X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Administrator
    MMI Webmaster
    • Oct 2004

10.5 volts seems awfully low. Not my area of expertise (don't ask which ones are), but that doesn't seem right.

Bill

Comment

• Bratina
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
      With that kind of voltage (very close to the numbers I run on my engine) you probably do not need to run resistance spark plugs. You may be ok while the plug is new but later the problem could come back. Try using a non resistive plug. Edit: don't know if this has ben discussed, but you should know what your dwell reading is.
      I didn't really know I was I guess that's what the R in the plug name stands for... Which plugs do you run? Admin suggested these voltages are low. Should I be looking to change anything else?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
        10.5 volts seems awfully low. Not my area of expertise (don't ask which ones are), but that doesn't seem right.

Bill
        The Atomic 4 will run on as little as 9 volts. I have tested this personally and know it to be fact.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Bratina View Post
          I didn't really know I was I guess that's what the R in the plug name stands for... Which plugs do you run? Admin suggested these voltages are low. Should I be looking to change anything else?
          I run both 306 and 308, no longer available so far as I know - but I don't change plugs very often. I believe J8C was once the specification but don't be bound by that. Try to run the coldest plug that doesn't foul, then go one range hotter. One thing you do need, especially with points, is a dwell meter, available for less than $20 at most auto boutiques.

Comment

• roadnsky
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

...Admin suggested these voltages are low. Should I be looking to change anything else?
            Bratina-
            I'd like to be certain...
            Do you have a resistor ahead of your coil?
            I'd like to be SURE your voltage at the coil + is accounting for any upstream resistor.
            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
            sigpic
            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
              Bratina-
              I'd like to be certain...
              Do you have a resistor ahead of your coil?
              I'd like to be SURE your voltage at the coil + is accounting for any upstream resistor.
              If there is no resistor ahead of that coil, there is indeed another problem.

Comment

• Bratina
                • Jun 2015

I run both 306 and 308, no longer available so far as I know - but I don't change plugs very often. I believe J8C was once the specification but don't be bound by that. Try to run the coldest plug that doesn't foul, then go one range hotter. One thing you do need, especially with points, is a dwell meter, available for less than $20 at most auto boutiques.

Dwell meter is on the shopping list. I'll check gap next time too, should have done it today when I took the cap off.

Comment

• Bratina
                  • Jun 2015

If there is no resistor ahead of that coil, there is indeed another problem.
                  As far as I know or can see, there isn't a resistor in the circuit. What problem does that voltage point to?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

As far as I know or can see, there isn't a resistor in the circuit. What problem does that voltage point to?
                    Typically an alternator will put out around 14 volts of which around 13 volts would be making to coil+ after going thru wires and switches etc. Since that is too much for the coil the practice is to put resistors just ahead of coil+ to bring down to 12 volts or lower. There is a formula available using Ohm's Law used by some members, but if you are below 12 volts you should be OK. Your problem seems to be that your voltage is already down there without resistors which means your alternator is not putting out enough voltage or some other problem exists in the wiring. Maybe the next step is to check voltage at Alt+ (large output terminal).

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Dwell meter is on the shopping list. I'll check gap next time too, should have done it today when I took the cap off.
                      In a new distributor specified point gap should yield specified dwell, but since the lobes are worn on our old distributors this is no longer the case. Dwell is the important specification, not gap; and you will find that correct dwell will land you at a gap setting well below specification - which is OK.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                        • Jan 2007

Bratina, is there a ceramic piece with wiring mounted to the bracket with the coil? With points you could well still have the original "ballast resistor" still in the loop. Can you shoot and post a pic?

The 10.5~10.9 voltage is fine for the ignition but if it is actually your operating voltage it could be an issue.

Look for the big original equipment resistor or even a small one mounted near the coil. The ignition wire from the keyswitch should hook directly to the positive side of the coil, what you need to see is if that wire (purple I think) hooks to something else first then to the coil. It is very common to lower voltages on point systems to make the points last longer.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Bratina
                          • Jun 2015

In a new distributor specified point gap should yield specified dwell, but since the lobes are worn on our old distributors this is no longer the case. Dwell is the important specification, not gap; and you will find that correct dwell will land you at a gap setting well below specification - which is OK.
                          Now I don't feel so bad that I didn't check the gap today. I'll check dwell and report back.

Comment

• Bratina
                            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                            Bratina, is there a ceramic piece with wiring mounted to the bracket with the coil? With points you could well still have the original "ballast resistor" still in the loop. Can you shoot and post a pic?

The 10.5~10.9 voltage is fine for the ignition but if it is actually your operating voltage it could be an issue.

Look for the big original equipment resistor or even a small one mounted near the coil. The ignition wire from the keyswitch should hook directly to the positive side of the coil, what you need to see is if that wire (purple I think) hooks to something else first then to the coil. It is very common to lower voltages on point systems to make the points last longer.

Dave Neptune
                            I'll take a look when I'm at the boat next, I assumed there wasn't one because of the points and OEM-looking coil. There are at least three other wires hanging off the + on the coil. Not sure if that's also a factor.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

I'll take a look when I'm at the boat next, I assumed there wasn't one because of the points and OEM-looking coil. There are at least three other wires hanging off the + on the coil. Not sure if that's also a factor.
                              I like Dave's idea of having a picture to look at. Those "three other wires" hanging off coil+ could also be having a big impact on voltage if they are driving anything significant such as a fuel pump or blower.

Comment

• Administrator
                                MMI Webmaster
                                • Oct 2004

Typically an alternator will put out around 14 volts of which around 13 volts would be making to coil+ after going thru wires and switches etc. Since that is too much for the coil the practice is to put resistors just ahead of coil+ to bring down to 12 volts or lower.
                                Hanley, I don't think this is correct.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X