IDLE
    RPM on light = 800
    RPM on my tach = 1000
    Advance = 16 degrees at crank

FULL THROTTLE
    RPM on light = 2250
    RPM on my tach = 2500
    Advance = 38 degrees at crank

Besides for my tach being off calibration, shouldn't it be 0 degrees at idle I am not even sure how to fix this, if it is a problem.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

1000 or even 800 rpm is a little high to get back to zero centrifugal advance. I find that I need to get down to 500 or 600 rpm to read zero. The springs on our distributors are a little old and sloppy.

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Good point - I'll have to turn my idle down some.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
        1000 or even 800 rpm is a little high to get back to zero centrifugal advance. The springs on our distributors are a little old and sloppy.
        Also there can be rust and corrosion in the advance doohickey.
        Even though it may appear to be working correctly it may be hanging up a bit.
        I would suggest, if you haven't done so in the last year or so, take it apart and have a look.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Very close

Joe, in the performance industry we did not worry about the base idle unless we had idle issues, we always set the timing at "total advance". The A-4 by the book is "zero" for base plus the 17 degrees in the dist for a total of 34 degrees on the crank. All this means is that at 38 degrees your timing is 4 degrees to advanced~by the book.

What you have is very close and if your C-adv is working at 800 it may be advancing a bit. Wear and the loosening of the springs over time is a probably all you are seeing. Another words if your adv is working freely I would set the "total timing and enjoy a liquid bread rather than tweaking or worrying!!!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Oooo...ooooo...Now that I've 'solved' my electrical problems, I am ready to get back to getting all this stuff dialed in again too.

I just received my 'optical tach' last week, so that I can test the calibration of my installed tach, and I have my timing light aboard and ready. Once again the old salts (liek Dave Neptune ) re-enlightened me that 17° dizzy advnace = 34° crank advance..A quick check of my light this weekend on the crank pin was less than 17°, but it was running great so, I didn't mess with it.

I just need to get down to the boat and do some 'messing about'.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• KentB
              • Aug 2013

Cant make sense of the tach issue... Does it go all the way back to zero when shut off? Some tachs have switches that allow you to adapt them to different motors. (2 cycle vs 4 cycle) and 2,3,4,6,and 8 cylinder.
              Because the ratio of error is not the same at different speeds it looks like the tach is just plain out of whack.

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

My tach is a VDO tach that can adapt to a variety of gas and diesel engines. Someplace there is a menu you can get at to adjust it. I have to find the right combination of button presses to do it.

Originally posted by KentB View Post
                Cant make sense of the tach issue... Does it go all the way back to zero when shut off? Some tachs have switches that allow you to adapt them to different motors. (2 cycle vs 4 cycle) and 2,3,4,6,and 8 cylinder.
                Because the ratio of error is not the same at different speeds it looks like the tach is just plain out of whack.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• Ball Racing
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jul 2011

Unless you have a major name, high performance tach, they are off.
                  Teleflex seems to be off in most applications.
                  My teleflex- one day reads low, then the next reads high.
                  Tyring to keep the Bay's Wooden Boat's history from dying off completely.
                  Daniel

Comment

• KentB
                    • Aug 2013

Yup. Just "calibrated one of those VDO tachs myself.
                    There is ONE button in the back of it. You press that while turning the ignition on and that will put it into setup mode. After that there are a series of short or long button pushes that set it all up.
                    Hopefully you have the instructions still but if not, you can get them online at the VDO website.
                    I sort of stumbled on the right setting of 4 stroke, 4 cylinder on a grey marine 60horse, after quite a few failed attempts. Its tougher than setting up an LCD digital watch (at least they usually have 4 buttons, not 1!)

Comment

Working...
                    X