X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figment
    • Sep 2005

Early distributor on Late engine

Is there any reason why I couldn't use the distributor from an early-model engine on a late-model engine?

On casual inspection the gearing doesn't look different.

Thanks,
  • Pater
    • Oct 2008

Early ignition on Late model? or vice versa

I have the opposite question. Having had a late model engine that rusted out after a rebuild, I "found" an "early" in a friend who was moving south's garage. The distributor cap was missing and the interior was solidly rusted to crumbs. I have a delco distributor from my 1969 A4 that is clean, and worked. Has anyone got a clue if, after changing the clamp, the late will work, or if not, where I can find a replacement Plate for the "Early" since the original was rusted away?

Comment

• keelcooler
      • Oct 2008

They are interchangeable however the hold down brackets are not. If you also have an early model aux drive swap out both.Installing Delco on early model block you must drill and tap a new hole.

Comment

• Marian Claire
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2007

If it would be of any help I would be willing to trade this late model dist for an early model. One of the dist cap screws is missing and one of the hold down screws is stripped. It has a new cond, rotor, points and cap. Dan S/V Marian Claire
        Attached Files

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Figment View Post
          Is there any reason why I couldn't use the distributor from an early-model engine on a late-model engine?

On casual inspection the gearing doesn't look different.

Thanks,
          the gearing is the same and it is ok to use prestolite on late models remember to set dwell 38 degrees

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

distributor options

While looking thru the Moyer calalogue I noticed that a distributor called "Petronix" is offered in addition to the change over kit for the Delco. I was wondering if anyone has used the Petronix distributor, and if so has it any advantages over the change kit?

Comment

Working...
            X