliable and without problems.

If you are doing upgrades, do the PVC valve as well, and if you are fleeling flush go with the fresh water cooling system...

With those done you will have a modern flat head engine.

David

Comment

• smosher
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2006

Laker, Whats the question, price of coils, the use of EI or the adding of a ballast resistor.

As it was stated when using the EI, coil resistance needs to be at least 4 ohms,
                    esp when the alt output is at 14 volts. My coil is 3.3 ohms and I added a .8 ohm ballast resistor to the primary side of the coil. This was a large discussion
                    on this last summer / fall and Indigo makes reference to it on their web site.

Steve

Comment

• ArtJ
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                      It isn't the voltage by itself that's the issue, it's the amperage which is a function of voltage AND resistance. Recently we went through a lengthy and seemingly complicated discussion about this but the bottom line was the ignition system should not exceed 4 amps current. The simple solution was with EI be sure the coil or coil/resistor combination added up to 4 ohms resistance. That covers you for all practical voltages present in our installations.

The even simpler solution was/is to get a Moyer coil. They're already of sufficient resistance, no additional resistor required.
                      I'm unaware of any difference between a "marine" coil and an automotive one. Anyone who knows, please elucidate.
                      Neil

IS the resistor required with the Petronix ignition as well as the other Brand
                      or is it only Indigo that needs it?

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                        • Jan 2007

Go 4 it!

There has been much banter on this site regarding the troubles of a very few. I have run an EI for 25+ years on mine now. The first one I had to build my own shutter for the distributor as it was a photo trigger and from a racing app~an old Allison. I used it until the Indigo kit became available and switched it out many years ago. I personally like the Indigo because of the indicator "lite" for troubleshooting of which I have not had to use yet. I bought the KIT ~ the EI, a coil and fresh wires. I have never had an issue of any kind!!!! I put on well over a hundred hours a year.
                        I feel that a lot of the problems have occured regarding coils is improper selection AND some charging systems are set for higher voltages adding to the issue. The type of ignition you get is a matter of chioce and economics. I have used the Pertronix units on many a dune buggie with much success as well as the old Allison HP ones I used in HP applications, some of those were rated to 16 amps and could lite a city! A 4 amp system is more than adaquate for the A-4.
                        Jim, if you are contimplating the move keep this in mind. Once you have it "set" all you will need to do is check the adv mechanism once a year or so and a tune up is plugs. Even if you do a major tune in a few years all you need do is swap out parts as the timing adjustment will not move unless you move it. Also note the timing constantly changes as the points wear.
                        I'd did and would do again just what David M. said earlier!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ArtJ
                          • Sep 2009

I run trips that consist of 130 Nm each way several times a year up to Maine,
                          even down to NYC. I have had ignition failures. That is why I ask. Perhaps
                          some trips are not sufficiently long enough to stress and heat the coil
                          sufficiently to present the problem.

I have never had problems when going out for a day locally and intermittantly
                          using the engine for a couple hours at a time.

Regards

Comment

• tenders
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2007

I'm with Neptune and Masury on this. Nobody trades in EI for points -- not car owners, not tractor owners, not small engine owners, not A4 owners. Get a complete EI kit including coil and wires for peace of mind and sail on.

Comment

• ILikeRust
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Laker View Post
                              "Is there a consensus about this on this board? "

Ummm ...
                              HA! Yeah, really - "consensus"? Wazzat?
                              - Bill T.
                              - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment