X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loki9
    • Jul 2011

Alternator repair

I thought some might appreciate this photo.

My alternator died the other day, or more correctly, I noticed it was dead the other day. It may have been dead or limping along for some time. I noticed because the batteries died while I was out sailing. I had the radio and a few instruments on for about 3 or 4 hours and when I went to start the A4, nothing. Now the batteries aren't the newest and I was planning to replace one of them this season anyway, so I did just that. With the new battery in place, the A4 fired right up, but the dead battery did not seem to be charging. So I removed the alternator and went looking for an old man in a one-eyed cave with greasy dog out front to test/repair it. Boy did I ever find one! Turns out the regulator was shot. It was soon replaced and I went on my way.

Check out the alternator test bench he had, which he said was pre-war 1930s vintage:

Jeff Taylor
    Baltic 38DP
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

I don't remember alternators much before the late 50's. Must have originally
    been for generators?

Comment

• Loki9
      • Jul 2011

I did see some markings referring to generators on it. Also might have been updated over the years, or the guy might have been wrong about the age. Still, You don't see devices with big knife switches like that anymore.
      Jeff Taylor
      Baltic 38DP

Comment

• ILikeRust
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

Don't forget alternators put out (after the rectifier) DC current. So I suppose you could, for certain purposes, use an old DC generator test rig to test the output of an alternator.

Just a theory I'm throwin' out there...
        - Bill T.
        - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Sure would.

It would work fine. They basically just spin the alt or generator voltage is voltage. The measuring is the easy part, the tough part is mounting and holding it. The other checks can be done without spinning either one.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Kelly
            Afourian MVP
            • Oct 2004

I need it!

I just read this after reading through the oxygen sensor thread.

That alternator/generator tester sure would give me peace of mind when I need to trouble shoot charging problems away from the dock. I'm thinking I could get that tester in my boat if I remove the galley and part of the port berth. But then I'll need some sort of 110V source...maybe some sort of generator setup I could fit where the head used to be (I'll have to take that out, too...)
            Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• smosher
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2006

Hmmm why did the diodes short ?

Steve

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

My alternator has needed diodes twice now over the years. Sometimes just a few of them go and you get partial output.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• marthur
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2004

Love that machine!
                  Mike

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

A blast from the past

The machine is intriguing from an historical standpoint but most likely contains no information that we are not able to monitor onboard with instruments now available to us, except possibly amperage being delivered to the field----hmmm...

Comment

Working...
                    X