X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Val V
    • Apr 2013

Flywheel cover (sheetmetal vs castiron)

It seems the sheet metal flywheel cover was put on newer engines but does anyone know what year did it start? My A4 has cast iron cover and I presume its older (early 70s??)
    Catalina 30, 1977, #421
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Val V View Post
    It seems the sheet metal flywheel cover was put on newer engines but does anyone know what year did it start? My A4 has cast iron cover and I presume its older (early 70s??)
    The deep housing and flat cover begins with engine # 192787 circa 1975.

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Val V View Post
      FAQ: General Information
      17. Age
      There is no sure way to relate your serial number to a particular engine manufacturing date. However, there are certain features that you can use to identify the latest engines:
      The very late group of engines (circa late 70's) had flat sheet metal flywheel covers. These engines generally had serial numbers starting around 190,000.
      The very latest engines (circa early 80's) came with electric fuel pumps, and the blocks of these engines were no longer drilled to accommodate the small push/pull rods used to operate mechanical pumps.
      You would, of course, need to remove the electric fuel pump mounting bracket to determine whether or not your block had this hole drilled into it. The serial numbers of these engines generally started around 200,000

The only other way to approximate the date of an engine is to check the manufacturing date stamped onto the carburetor side of the block.
      Unfortunately, this date only applies to the date of the block. In many cases, blocks didn't find their way into an engine for several years.

EDIT: Hanley types faster than I do!
      Last edited by roadnsky; 11-20-2013, 11:27 AM.
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Val..I do not know the answer to your question, however, Universal stamped the casting the date of the block when it was built, if you are interested in knowing how old the block is. There should be a six digit number under the valve cover on the left side of the engine. If the carb is still installed it is kind of hard to see. Mine is 041976 (April 19, 1976).

Late model engines should also have the serial stamped on a little flat area on the top front of the block, near the oil fill.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
          Val..I do not know the answer to your question, however, Universal stamped the casting the date of the block when it was built, if you are interested in knowing how old the block is. There should be a six digit number under the valve cover on the left side of the engine. If the carb is still installed it is kind of hard to see. Mine is 041976 (April 19, 1976).

Late model engines should also have the serial stamped on a little flat area on the top front of the block, near the oil fill.
          Pictures for Shawn...
          Attached Files
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Val V
            • Apr 2013

This is great. Thanks!! Unfortunately the mystery only deepens. Just looked at my engine and its built in April of 1971 which is 5 years before Catalina built this hull. So my guess is this is not the original engine and some work must have been done to it.

Anyone knows if MMI keeps records of s/n of engines if they worked on them? I just found my s/n 176858 (thanks for the tip where to look )
            Catalina 30, 1977, #421

Comment

Working...
            X