X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailhog
    • Apr 2009

Big Thank-you to Captain Hanley...

Last month, in the midst of a long process of trying to track down an air leak in my carb, I received a PM from Hanley. The problem had piqued his interest, as it was an unusual model with a fifth screw and bracket on the air in-take end of the unit, and he was offering to take a look at it -- on the house. Long story short, over-tightening of the fifth screw had caused the aluminum body of the carb to bow, creating a gap in the two halves of the carb. I shipped it off in the mail and he got the halves to fit flush with sandpaper and a flat surface... It wasn't until last night that I finally got the carb on the A4. I slapped it on without the PCV... and she started right up.

So thanks again, Hanley, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I also need to thank the rest of the folks on this forum... I've got school age kids and seem to work all the time, so I can't get on online and participate as much as I would like. But I appreciate the great efforts you guys offer folks like myself. It makes sailing for my family and me possible, and that's a very big deal.

Dwight (Sailhog)
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Another Forum Success

Thanks for the update, and much appreciated. But I would remiss not to admit that the idea of planning carburetor halves was not my original thought but rather came from a post by Dave Neptune several years back. The caution about "wavy" carb castings is now part of our collective knowledge for which Moyer Marine Forum is the repository. We are all engineers and mechanics here, at one stage of development or another - we all continue to grow.

Comment

• sailhog
      • Apr 2009

Another forum success it is... I would have been off looking for a leak from the back end of the carb all of the way to the pick-up tube in the tank -- and still not have found it. And that is not an overstatement. The collective know-how here on the forum, along with a lot of good hearts, makes this place work. Brains and heart... you've got 'em both, Cap'm Hanley!

Comment

Working...
      X