Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • domenic
    • Jul 2010

The end of winter I am going to haul out in Napa, and repaint the hull. Maybe I'll see you there.
    Domenic

Comment

• seascott
      • Jan 2011

Columbia 28 a4 pics

Pics of a4 almost ready for reassembly.
      Not sure asbout size of pic but i guess i will soon find out.
      enjoy!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Administrator; 03-05-2011, 10:15 AM. Reason: Images resized.

Comment

• Laker
        • Sep 2010

You appear to have an auxiliary auxiliary. Merc ?
        1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• domenic
          • Jul 2010

If you want to keep the outboard, there is a an outboard well at the end of the cockpit.

Nice looking boat. I love the C28

Domenic

Comment

• seascott
            • Jan 2011

Outboard

The outboard is really power for my inflatable. It is a 15 Merc. My previous boat (Baltic 30) had an outboard and it was akward to start/stop pull up/down because it required me to hang off the back, drop my phone, hurt my back, etc... real sailing! I can't wait to turn the key on this A4 and go. The San Rafael Yacht sales guy took it upon himself to bolt a mount on and so I am using my 15 hp outboard for temp.
            In my opinion it is bad etiquette to drill holes in a guys boat without asking.

Comment

• seascott
              • Jan 2011

Valve Seat

How bad is this seat? I have spent a couple hours lapping on this one and my ADD is starting to kick in.
              Some small black pits remain.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Administrator; 03-05-2011, 03:17 PM. Reason: Image resized.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

The seat is still a little fuzzy. What is the status of your valve guides?

Comment

• domenic
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by seascott View Post
                  The outboard is really power for my inflatable. It is a 15 Merc. My previous boat (Baltic 30) had an outboard and it was akward to start/stop pull up/down because it required me to hang off the back, drop my phone, hurt my back, etc... real sailing! I can't wait to turn the key on this A4 and go. The San Rafael Yacht sales guy took it upon himself to bolt a mount on and so I am using my 15 hp outboard for temp.
                  In my opinion it is bad etiquette to drill holes in a guys boat without asking.

It is bad etiquette to drill holes in a guys boat without asking.

Make him walk the plank. Drill holes in a guys transom...that's down right nasty. Back in the day of wooden ships, and steel men, a skipper would sail toward someone they did not like, come about, and show their transom..it was a form of saying ,"Kiss my ---." Today we come about, and pass gas with our A4.
                  You can't have holes in your transom...it's how your little ship talks to other little ships.
                  Last edited by domenic; 03-05-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• seascott
                    • Jan 2011

Transom Holes

Hi
                    I am going to fix the holes once I get the a4 running. Once I get the valve seats clean i'm on the put together side of this project.
                    FWC parts will arrive Tuesday. HX from eBay (Sendure) and elec pump designed for a race car.
                    Valve guides are cleaned out and valves move through supersmooth.

Scott
                    Last edited by seascott; 03-05-2011, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• domenic
                      • Jul 2010

Scott, check your fuel tank. It's under the starboard bunk below the cockpit. You should have a fuel gauge. take this out, and look into the tank. Columbia built in a fierglass tank...about 3/4" thick. I had a problem with my tank. The ethonal in the fuel ate the tank. If you see what looks like dark sand in the bottom of the tank, it is fiberglass. This stuff will screw up your fuel system.
                      I replaced my tank with a plastic one mounted in the outboard well area.

Domenic

Comment

• seascott
                        • Jan 2011

Fuel tank

I checked out the tank. I pumped out 50% gas/water and some ugly debris. I'm working on taking it out but it is incapsulated in epoxy.
                        I will need to get a new tank.

Comment

• domenic
                          • Jul 2010

I checked out the tank. I pumped out 50% gas/water and some ugly debris. I'm working on taking it out but it is incapsulated in epoxy.
                          I will need to get a new tank.
                          I cut the top off my tank. It is now a tool locker. Before you run your A4, I would also change the fuel lines, and filter. I don't know if you have cleaned your fuel pump, and carb...I would suggest that. I feel better now that I don't have a tank in the cabin. The ethonal ate a hole in my tank...I had gas in the bilge.

Comment

• seascott
                            • Jan 2011

Fuel tank

My tank is shot. Thanks for the tip. I will put my new tank in the same place. I think Lat64(Russ) did the same.

Comment

• domenic
                              • Jul 2010

My tank is shot. Thanks for the tip. I will put my new tank in the same place. I think Lat64(Russ) did the same.
                              Scott, do you want something else to fix? The port bulkhead that holds the upper shroud. That chain plate seems to leak on all the C28's. I cut away the outbboard part of the bulkhead, and replaced it. The lower piece of the chainplate was bolted onto the linner before it went into the hull. I cut a hole to get to the bolts. Check for mush on that bulkhead.
                              After the rain, I'll tell you how water is getting into your bilge.

When you put in the new tank, it will be above the engine. You will need a shut off at the tank. The air vent hole for the tank (on the transom) is hard to reach from the inside. I cut a hole in the cockpit seat to reach it...then I fiberglassed the part back on.
                              The mast step is made of wood.(It sites in water most of the time.) I'm going to replace mine when I haul out.
                              I love my 28.

Domenic
                              Last edited by domenic; 03-09-2011, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• lat 64
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by domenic View Post
                                Scott, do you want something else to fix? The port bulkhead that holds the upper shroud. That chain plate seems to leak on all the C28's. I cut away the outbboard part of the bulkhead, and replaced it. The lower piece of the chainplate was bolted onto the linner before it went into the hull. I cut a hole to get to the bolts. Check for mush on that bulkhead.
                                After the rain, I'll tell you how water is getting into your bilge.

When you put in the new tank, it will be above the engine. You will need a shut off at the tank. The air vent hole for the tank (on the transom) is hard to reach from the inside. I cut a hole in the cockpit seat to reach it...then I fiberglassed the part back on.
                                The mast step is made of wood.(It sites in water most of the time.) I'm going to replave mine when I haul out.
                                I love my 28.

Domenic
                                Oh man! do you have photos of the chainplate fix? I have to do that on my boat too. It leaks there and rotted the bulkhead plywood down at the settee.
                                This seems like a classic place for crevice corrosion to start too. I did not understand the chainplate was two parts. Maybe mine is one part, but the boats are so similar in detail that I think mine must be designed like yours.

I am going to make my gas tank a tool locker too. I am jazzed that you had the same idea. if you have any decent photos of any of those improvements, I would really love to see them. Pm me or we could start a thread under the Columbia subject. It seems like good info for others.
                                sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
                                X