X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rbyham
    • Jan 2013

Fuel sediment bowl leaking

At least that is what I think it is called. Put gas in the tank of my A4 yesterday and she fired and ran well on the hard. I she is in a 1966 Hinterhoeller HR28. So everything is old and recently new to me. I am clearly a newbie in the A4 world. Today as I came on board I smelled gas. Glad I checked before starting again. I noticed a slow drip coming from the bottom of the sediment bowl attached to my manual fuel pump. Taking it apart Iwas ssurprised to find no gasket of any sort. I have installed a squeeze bulb to pressurize the system and my guess is I had full pressure on the system and and this is what is causing the leak. any ideas on a fix? Do I need to order a gasket or otherwise get something to make a better bowl to lid connection? Thanks.
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

I'd go ahead and give Ken a call at moyer marine....these guys are our hosts and Ken is wicked good on knowing his stuff. He will talk you through anything you need to do there. It is a good idea to take a pic of the carb for there are two main versions in popular use. The bowl is likely the same on both.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Marian Claire
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2007

Check out gasket/washer here. http://www.moyermarine.com/cgi-bin/s...rebuilder.html about half way down the page. Also some members are moving away from the squeeze bulb set up due to safety and CG regs. You should be able to prime the system by using the manual option on the mechanical pump. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

If the fuel tank discharge is above the fuel pump there should be no need for a priming bulb. If the need seems to exist check your fuel line from tank to carb for unnecessary rises and bends. Also look for fittings that are too small or restrictive.

Comment

• Rbyham
          • Jan 2013

MC I believe that is exactly the part I need. Thanks for helping me make my first A4 purchase howbeit a small one. Is Moyer the main/only source for A4 parts? I am in Charleston, SC and wondering if that and other basic parts are available locally in the future. For now I need to keep moving so made the MM order. Thanks.

I do wonder about the priming bulb. My system looks like this:

1. 20 gal SS tanks goes uphill 3 inches to racor
          2. Racor to manual fuel pump on engine block is a 10" drop.
          3. The squeeze bulb is between SS tank and racor.

See pics below of my engine. I bought the boat/engine a month ago and really know very little about what I have here. The boat did come with original A4 manual as well as the nice manual from Moyer. Both have provided fun and educational reading but it could be that experienced eyes like folks on this forum might want to comment on what I have. I know it has the electronic ignition upgrade as well as the rebreather pipe. But that is about the limit of my knowledge.

Thanks all...
          Attached Files

Comment

• Marian Claire
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2007

Looks like an early model. Head is definitely early with the crossover tube. Looks like a Dole T-stat housing. PCV valve has been added. Looks like a late model carb with a cobbled, probable non-conforming, spark arrestor assembly. Nice oil dip stick mod. Early model starter. Is that a block flushing mod below the accessory drive? Dan S/V Marian Claire
            Last edited by Marian Claire; 02-28-2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• Sony2000
              • Dec 2011

A horizontal PCV is a no,no. It can't close, and where does it go?

Comment

• Marian Claire
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2007

" where does it go?" I think that spacer between the carb and manifold has two holes. The PCV line should/might feed into the backside of the spacer. Dan S/V Marian Claire
                Edit: Is the port in the manifold open? That could be where the PCV line was hooked up ????
                Last edited by Marian Claire; 03-01-2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Rbyham
                  • Jan 2013

Not sure whee the Pcv tube connects.i assume it is trying to reburn somewhere.will check tomorrow and update us all.

Comment

• sailbristol
                    • Jan 2009

if you need a hand I can help check PM

Comment

Working...
                    X