• Michael Edwards
    • May 2010

Moyer vs Indigo Freshwater cooling system

Why did you choose the one you have?
    Michael
  • wlevin
    • Nov 2006

Prefer Moyer

Previous boat we installed the Indigo because we had no room at the front of the engine for Don's saltwater pump. This boat we do, so we installed Don's freshwater cooling kit. We like Don's stuff and like to support him. He supports us.
    Bill and Jeanne
    T34C #453
    Otter

Comment

• Michael Edwards
      • May 2010

Originally posted by wlevin View Post
      Previous boat we installed the Indigo because we had no room at the front of the engine for Don's saltwater pump. This boat we do, so we installed Don's freshwater cooling kit. We like Don's stuff and like to support him. He supports us.
      Bill and Jeanne
      T34C #453
      Otter
      Thank you for responding. I'm not sure about the space in front(it'll be close),a few things concern me; the sharing of the altenator belt, clearance between the two pumps, and the ability to hand crank(we did use it once). Otherwise it looks like all the other parts are the same. The Indigo uses the MMI pump.
      I'm currently on the otherside of the planet from home and boat, so does anyone know what the clearance is on a Ericson E-32?
      Both Mr.'s Moyer and Stevens have my highest regard.
      Michael

Comment

• rigspelt
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2008

I had to go with the Indigo setup owing to lack of space for Don's. Working fine, but like you I would kind of prefer not to load the alternator belt with the seawater pump.
        1974 C&C 27

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

I like the new system they are offering with the electric water pump - that looks interesting.

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

67 - it intrigues me too. I have a Catalina 30 so no chance of the front mount Moyer kit working for me.

Gotta get a prop shaft in her first though
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• rheaton
              • Aug 2005

I installed the FWC system onto our 1978 Catalia 30. a small access hole was cut into the engine compartment to allow the pully installation. I covered this hole using a small door. I also had to move my batteries from the engine compartment, to the cabenit under the nav station. I can send pix if that would help. Take care, Russ

Comment

• thatch
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2009

"Catalina 30 guys"

rheaton,
                Based on some of the pictures submitted and descriptions of space differences on "same year" Catalina 30's I'm beginning to think that there was quite a bit of "latitude" given to the builders of these boats. I'm assumming that these variations are an East coast/west coast phenomenon. The stuffing box access and the flywheel to cabinet clearance areas seem to be the most obvious. There is no way (without considerable cabinet modification) that I could mount the 2nd "flywheel" pump drive in my '78 Cat 30.
                Tom

Comment

• Michael Edwards
                  • May 2010

Thanks for the coments, and thanks to Mr. Moyer for his answers as well.
                  Ah, a couple more, if you don't mind. What does the pump mount to? I'm guessing the starter for one. How is it tensioned? There's no picture of the bracket. As the mechanic, I like to visualize how it goes together.

Comment

• jhwelch
                    • Dec 2005

Side mounted pump:
                    Attached Files

Comment

• rigspelt
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2008

jwelch's photo helps visualize where it goes, and Tom's photos on his website give details about how it mounts: http://www.atomic4.com/freshwater.html.

jwelch: misalignment of pulleys seems big on that engine. Lots of belt wear sign there too. Mine lines up OK, though it took a lot of fiddling because I had to do the installation in the boat, and we have a bulkhead in almost exactly the wrong place.
                      1974 C&C 27

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

options

I don't like the idea of the alternator sharing a belt with a pump. The contact sector on both units gets reduced and belt is working too hard. The clutter in the area of the distributor is increased. If you go to a bigger alternator the problem is even worse.

Comment

• roadnsky
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
                          Ah, a couple more, if you don't mind. What does the pump mount to? I'm guessing the starter for one. How is it tensioned? There's no picture of the bracket. As the mechanic, I like to visualize how it goes together.
                          Here are a few more...
                          Attached Files
                          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                          sigpic
                          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

pictures!

Jerry, quit showing off your "extendo bolt"
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

• jhwelch
                              • Dec 2005

Rigspelt:

I noticed how badly aligned those pulleys were, too, which probably explains why
                              I lost a fan belt not too long before that photo was taken.

It was taken outside of Don's rebuilding shop, so all is well now.
                              (Not long after I pulled up to drop the motor off an Amish horse and
                              buggy arrived -- I wish I had gotten a photo of that!).

Comment

Working...
                              X