X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weephee
    • Jul 2011

Mechanical Fuel Pump

I don't know if anyone has ever experienced this, but last year I purchased a kit from Moyer Marine and rebuilt my mechanical fuel pump. Worked great all season. Took the boat out for the winter and this spring before launch, I tried to start the engine. No go. Left the boat and when I returned, there was a lot of gas in the engine bilge. The mechanical fuel pump was leaking a lot. Took it out and took it apart and the rubber diaphram was decomposing on the under side to a black mush. The top side where it interacts with the gas was fine. The diaphram was totally destroyed. I talked to Don Moyer about it and he has never heard of it happening. He was gracious enough to send me another kit but I really need to know what is happening. It almost looks like it might have melted but the engine did not over heat. Usually runs at 140 degrees. I have returned the diaphram to Moyer for investigation. Any ideas. Thanks
    Larry
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Larry, maybe a bad batch? I am sure Don will report his findings to you once he examines the damaged diaphragm.

I have not had any trouble with my 2009 Moyer kit mech pump rebuild.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I've not had any trouble with my electric fuel pump either
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
        I've not had any trouble with my electric fuel pump either
        I'm with Neil here...
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• systemek
          • Jul 2011

I too, am a convert to an electrical pump and I am not going back. If anyone here is interested in my old crusty mechanical pump, it is all yours.........
          sigpic
          Ezra K
          "Tumbleweed"
          1970 Cal29
          San Diego, CA

Comment

• 13jeff13
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by systemek View Post
            I too, am a convert to an electrical pump and I am not going back. If anyone here is interested in my old crusty mechanical pump, it is all yours.........
            Wow! Makes me happy I opted for the MMI electric fuel pump conversion kit. I really like the idea of a keep it simple mechanical pump. But the electric fuel pump conversion kit made more financial sense for me.
            With Powerboats, it's about the destination. With Sailboats, you are already there.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
            1973 Grampian 30', Full Keel, A4 aux.
            sigpic

Comment

• systemek
              • Jul 2011

Just following the big boys here.....probably a good idea to keep a mechanical pump on board for repairs but I think I will stick with an electrical backup....less moving parts
              sigpic
              Ezra K
              "Tumbleweed"
              1970 Cal29
              San Diego, CA

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

I'll stick with the mechanical thanks.

Wondering if this has anything to do with additives in the fuel attacking the rubber compound in the seal. One of the reasons why draining the fuel pump for winter storage is a must.

Comment

• smosher
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2006

I also switched over to the electronic fuel pump. I did it so to avoid the issue
                  of gas bypassing the membrane and going into the crankcase. I didn't have any
                  issues with the mechanical pump. The changeover was a preventive measure

My Pressure with the mechanical pump was 4 psi and with the facet is 5 psi.
                  The facet is mounted on the brkt on the engine, with a racor water/gas separator filter.

Steve

Comment

• weephee
                    • Jul 2011

Mechanical Fuel Pump

The only additive I used was to put a small amount of Marvel Oil in the fuel tank at the end of the season. I wouldn't expect that to cause a problem. I use automotive gas from gas station vs marine gas. Would that make a difference

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

IIRC when ethanol made its entry into our lives some had trouble with fuel lines dissolving and leaking. Newer lines are rated for ethanol. Maybe the part in question was made from old stock.

Comment

• roadnsky
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by weephee View Post
                        I use automotive gas from gas station vs marine gas. Would that make a difference
                        Do you know if the gas was Ethanol free or not?
                        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                        sigpic
                        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• weephee
                          • Jul 2011

Mechanical Fuel Pump

Sorry, don't know about the ethanol but doesn't all automotive gas have ethanol to some degree. I will report back when I hear from Moyer Marine. Thanks all for your replies.
                          Larry

Comment

Working...
                          X