Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sony2000
    • Dec 2011

I have a couple of friends from my club rounding Cape Hatteras presently, on their first trip south. They waited at least a week in Virginia, before departing Saturday midnight. Their destination is Wrightsville N.C., with Beaufort as their alternate.
    A lot of people are awaiting news of their success.

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Dave having a look for you.

Got a message from Dave. New gear installed .... They are headed to Bahamas today ... he is going to have a look for you on the way out.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• PT26
        • Mar 2012

Heading South

Hi Mo

I looked around but we must have missed them. We will watch for them on our way down.
        The wind is wrong to jump until Friday so we may see them.
        The wind is 15 To 20 out of the NE today so we are heading down the coast.
        No sense passing up good wind
        Paul
        S/V PT26
        1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

"The Devil never comes to you with a pitchfork and a ball of fire"

Comment

• PT26
          • Mar 2012

Sony
          God speed to your friends, let us know how they make out. I am curious of how this worked out jumping out there.
          Paul
          S/V PT26
          1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• Sony2000
            • Dec 2011

Word was posted overnight that they had made it by the Cape, but not as far as they had wished to. From what I read into it, they did it in the expected 26 hours, and have probably put into Beaufort due to fatigue, and or wind, wave, and current, instead of continuing on to Wrightsville NC.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

1630 looks like PT26 anchored in the Manatee Pocket.

Comment

• PT26
                • Mar 2012

Hi Hanley
                Yes, that's were we are Trina is hoping to see a manatee but after the looks of all the fishing boats here I don't think it will happen

It was a good day no reason to run the A4 except to recharge the batteries today. It was blowing a stink out here but it was all down wind so it was a nice ride. The best part about moving on a windy day around here is there is no one is out except a few tugs with barges.

It is time for another oil change so that is the next task at hand.
                I am really pleased with the new A4 it does not burn a drop of oil

This is a good spot, anchored in 7 feet and well protected.
                Hopefully it will stay windy in our favor so we can move south again tomorrow.
                We are sitting on the boat with a beer in hand after a good day of sailing.
                Paul
                S/V PT26
                1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

Hi Paul & Trina, Sounds like you're having a real nice cruise. FWIW, I've only been as far south as Ft. Lauderdale but I remember how thick and nasty the stinkpots and PWC got as I moved south from about where you are now. On another trip I did the St Lucie canal and Lake Okeechobee to the west coast. Just sayin'. All the best, Hanley

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

1015 PT26 headed south in Peck Lake 5.1 knots.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

PT26 now halted in Lake Worth anchorage, traditional waiting spot for the jump to Bahamas.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

Looks like PT26 now halted in Lake Boca Raton, definitely getting into the high rent district.

Comment

• PT26
                          • Mar 2012

Land of the bridges

We were waiting in Lake Worth for the next low to come through to jump but after watching the morning weather the high is holding the low to far north.
                          They also said it wouldn't be until later at the end of the month for the weather change. We decided not to wait and keep heading South.
                          It was a bit windy but it was in our favor, thank God. We would have never made the run from bridge opening to bridge opening.
                          This area is a concrete walled Chanel with boats flying through with the wakes bouncing from side to side like a washing machine
                          Lake Worth was a good layover though, oil changed, spark plugs checked, bilge pump cleaned and checked, engine compartment cleaned and wiped down.
                          The A4 didn't use any oil since the last oil change.
                          We have some photos but I still can't figure out how to upload them from my iPad.
                          I will pull out the PC and upload them from there soon.
                          Paul
                          S/V PT26
                          1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Mar 2010

PT 26 halted behind Miami Beach near the Venetian Causeway.

Comment

• PT26
                              • Mar 2012

Sailing the Keys

Hi all,

We anchored up between the islands just North and East of the Venetian Causeway. It is a good spot protected from all sides but the North. Blueberry pancakes for breakfast and we were underway.

Finally we are sailing our way South through the Keys, it's a beautiful day.
                              The wind is perfect keeping us at hull speed most of the time, Ahhh the quiet.
                              For the most part it is deep enough to just sail along no worries, just a few shoal markers not many.
                              Paul
                              S/V PT26
                              1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• PT26
                                • Mar 2012

Trouble in paradise

We were running the motor as we sailed through a bridge South of Tuesdays Cove due to current and shifting winds... After passing the bridge and going through a bit of a tight channel, the motor suddenly stopped running.

I knew I was close to empty, I thought I had run the A4 out of fuel. I added 5 gallons and had plenty of fuel in the tank so it had not run out of fuel?
                                I refueled but didn't need the engine, we were under sail again.

After all the bridges the day before we decided to call it an early day.
                                I went to start her up and nothing... Nada! With Trina at the helm I lowered the back up outboard and we sounded our way in to Thursday Cove just East of Cross Key and dropped the anchor in 7 feet tucked in tight.

We looked at each other not a word said but knew what each of us were thinking... Here, now, in the middle of no where!?

So began the process of elimination, changed water separator filter, no not it.
                                Changed inline fuel filter, no not it, changed out coil, no not it.
                                Bypassed oil pressure safety switch... Ok this is getting crazy, not it!?
                                Fuel pump is running but no fuel( pulled hose off stuck it in a bottle and nothing )

So now we are getting some where but why no fuel?

We made the decision to pull the new water separator off put on the old one and get out the small air compressor pull the fuel line and blow air back into the tank. After putting it all back together she started but sputtered out... So we did the same thing a couple more times... Sputter sputter pooped out!

After thinking a bit and battling the Mosquitos that have over come us due to it getting dark we decided to go the other way and pull a vacuum on the fuel line just before the carb. Low and behold here comes the fuel, with a thumb over the line it was reinstalled. We turned on the blower and the fans in the boat and blew out the fumes for a time and took a break.

Ok here goes... The A4 started like it has everyday running perfect!

What happened here I am not sure, we think it had an air lock in the line.
                                After seven hours the boat is back together all things stowed away ready for tomorrow's run.
                                Paul
                                S/V PT26
                                1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

Working...
                                X