X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimmy
    • Aug 2011

Source for fuel shut off solenoid?

I've been crawling around the internet, looking for a fuel shut off solenoid. I can find numerous products, but none that I would be willing to install in our application. Has anyone found/installed one with success that you would recommend? Obviously "explosion proof/ CSA / Coast Gaurd approved is required. Assuming it exisists, I think the proper location would be just before fuel pump?
    Background - always shut the fuel of on top of tank, but that involves asking someone to move and inserting myself, deep into the port lazzaret. I like the idea of killing the fuel, during a day sail, and a "flip the switch" solution is ideal, for both shut down, and start up.

Cheers
    Jimmy
    sigpic
    Jimmy
    C&C 29 MK1
    Erieau , Lake Erie
  • The Garbone
    • Dec 2013

Access to my tank cut off valve is under a hatch in the quarter berth, a real pain to get at. I installed one of these about a 10" away from the tank on the galley bulkhead with the inlet to the valve and hose between above the top of the tank so if the line splits it will not siphon fuel into the bilge. Fit perfect, I just capped the secondary port on the valve but it is nice to know I can add a second tank.

Gary
    78' Catalina 30 #1179
    www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Manual fuel valves are easy to find. What the OP wants is an electrical solenoid valve.
      These are not easy to find and introduce a new failure mode too.

Originally posted by The Garbone View Post
      http://amzn.com/B004XAFKB2

Access to my tank cut off valve is under a hatch in the quarter berth, a real pain to get at. I installed one of these about a 10" away from the tank on the galley bulkhead with the inlet to the valve and hose between above the top of the tank so if the line splits it will not siphon fuel into the bilge. Fit perfect, I just capped the secondary port on the valve but it is nice to know I can add a second tank.

https://svknotaclew.files.wordpress....6/img_0652.jpg
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Quite a variety offered here: http://www.12voltfuelvalves.com/12-v...ff-valves.html

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Each Too Their Own

Not to raise a sour note here but I like the idea of a manual shut off fuel valve near the fuel pump because it makes you get your nose in the engine area.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• edwardc
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2009

My 1977 Pearson 323 came OEM with a fuel shutoff solenoid valve mounted right on top of the tank. It was manufactuerd by FuelTrol, but I don't think they're still around. Perhaps you can find one off of a salvage boat.
            @(^.^)@ Ed
            1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
            with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
              Not to raise a sour note here but I like the idea of a manual shut off fuel valve near the fuel pump because it makes you get your nose in the engine area.

TRUE GRIT
              The OCD mechanic in me has to agree. However, I can relate to the idea of how cool it would be to shut off the engine, flip a switch, and raise the sail while the lady reclines on the cockpit cushions in her bikini undisturbed as she watches you master the ship under her gaze.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Nov 2008

A Sailor Would Never Do This. Or Would They????

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                flip a switch, and raise the sail while the lady reclines on the cockpit cushions in her bikini undisturbed as she watches you master the ship under her gaze.
                Try the old barnstormer's trick.
                The pilot and the lady are out for for a night flight on a warm spring night under a full moon. The pilot, unseen by the lady, pulls the choke out and the engine sputters to a stop. An emergency landing in the near by meadow becomes a necessity. The pilot fiddles with the engine. No start. There just happens to be a sleeping bag on board............
                After a couple of three hours the pilot tries the engine again. What do you know it starts. They fly away.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Imagine how cool you'll look motoring down current toward a closed drawbridge and the electric supply to your snazzy valve quits for any of a variety of reasons. Added complexity brings added risks. KISS
                  Last edited by ndutton; 08-03-2015, 08:50 PM.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                    Imagine how cool you'll look motoring down current toward a closed drawbridge and the electric supply to your snazzy valve quits for any of a variety of reasons. Added complexity brings added risks. KISS
                    Then you do the quick U-ey, drop the hook, save the day, and the Lady fairly swoons...

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Well, my lady appreciates an outing that's trouble free. So do I. Kinda hard to impress when your keester is sticking out of the engine space while you're troubleshooting.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Marian Claire
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Aug 2007

Jimmy.
                        I think the relative height of each part of the fuel system has to be considered when choosing shut off locations. If your fuel line leaves the top of the tank and drops down below fuel level, say to a filter, then up to the pump the shut off at the pump would not protect anything up stream. The shut off at the top of the tank would also have to be closed for full protection.
                        Had to deal with this when I rearranged my fuel system.
                        Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• roadnsky
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                          'zactly! (Neil forgets to point out that plumber's butt probably adding to the scenario)
                          Manual valve is the way to go.
                          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                          sigpic
                          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Jimmy
                            • Aug 2011

OK Guys, hang in there with me......
                            Attached is how I plan on building the fuel supply side.
                            Fuel Tank - Manual Shut Off - Solenoid Shut Off - Water Filter - Fuel Pump - Manul Shut Off - Polishing Filter - Pressure Gauge -Carb
                            Thought process is
                            ... solenoid is there as a temp shut off ( sailing/engines off for a few hours)
                            ...second shut off allows for easy filter change.
                            I do realize there are numerous conections, and every one is a possible leak/issue, however with double clamping and a little attention to detail, I can think this would work well. Please have add it....I'm open to suggestions

(John- Thanks for the imput-I have always sniffed the "exit" coweling, after starting blower, and prior to turning the key, so checking for fuel leaks is in my routine too. ( Just dont want to crawl into the lazz every time))

(As for the old Pilot trick, SWMBO would last about 60 seconds, before wrestling me for the tools.........hey wait.........that might work!)

Cheers
                            Jimmy
                            sigpic
                            Jimmy
                            C&C 29 MK1
                            Erieau , Lake Erie

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Dec 2008

I have posted previously about the electric solenoid fuel valve I purchased for my vessel...all rated for gasoline and the marine environment.

(Should point out that the system I made has a manual reroute line in case the solenoid conks out.)

Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 07-18-2015, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X