X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BenCT
    • Nov 2022

House & Starter Battery Fuse Sizes

Ok, I'm pretty much done with the BoatHowTo Electric 101 class. Which is great. I recommend it for any novices. And I've read so many different people talking in general about fuses on house batteries and starter batteries. Almost all for other motors. I understand that you fuse for the wire. There is a back and forth on whether to fuse the starter battery...all that good stuff.

Here with the Atomic 4, everything I read according to Moyer and other sources we use a 4 gauge wire for our batteries. Which I have. Many people say their starting cranking amps is around 150 maybe up to 250.

Can people chime in on what you are doing with fusing for your house and cranking batteries? Specifically what amp fuse are you using, if any, and what gauge cable are you using?

I currently have two 27 group West Marine (800 MCA) house batteries and one 27 group "starter battery" (1050MCA). #4 Gauge wires. Nothing is fused and I'm looking at adding MRBF Terminal Fuses to all once I figure out what size fuse.
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

150amps. Breaker is better than fuse.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

This is what I use. https://www.bluesea.com/products/718...ace_Mount_150A The biggest problem is ganging up all the (-) cables on the one terminal. You need an extra post and some creative wiring.
      Last edited by hanleyclifford; 01-21-2024, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by BenCT View Post
        Ok, I'm pretty much done with the BoatHowTo Electric 101 class. Which is great. I recommend it for any novices. And I've read so many different people talking in general about fuses on house batteries and starter batteries. Almost all for other motors. I understand that you fuse for the wire. There is a back and forth on whether to fuse the starter battery...all that good stuff.

Here with the Atomic 4, everything I read according to Moyer and other sources we use a 4 gauge wire for our batteries. Which I have. Many people say their starting cranking amps is around 150 maybe up to 250.

Can people chime in on what you are doing with fusing for your house and cranking batteries? Specifically what amp fuse are you using, if any, and what gauge cable are you using?

I currently have two 27 group West Marine (800 MCA) house batteries and one 27 group "starter battery" (1050MCA). #4 Gauge wires. Nothing is fused and I'm looking at adding MRBF Terminal Fuses to all once I figure out what size fuse.
        I have measured the cranking amps of my engine at about 130. I do not currently have the starter fused, but if I did I would probably use a 200 amp fuse.
        4 gauge IMHO is light for the starter wire, I am using 2 gauge.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

4 gauge cable should be considered a minimum and length is a huge factor that may dictate a larger wire.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

I ran the wire calc for 6 feet from battery to engine at 150 amps and 3% voltage drop and got 1 gauge wire.
            I use 4 gauge for a lot, but the starter on my boat is on 2 gauge cable.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• BenCT
              • Nov 2022

That’s what I was getting at. If you run the ABYC amperage calcs the gauge doesn’t jive with the diagrams that I’ve been referring to for the starter battery that seem to be used without an issue by Atomic 4 owners. Having said that, a lot of the documentation I’m reading also says that the cranking load is so quick it’s not the same as a sustained load. The conduits don’t have time to heat up.

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

It isn't so much heating the wire up as making the engine hard to start.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                  It isn't so much heating the wire up as making the engine hard to start.
                  Agreed.The starting function is an electrically explosive event. The starter should be fed as much amperage and voltage as it wants so I fully concur with the #2 cable. Just make sure that the path back to the batteries is equal or better.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Jan 2007

As Hanley points out more often than not problems on marine DC systems are often found on the negative side as it "completes" the path. The negative side also is often overlooked by many backyard mechanics and PO's.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by BenCT View Post
                      That’s what I was getting at. If you run the ABYC amperage calcs the gauge doesn’t jive with the diagrams that I’ve been referring to for the starter battery that seem to be used without an issue by Atomic 4 owners. Having said that, a lot of the documentation I’m reading also says that the cranking load is so quick it’s not the same as a sustained load. The conduits don’t have time to heat up.
                      ABYC standards are all well and good for planning purposes and nice new installations, but in the salt water environment formerly sound calculations go south real fast. Battery lugs corrode, crimped cable loses strands at the terminals, corrosion creeps up into the cables themselves, and resistance begins to develop. When calculating your negative run to the batteries remember the engine itself is part of the circuit. Does it have resistance? If a cable in the starting circuit heats up you already have a problem. If you have a shunt in the negative side and a breaker (I do) you have created a potential bottleneck. I use 2/0 from the post to the breaker, and from the breaker to the shunt. Every installation is different; the point is, do not create resistance bottlenecks that could ever impede your biggest electrical load - the starter.

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

The wire size calculator will help you choose the correct electrical cable for your next installation.

For fun I ran it for 2 feet from engine to battery and still got 1 gauge. At 10 feet from engine to battery it goes to 1/0 gauge.
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

You make my point Joe, length is an important factor and I'll repeat, whatever the calculator returns for a wire gauge should be considered a minimum.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California
                          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
                          X