• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmilburn
    • Apr 2009

Standpipe Replacement for Ericson 29 with A4

Hi all,

I have a 1977 Ericson-29 with a Standpipe/Water Muffler that appears to be rusting out at the bottom. Has anyone replaced one? Did you try to find a OEM replacement or have one custom built or buy the MM pure stainless steel one for $460 that will probably outlast the boat. I hate to spend that much on that one. I was thinking of having one made out of iron pipe or alternatively buy one of the commercial water lift mufflers (some are even fiberglass reinforced plastic). However, I'm concerned about the fit and access to remove the old one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    -----------------
    "HydroPhilic" 1977 Ericson 29 Tall
    Beaver Lake, Heart of the Ozarks
    Rogers, Arkansas
  • TomG
    Afourian MVP Emeritus
    • Nov 2010

gmilburn,

I replaced my old waterlift with the MMI SS Standpipe this spring. It is expensive and certainly I could've cobbled together a system that would be adequate for less money. I justified the extra cost a few ways. First, I have a Tartan and the MMI standpipe was made for a Tartan. So the fit is perfect. Secondly, water intrusion into the rear cylinders is a chronic problem with waterlifts on the Tartan because the engine sits so low in the boat there is very little vertical drop from the exhaust manifold to the waterlift can. This issue is really exacerbated if you forget to close the thru-hull and have hard starting. Third, I wanted to eliminate as much exhaust back pressure as I could. Finally, I tend to gravitate toward the well-engineered and constructed items to begin with.

I figure not having to constantly futz around with with a sticky exhaust valve on 3 & 4 due to water intrusion is worth something. I also figure that not flooding the engine with cooling water due to hard starting is worth something. The repairs that this avoids or mitigates is worth something. Not having to replace the standpipe, ever, is worth something. The increased engine performance is worth something. Finally, not having to find a fabricator to build a one-off standpipe is worth something. When I added it all up, it was worth it to me to go with the MMI standpipe. Your boat's layout and budget will shape your cost benefit analysis, but I am very pleased with the quality and the value of the MMI SS Standpipe. It truly is "one less thing to worry about."

Let me know if you have any questions specific to the standpipe.

Regards,
    Tom
    "Patina"
    1977 Tartan 30
    Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• Laker
      • Sep 2010

If you have room/elevation for a standpipe , stay with the standpipe. (obviously , you do.) Standpipe has advantages over waterlift.

I had my old iron standpipe reproduced by a machinist/fabricator , and it is performing beautifully. However , I have the advantage in that the aforementioned fabricator is a good friend and is learned in the ways of marine exhaust. If I were in your shoes , I would consider taking your failed standpipe to a fab shop of good reputation for a quotation. If that is too much of an ordeal , down time and all , bite the bullet and pony up for the excellent Moyer product ; then your troubles are over.

P.S. - If you go Moyer , you can leave the old standpipe in place until the swap out , and patch the leaking unit with JB weld in order to keep running. That is how I got through last season. JB , some sheet stock , and a couple of clamps. Worked like a charm.
      1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• gmilburn
        • Apr 2009

Standpipe

Heres a pic of the Standpipe. It is a standpipe right?

Can anyone tell me if the Moyer SS will fit in the space?

Thanks for all your help!
        Last edited by gmilburn; 01-23-2013, 11:40 PM.
        -----------------
        "HydroPhilic" 1977 Ericson 29 Tall
        Beaver Lake, Heart of the Ozarks
        Rogers, Arkansas

Comment

• TomG
          Afourian MVP Emeritus
          • Nov 2010

Are we looking from the top down or the bottom up? I'm kind of disoriented.

Here is a picture of the MMI SS Standpipe in my boat:

As you can see, the exhaust from the hot section enters at the bottom and the cooled exhaust exits at the bottom. The cooling water enters at the top.
          Tom
          "Patina"
          1977 Tartan 30

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

All the dimensions are given in the on line catalogue on this site. Tom, that exhaust is a thing of beauty and simplicity. I wish I could use one. IMO the standpipe is a whole different technology from the water lift and a better one by far.

Comment

• pallen58
              • Oct 2009

I also have an E29 and mine is a standpipe. Looks exactly like yours.

Comment

• TomG
                Afourian MVP Emeritus
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                Tom, that exhaust is a thing of beauty and simplicity. I wish I could use one. IMO the standpipe is a whole different technology from the water lift and a better one by far.
                Hanley, That standpipe is truly a thing of beauty and simplicity! Don and his crew have once again exceeded my expectations. Where many folks would make something "just barely good enough", Don has made something that will perform flawlessly for decades. And it was such a joy to install. It simply screwed right into the hot section and mounted directly on a bulkhead. No grinding of fiberglass or making shims or persuading pipes or joints to fit. It was sorta like dropping a clean valve stem into a fresh guide. It just fit perfectly. It's a joy to work with folks who appreciate attention detail. Maybe that's why I enjoy this forum so much...
                Tom
                "Patina"
                1977 Tartan 30

Comment

Working...
                X