X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charles@pricefarrington.c
    • Aug 2008

Oil Filter

The manual I have says "Change oil filter if present" I don't seem to find an oil filter on my motor. Was this standard that no oil filter system was installed on my A-4?:

Thanks for the input.
    74' Ranger 29
  • SEMIJim
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by charles@pricefarrington.c View Post
    The manual I have says "Change oil filter if present" I don't seem to find an oil filter on my motor. Was this standard that no oil filter system was installed on my A-4?:
    Yup. That's why the recommendation of changing the oil frequently.

Jim

Comment

• charles@pricefarrington.c
      • Aug 2008

Great, thanks for the reply.
      74' Ranger 29

Comment

• Louann
        • May 2008

Hey Jim!

It sounds like you know what you're doing with an Atomic 4. Can you walk me through changing my oil?

Lou

Comment

• keithems
          • Feb 2008

is an oil filter necessary? recommended?

the indigo web site recommends adding an oil filter --

do you recommend i do so -- or is changing oil every 50 hrs or so sufficient?

i do have some concerns, because even with the mmi oil change kit installed, 1-2 qts of the old dirty oil remain after the change.
          keithems
          [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• keithems
            • Feb 2008

didn't buy one then, but wondering again if i should

Originally posted by keithems View Post
            the indigo web site recommends adding an oil filter --

do you recommend i do so -- or is changing oil every 50 hrs or so sufficient?

i do have some concerns, because even with the mmi oil change kit installed, 1-2 qts of the old dirty oil remain after the change.
            once again -- any opinions on whether an oil filter is worthwhile?
            keithems
            [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• Jesse Delanoy
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2006

Universal felt that regular oil changes were sufficient and that a filter was not a necessity. I have no oil filter, but change oil regularly every 50 hours, and at the end of the season before lay-up. I use high detergent Pennzoil SAE 30. I have the Moyer Marine oil change kit installed, and use a 12 volt auto fuel pump (about $20 from Advance auto) to pump out the hot oil. I get about 3 1/2 quarts of dirty oil out, so I know there's a quart or quart and a half left in.

Nevertheless, after running a bit following a change, the oil on my dipstick looks quite clear and clean, so I'm pretty confident that the maintenance is sufficient without an oil filter.

For those not in the know, I HIGHLY recommend the Moyer Marine oil change kit. Before I had it, I used to do the oil changes with a hand pump (and a plastic tube, with permanent coils, pushed into the crankcase). It was messy, took over an hour, and I never got more than about 2 quarts out. The oil change kit (with an electric pump - a vacuum pump would work as well or better) makes the whole process about a ten minute deal - no muss, no fuss.

Comment

• keithems
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Jesse Delanoy View Post
                Universal felt that regular oil changes were sufficient and that a filter was not a necessity. I have no oil filter, but change oil regularly every 50 hours, and at the end of the season before lay-up. I use high detergent Pennzoil SAE 30. I have the Moyer Marine oil change kit installed, and use a 12 volt auto fuel pump (about $20 from Advance auto) to pump out the hot oil. I get about 3 1/2 quarts of dirty oil out, so I know there's a quart or quart and a half left in.

Nevertheless, after running a bit following a change, the oil on my dipstick looks quite clear and clean, so I'm pretty confident that the maintenance is sufficient without an oil filter.

For those not in the know, I HIGHLY recommend the Moyer Marine oil change kit. Before I had it, I used to do the oil changes with a hand pump (and a plastic tube, with permanent coils, pushed into the crankcase). It was messy, took over an hour, and I never got more than about 2 quarts out. The oil change kit (with an electric pump - a vacuum pump would work as well or better) makes the whole process about a ten minute deal - no muss, no fuss.
                thank you

right now, i do about the same as you

however -- re the mmi oil change kit -- i also have the adjustable carb jet -- which gets in the way of the oil chg kit --

so to change oil, i have to remove the jet adjuster, then screw in the mmi oil kit and hose, etc. -- it's not ideal, making me think i may want to filter the oil and change it less...
                keithems
                [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• Jesse Delanoy
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2006

Really? My first A4 had an adjustable carb jet. It didn't interfere with the oil change kit at all.

Pictures?

Comment

• keithems
                    • Feb 2008

k -- i'll try -- only have a cell phone camera right now, and it's been doing pix upside down -- but i'll try..

thx -- kk
                    keithems
                    [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

The problem with the Indigo oil filter/relief valve kit is that it only filters the "bled off" oil from the relief valve. If you have any kind of low pressure issue then you are not sending much oil thru the filter. I do have the Indigo kit but have reconfigured it. I have the oil filter in a loop with the oil cooler both circulated by an independent pump. The "bled off" oil from the relief valve then is used to prime the pump. This upgrade has made the concept of oil filtration real on my boat. To respond to the original question: yes, you should have an oil filter on your engine.

Comment

• CalebD
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2007

Hanley,

Do you have any pictures of your oil filtering system on your A4? I am curious to know what it would take to implement something like that on our old 1967 A4.
                        Is your A4 from 1964 as well as your Herrshof boat?
                        Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
                        A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

tease!

HC, as always, the innovations you elude to are intriguing.

I have the Indigo filter system still NIB..it is on my list of things to do this year. MIght be easier to improve it during installation. (once I get the pesky shaft issue fixed )
                          -Shawn
                          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                          sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Mar 2010

CalebD and Shawn - The system is a take off from the Indigo kit taking the filter assembly right out of the engine oil circuit. I draw the oil out thru the 3/4" npt hole where the little hand pump used to be (using the Indigo component but to 3/8" ID copper tubing) right up to the pump (see picture). The pump sends the oil to a Sendure cooler, thence to the Indigo oil filter, thence to the hole where the mechanical fuel pump rod used to be (now covered with a block off plate and tapped to receive the 3/8" ID copper return line. I have also relpaced the Indigo oil relief valve with a more robust cast iron relief valve (shown partially in second picture). Both pump and valve are from the McMaster catalogue. I will post numbers shortly.
                            Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by charles@pricefarrington.c View Post

Thanks for the input.
                              The following from 1991 Westerbeke Atomic 4 parts catalogue makes you wonder though, does it not?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X