Where do you get advice on shore power systems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Where do you get advice on shore power systems?

It's fair to say we on this forum make our repairs and installations ourselves. When it comes to shore power, something that if not done right could kill you and yours, where do you get your information? Multiple votes enabled.
    Nigel Calder or similar text
    0%
    West Marine Advisor
    0%
    Licensed Electrician
    0%
    Slip neighbor/ dock expert
    0%
    Internet article
    0%
    Forum discussion
    0%
    The guy in the orange apron
    0%
    Wife's uncle
    0%
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

We didn't put power on the docks of our marina. A number of people have fridges but run a combination of solar and wind. Club has an ice maker and a volunteer (George) ensures the ice fridge is topped up with ice every couple of days. Typically, people get down to their boats on the weekend and only about 10 of us are there on what I'd call a daily basis. Cost of ice is $2 a bag and it's a good size...two bags keeps my stuff cool for a weekend and lots of ice for drinks. I run with 2 deep cycle batteries these days, 100 amp alternator, no solar, no wind generator ... but keep in mind I'm generally a day sailor, then bring it alongside somewhere for a few wobbly-pops or drinks. All my lights are LED as well. Autopilot is my biggest user and the batteries last a long long time. Just coming into the dock throws a charge back into them.

It would cost the club about $200,000 to put power to the docks. That cost would only be added to marina rates. Members had a vote and decided against it. There's also the added factor of electrolisis that we don't have to deal with. I actually took the shore power out of the boat. We have a few marine electricians at the club. Allot of the guys are ex Navy and a couple work at SeaMasters (the local yacht repair facility)...I can have electrical work done, radar fixed, plumbing etc for nothing...just get the guy what he wants to do the job. Funny that I was a medic and am one of the go to mechanics...we have a couple of marine engineers as well.

I did tick off a licenced electrician because we have few there. Rob has been after me to put in my new gauge set...but alas, tomorrow, like most days, I'll go down and take off for a sail. Funny how that works. I have some stainless steel outer cabin rails sitting in my garage as well. One of the hull techs offered to put them on for me. When I go to the club there's generally a plan:
    -I'm the marina manager (Volunteer position)...so there's always something up there. Someone wants to move, something broken, ordering supplies etc.
    -Someone might want help with an engine.
    -Get off the dock for a sail.
    Last edited by Mo; 07-22-2015, 09:55 PM.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Shore power makes me nervous. Whenever I leave the boat at the dock I shut down everything except the battery charger. Unless I'm actually living aboard I shut down the fridge too.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

The inspiration was a thread on another forum discussing GFCI's and ELCI's. One participant knew his stuff but he was drowned out by the internet mavens and dock experts spewing half-truths and other flavors of misinformation. No kidding, someone could get injured or worse.

For those who voted 'Forum discussion' in the poll, take note.

Here's a quick test of the quality of your information source:
        What does the green (ground) wire do in a GFCI protected circuit? Hint: it's the same as the answer to a lyrical question in an Edwin Starr hit.
        Last edited by ndutton; 07-23-2015, 09:52 AM.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• The Garbone
          • Dec 2013

I could not choose one. I try to never connect shore power. I put a new outlet on and checked things over but no upgrading here. I actually removed a few outlets the PO had installed in a substandard way. I only use shore power if I want to use my heat gun or run the portable AC unit (not since last summer), otherwise it is solar for me. Most everything on the boat is 12volt.
          Gary
          78' Catalina 30 #1179
          www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

I did marine electrical/electronic for a living back in the day. We liked keeping the Nigel Calder books around and had ABYC publications as well.
            Lesson 1 with Shore Power - HIDE THE CORD WHEN DOING WORK
            I had both arms elbow deep in a panel and suddenly I am jumping around like a frog with 120 volts applied. After getting loose from the panel and yelling ***?!? I ran up on deck to find the dock attendant had "helped out" by plugging the boat back in
            Last edited by joe_db; 07-23-2015, 06:45 AM.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• TomG
              Afourian MVP Emeritus
              • Nov 2010

After moving up from my Catalina 25 to a Tartan 30, I found myself in the "sweet spot" of conflicting power needs. The C25 didn't need and really didn't have room for a retrofit AC distribution system. I did keep a GFCI protected extension cord with a twist-lock connector on the boat for running tools and such, but that was it. The T30 came with a simple 12v DC system, but the heat of summer here on the Chesapeake made the idea of a water-source marine air conditioning unit quite appealing. Having a battery charger and outlets also sounded quite useful. I did a lot of reading from Don Casey and Calder, read everything Blue Sea put out on ELCIs and asked questions on forums and of other knowledgeable people. I received some well-reasoned advice and sometimes conflicting, but well-intentioned advice from forum participants, regarding my ELCI installation. Bottom line, electricity around the water can be very dangerous. So can alcohol. Or gasoline. I still fire up my A-4 recognizing safety precautions and I still drink margaritas at the dock. I also safely plug in my blender in my air conditioned saloon to enjoy our passion for time on the water.
              Tom
              "Patina"
              1977 Tartan 30
              Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Jan 2007

No worries

I have no worries regarding shore power as I do not have any.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                  I have no worries regarding shore power as I do not have any.
                  Dave Neptune
                  Ditto.
                  I worry more about my neighbor's shore power.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• lat 64
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Oct 2008

I did vote For Nigel Calder's book even though I don't have shore power.
                    That's my go-to until someone discredits him. If and when I get power, that's most likely my first reference.

I guess a lot of us just drink warm beer Niel.

Just a note: The Homer harbor installed new hookups for the big boats a while back but they still won't hold tug boat from leaving the docks. They just sort of part like a wet noodle if you don't unplug. Seen it.
                    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Marian Claire
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Aug 2007

Just a note: The Homer harbor installed new hookups for the big boats a while back but they still won't hold tug boat from leaving the docks. They just sort of part like a wet noodle if you don't unplug. Seen it.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Standing joke at Matthews Point "Don't forget the yellow dock line".

On a more serious note it's the ones that unplug from the boat but leave the cord plugged in to the power pedestal that get me. One of the very few things that I will comment/confront someone on regardless of who it is.

The MC does have an AC system. Old but accessible. Several years ago after reading and rereading the advice from Calder, Casey, other online info and wrapping my mind around the grounding issue I worked thru the system and made some changes.

I have done a bit of wiring, including my entire house. BUT marine/boat wiring is a different beast. So prier "land experience" is no guarantee.
                      This thread like many here has caused me to say. " I better check again and see exactly what I have".

Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• hcrisp
                        • Aug 2012

Ac

We do not have shore power with our current boat. As a matter of fact, we opted for the no electricity or water side of the docks. Our slip mate says we are the friendly side of the harbor - we have to be - we only have one picnic table.
                        I do keep Calder's book handy.
                        Howard
                        sigpic
                        S/V Swimmer
                        Bristol 27

Comment

• PT26
                          • Mar 2012

No shore power used unless absolutely necessary to accomplish a task.
                          And that's only when it takes 15 amps plus for a long period.
                          We don't leave our boat plugged into the dock.
                          Solar is what we have found to be the best, reliable and safe when installed correctly.
                          Paul
                          S/V PT26
                          1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

"The Devil never comes to you with a pitchfork and a ball of fire"

Comment

• toddster
                            • Aug 2011

I've wired several houses and farm buildings to code, and am pretty comfortable with electricity, but I still like to check with the reference books. The wiring on my boat when I took possession was in a downright lethal state. I maybe could have had the PO charged with attempted murder for selling it to me like that :roll eyes:

I can't help but suspect that a lot of older boats are in the same state.

Up until last year, our (fresh water) marina was filled with the sounds of happy kids diving off the docks and splashing around. Lots of people had installed swim ladders on their dock. Then I asked the guy with four kids in the next slip if he'd ever heard of "electric shock drowning." Now there are big "no swimming" signs stenciled on every dock, and I think those kids hate me.

Confession: I had planned to do all the 12V runs with red/yellow safety cable, so that any black wires would unambiguously be 120V. But I couldn't get safety cable here in BFE when I needed it, so about half of it is still red/black. (The PO used red/yellow safety cable to string together a bunch of unprotected 120V outlets !!)

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

I have gone back and forth with installing shore power. My boat does not have any, and like Paul, I use solar to keep the batteries topped up, and so far have managed to not run them down (yet. )

I have access to 30 amps at the dock where I keep my boat, but not for permanent use (long run, no way for me to meter my own use.) - That works great for power tools and stuff.

For now, I have a 30 amp extension cord and a six outlet strip that I pull out of the locker if my wife wants to blow dry her hair when we are off at some marina, or in extreme conditions if I bring a box fan for the forward hatch.

I have Nigel's book, and Casey's book. I've found both to be great resources. Sometimes internet forums are helpful, but you have to be vigilant. I never trust anyone's advice I cannot corroborate with another source.

120v on boats scares me. When you keep your boat in marina and have to hang one of those zinc fish off your transom, like my buddy, there are some issues that need to be dealt with. I dunno if it is all worth it.
                              Last edited by sastanley; 07-28-2015, 08:44 AM.
                              -Shawn
                              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X