• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sproption
    • Mar 2010

Can't get the shaft off of the direct drive coupling

To all.

I am struggling to remove the shaft from the direct drive coupling. The coupling is a single piece.

I have used PB Blaster to no avail.

I have a bulkhead that is 4-6" from the coupling that prevents me from having much room for purchase of a heavy duty tool to mallet, pry or otherwise coax it off.

My boat is an Ericson 29.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt
  • CalebD
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

I hate to say this, but it may just be easier to cut your shaft in half to remove it from your boat. A new SS shaft should only cost around $250 and cutting your old shaft in half will greatly facilitate removing it from the boat.

When we decided to replace our old cutless bearing we attempted to remove the shaft in one piece but it was such a struggle with the limited access you describe. A minute or two with a fresh metal sawzall blade and it was all over versus hours of torture trying to force the shaft out of the coupling while doing boat yoga. Each section of old shaft was easy to remove from the boat and separating the coupling and prop from the shaft was simple when done on a work bench.

While you are doing all of this consider replacing the shaft log hose and hose clamps.

Good luck.
    Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
    A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• Trés 30
      • May 2014

Yeah, seems a waste but I'll be doing this in the fall in order to change cutlass bearing and stuffing box (and likely coupler).

Tried getting the coupling off last year when I had the engine out of its compartment, just to clean it up and add some paint, couldn't budge it. Tried using a 3-jaw gear puller, on loan from the auto store. Dented the end of the stainless shaft, then broke the puller. This was after PB blaster treatment, even removed the set screw and let it soak in the hole for a day or so.

It's pretty much one piece after 3.5 decades.

Extreme heat may have worked but being green to it didn't want to get that close to the fuel tank with a torch.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

The lesson (I learned it) is - get the split coupling from Moyer Marine.

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

I've still got my old shaft - 1" stainless x 6' long. Great for digging rocks out of the garden...

Comment

• tenders
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

My experience here:

This is a horrible job but if you have room fore-and-aft and at least 180 degrees around the coupling, I bet you can get it off.
            Another thought: spare the shaft, cut and replace the coupling with Moyer's split version.
            Last edited by tenders; 08-11-2015, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• sproption
              • Mar 2010

Thanks to you guys

Thanks to all.

Caleb and Tender, thanks for additional information! Excellent.

Caleb, wow...nice website. That is awesome. I hope to save myself some steps because your photos. A pic is worth a thousand words!

Matt

Comment

Working...
              X