• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ejay View Post
    Permatex sealant between gasket and pump?
    No. Just clean surfaces well and apply cheap grease on all surfaces. Cheap grease means no metallic component.

Comment

• ejay
      • Jul 2022

Strange Oil

I was able to get the gasket off and the shaft out, however I noticed a fair amount of oil came out with the shaft. Apparently there was some type of lubricating oil between the bearings? Is it necessary to add oil back during the rebuild process?
      EJ
      78 Catalina 30

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

If the water was leaking so could the oil. The bearing is sealed with grease so it was probably just engine oil getting past the seal on the suction side of the pump and water exiting on the pressure side, top pressure and bottom suction.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ejay
          • Jul 2022

Final Outcome

I was able to rebuild the pump with the kit from MMI without too much trouble. The installation was complicated only by the darn bolt underneath the pump, but I managed to get it done. No more drip.

I also installed an A/O solenoid valve on the water intake side of the pump. The switch is within reach of the cockpit, so I can shut off the water more easily than at the seacock when starting the engine.
          EJ
          78 Catalina 30

Comment

• ejay
            • Jul 2022

Absolutely going to buy the extender bolt if and when I do another rebuild.
            EJ
            78 Catalina 30

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

ejay, if you are industrious you can design your own, but I just put it in my mental wish list, and then when I was buying other stuff I added it in. It makes life a lot easier on the C-30 even with the relatively good access.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X