X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Val V
    • Apr 2013

How to mark crankshaft before removal?

So I am down to removing the crankshaft and the pistons from block. Common sense tells me it has to be carefully aligned with the camshaft position. Could anyone please tell me the proper way to mark it so it can be later placed in the same grove?
    Catalina 30, 1977, #421
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

You will find the crankshaft and camshaft gears already marked but difficult to see unless you are very careful. Correctly aligned the two little "o"s will be exactly opposite each other. I don't have one assembled and open but here are individual pics. The marks can be seen.
    Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Mark the parts with a diamond tip pencil before you take it apart then if possible take a picture.

TRUE GRIT

Edit: Try tracing the scribe marks with a red pencil before you take the picture. If a picture doesn't work out you can always draw a diagram before disassembly.
      Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 11-22-2013, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Val V
        • Apr 2013

Thank You! The shaft with the pistons is off now. But now the next question (which again I didnt see much talk about in the MMI service manual) is about piston crown wobble/play on the rod. The pins must be really worn out as I can rock the piston crown about 5 degrees on the rod. Is there an acceptable free play measure for this part?
        Catalina 30, 1977, #421

Comment

• Val V
          • Apr 2013

Ok now I took the piston crowns off and just putting the pin in the piston rod I can see that its elongated. Is only option to get new rods?
          Catalina 30, 1977, #421

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

You may just need rod bushings. This is where your local machine shop could be helpful.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Check out this link: http://www.agkits.com/bearing-failure-analysis.aspx Of course the most important thing is that the crank journal OD be within spec or capable of being made so by grinding and fitting with undersized bearings. .010" is typical for a first grind. OTOH, your journals may be OK. First measure their OD with calipers.

Comment

Working...
              X