Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2dogsnight
    • Jun 2012

ooooo....expansion plug is the way to go!!
    Thank you !!

Comment

• 2dogsnight
      • Jun 2012

slow

I was concentrating on working on the boat......did lots of work painting, outboard , still no hardware - note the bumpers ...
      Attached Files

Comment

• 2dogsnight
        • Jun 2012

motor

finally back to the motor - had my car mechanic tear the motor down for me.....with his knowledge and power tools took us few hrs to have it taken apart......so now I can clean up the valve pushrods - crankshaft bearing are OK, but I would like to get new one - Moyer's site is not listing them though......wander if 600 grit will be enough to clean up the crankshaft..
        Attached Files

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

WOW...that boat looks great..Now we just need that ugly outboard off the back and the A-4 back in!

how's the engine coming? Slow I guess...

Keep at it 2dogs! My engine seems to be running well enough that I am into structural boat repairs this winter, so we are all into the same thing in, just at different stages.

The boat looks really great!

edit - P.S.> I think I recall crankshaft bearings somewhere on the site...

Anytime you have a question about parts that are not clear on the website, call Ken directly using the parts line phone number. He has always been a great help, and ordering parts from him helps to justify his continued availability! I peruse the website and sometimes jot down a part number, but I always place my order with Ken..he usually reminds me of something I am missing.."So, since you are rebuilding the "X", you should probably get the flange gasket that you will likely destroy when removing part "X" from the engine."

edit #2 - Here ya go Online Catalog --> Overhaul --> Crankcase.. or click this --> http://www.moyermarine.com/cgi-bin/s...rebuilder.html
          Last edited by sastanley; 12-27-2013, 01:34 PM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• 2dogsnight
            • Jun 2012

bearing

two out of 4 bearing have deep groves in it....like some rust/gunk come out trough oil holes and scratch it
            Attached Files

Comment

• 2dogsnight
              • Jun 2012

Thank you for the link Shawn!! Moyer has lot's of oversize sets as it turned out.

I will check the crank diameter with micrometer, ....not sure if there are any dimension in The Book....but that will give me an idea about wear on them.
              My mechanic is telling me that they look fine....the journals and bearings too
              Last edited by 2dogsnight; 12-27-2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• Ball Racing
                Afourian MVP
                • Jul 2011

My main bearing caps studs and nuts are not set-up for safety wire.
                Thats a neat set-up.
                Tyring to keep the Bay's Wooden Boat's history from dying off completely.
                Daniel

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                  • Jun 2012

bearing

glad you like it Daniel

have 2 rods with this type of wear:
                  Attached Files

Comment

• romantic comedy
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

I have used crocus cloth to polish journals. Dont think I would use 600. It is too rough. If it needs machining, then it needs machine.

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                      • Jun 2012

too tight

well, today cleaned pushrods and honed pushrod cylinders.......if they both were just filled with years worth of crud then that should be more than enough to make them work......it was not - they are not sliding as they should......practically pressing in - and pressing out .......
                      Attached Files

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

2 Dogs - Are you trying to get them back into the same holes they came out of? If not, you may have to mic out all the holes and lifters and do a reassignment..

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                          • Jun 2012

They are all marked....as they were taken out

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                            • Jun 2012

Long time no posts......lots of things to do....
                            Honed the pushrod holes and that did not change a thing - they still would not go in.
                            Had a friend centerless grind pushrods, and take .001 on diameter, one of them ground .0015 off They slide trough nicely now.

Finally back to the motor. Decision was made - no need to grind crankshaft, had the journals polished, need to get new bearings, and motor will be ready to be put back together. Note that main one on the right side of the picture is not polished yet......
                            Questions:
                            1. does an oil pump needs to be taken apart and look over?
                            2. valve guides seems to be pretty tight.....should they be replaced anyway ??
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 2dogsnight; 01-19-2015, 12:34 AM.

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                              • Jun 2012

Bad news.....oil pump shaft may be bend.....light wear on oil pump powering gear and one on the crankshaft. Waiting for Don to finish his morning errands to talk to him, see if he can come up with a solution.....
                              Attached Files

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Dec 2008

Gear driven oil pumps generally give long service (mainly because they are constantly bathed in oil)...it could be the bore is worn - a machinist could easily re-sleeve the bore with a bushing to true it up and bring the pump back into spec.

Normal wear with these type of pumps is the gears wear into the backplate - machining the backplate square is the fix.

Comment

Working...
                                X