X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

From post #117 we can extrapolate that I get to 6 knots (hull speed) at 2600 rpm though I did not specifically record it. The problem was that my present cooling system cannot sustain 2600 rpm, and the 2 blader was permitting some cutless chatter that the three blader would not. I will be OK on the return run with the 13x11.5 three blader, but a change is still in this boat's future. My goal for this boat is 2200 rpm @ 7" vacuum to reach 6 knots.

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

Hanley, when do you expect to be passing through the Chesapeake again? We should try to set up another rendezvous or two.
      @(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Getting Underway

The plan is to leave at first light tomorrow and first stop should be the anchorage just north of the Seabreeze Bridge at Daytona. I expect to be in Beaufort, SC by 4 April and reach the Chesapeake by the last week in April. Of course we all know that if you're in a hurry in a sailboat, sooner or later you'll get into trouble...FWIW. Now that I have this little USB adapter (Trendnet), I'll try to get on line as often as possible.

Comment

• Marian Claire
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2007

Hanley: Will be watching your progress north with hopes of meeting in NC. Be safe out there. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• ILikeRust
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2010

Let me know when you're going to get to the Deltaville area - maybe you can work it out so that you can anchor and overnight in Queens Creek. Now that I've got my little dinghy, I can row out to meet you and I can show you my boat (which is still a disaster inside, but the engine runs great and she sailable), and if you need to re-provision, I can give you a ride down to Mathews and the grocery store.
            - Bill T.
            - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Jan 2007

Well?

Hanley, howz things? Must be doing well and having fun if you have no time to post.
              Do you like the performance of you fuel ratio gage? How long does it take to warm up?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Greetings

from Hogan's Marina, on the outskirts of Savannah. Most everything is functioning well except for a dead bilge blower (have spare on board). The bad news is that I will probably have to do a haulout enroute for cutlass replacement, another unfavorite thing to do.

Comment

• Mo
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2007

Sorry to hear the cutlass bearing going south on you. Too bad you are not around here because I could launch mine and haul yours for repair. Is it the cutlass for sure because I remember you testing some props?
                  Mo

"Odyssey"
                  1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                  The optimist expects it to change.
                  The realist adjusts the sails.
                  ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Marian Claire
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Aug 2007

HC: Hope things work out with the cutlass. I can think of worse places to be, Turners Creek was a good stop. Are you thinking of hauling there or further north? Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Greetings from

Beaufort, SC, Marketplace Internet Cafe. Despite the sloppy cutless I am able to progress. Have a well balanced prop, a true stainless shaft, and keeping close tabs on the alignment (holding .0025 at the moment). Just have to see how far I get. Couple of do it yourself yards coming up at Myrtle Beach. I'm already cobbling the removal and installation tools.

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Hanley, Did I miss the discussion about what happened with the cutless? Is this a new problem? With your meticulous efforts to keep the shaft aligned, I am not sure I understand what happened with the cutless bearing..Did a diver confirm the issue during the last prop change?
                        -Shawn
                        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                        sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

No Excuses

The diver confirmed about 3/16" slop when changing the prop but it was too late to fix before I left Florida. I should have done the job last summer when the slop was around 1/8". My bad...now comes payback time. Who knows? I might get all the way to the Chesapeake. (But nice to have TowBoat US in your back pocket).

Comment

• ILikeRust
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2010

Let me know a day or two in advance, if possible, when you're getting close to the Deltaville/Mathews area.
                            - Bill T.
                            - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

Wimping out in Beaufort

Don't fancy SCA 25 NE on the nose plus tide on the Coosaw, so here I sit for another day. The good news that all A4 systems are functioning normally. The dual fuel pumps in parallel with added 10 micron filters have so far eliminated fuel issues. Those polishing filters from Moyer Marine were the exact solution. Running without thermostat has also worked well greatly increasing antifreeze velocity so I run at 170 degrees with bypass shutoff closed at 1700 rpm which is ok until I can resolve the prop issue. Despite having 4 (small) exchangers, I know that additional exchange capacity is needed if I am to run again in warm waters with the correct prop. From the "Palm & Moon Bagel Company", Beaufort, SC.

Comment

• sastanley
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Sep 2008

Hanley, still blowing up here too.

Here are this morning's readings at the LNG pier out in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay..courtesy of the NDBC
                                National Data Buoy Center - Recent observations from station COVM2 (38.402N 76.385W) - 8577018 - Cove Point LNG Pier, MD.

Sorry about misalignment of the headings...the forum software takes out the extra spaces...

Date Time Dir Avg Gust Baro AirTemp °F
                                03 27 8:30 am NNW 21.0 26.0 - - - - 30.34 - 38.5 - - - - -
                                03 27 8:24 am NNW 21.0 26.0 - - - - 30.34 - 38.7 - - - - -
                                03 27 8:18 am NNW 20.0 24.1 - - - - 30.34 - 38.5 - - - - -
                                03 27 8:12 am NNW 22.0 26.0 - - - - 30.33 - 38.3 - - - - -
                                03 27 8:06 am NNW 22.0 26.0 - - - - 30.33 - 38.5 -

We were seeing 27 sustained with gusts over 32 in the middle of the night!
                                -Shawn
                                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X