• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baltimore Sailor
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

How close is too close?

As part of my new water pump installation I redid all the water lines as well. Upon re-installation of the alternator and my bypass valve, it seems to me that the valve lever is very close to the "hot" connection on the alternator (where the orange line connects).

I don't remember things being so close before, and I'm most concerned about the stainless hose clamps: if the end of the clamp strap touches the block and the spark jumps across from the alternator to the clamp, that would be a nasty short. Also unpleasant would be reaching in there for the lever and contacting the hot connection.

How close together are others' connections at this point? Is there a good covering for the hot connection that I can put over it to insulate it safely? I'd put some electrical tape over it, but I'm afraid that vibration, heat and time will just shake it loose.
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

12 volts should not jump like the thousands it takes to cross a gap as in a spark plug.

Perhaps you could wrap the hose clamp with electrical tape. If the hose clamp is not grounded, it should not need too much protection. Look at the rest of the potential path. If there are rubber hoses, then they won't conduct.

Probably need a photo to see better what you mean.

Russ
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• rheaton
      • Aug 2005

You might wrap a piece of old water hose around it.

Comment

• jpian0923
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

I had sort of the same issue. I mounted my valve at about a 45 degree angle to insure good clearance.

Also, the valve can be installed upside down or right side up (whatever that means) so that fully closed the handle points away from the alternator.

This picture may be helpful.
        Attached Files
        "Jim"
        S/V "Ahoi"
        1967 Islander 29
        Harbor Island, San Diego
        2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• rigspelt
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2008

I'd personally favour a solid, secure air gap. I lengthened one of the hoses to move the bypass valve forward on an angle.
          1974 C&C 27

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

BS, I like rigspelt's & Jim's idea...lengthen the hose from the side plate tee a little bit and it should move the valve away from the alternator.

Alternately, (or even in addition), check out Micah's little boot on his alternator output in this post which was really about the electric water pump..but it shows the boot well.

here is that same pic lifted from his thread.
            Last edited by sastanley; 04-12-2011, 10:20 AM.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

I must have had a longer hose from the tee before, because I just don't remember this being a problem before. I'll have a look at it when I get back to the boat tomorrow.

I hadn't considered that it was only 12V -- not really enough to jump any kind of gap, is it? Still, it was close enough for my fingers to maybe hit it when adjusting the valve, and that might be enough for a nasty shock.

55A at 12V = 5.5A at 120V, right? Could one possibly electrocute oneself with that 12V current?

This thread has reminded me of the time I dematerialized a spark tester when working on my 1971 Pontiac LeMans back in the late 70s. I had one of those neon tube testers that you held against the spark plug wire to see if it was firing, and I was doing that when my bare elbow brushed against a ground on the frame. About 20,000V from the coil went through my arm and out my funny bone, I spasmed like a Grand Mal seizure victim, and when I could see again my hands were in the exact same position as if I were holding the tester, but it was nowhere in sight. Not under the car, not inside the engine compartment -- just gone. I probably launched that thing about a hundred feet when that current hit me, but "dematerializing" sounds so much cooler.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Now we know what Kirk meant when he said "energize"!

Comment

Working...
                X