E-29 and Racor fuel filter and new fuel line.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sproption
    • Mar 2010

E-29 and Racor fuel filter and new fuel line.

Hi all!

I thought I would ask before I blow up my boat

I am going to replace my fuel line and add a Racor Fuel Filter (the one for sale by Moyer Marine.)

I am installing on an Ericson 29.

Question...Where to put it...kinda crowded. I was thinking along the fuel line from astern of the engine, but that puts it in the battery compartment. Just eyeballing it makes it the most logical...but....

Another thought was right next to the fuel tank just inside the lazarette. (down hill of course)

Any problems?
    Any suggestions?

I thought of the engine compartment itself, but, I am not crazy about what would make an already crowded area for maintence even more crowded.

Thanks to all.

Matt
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

I would not put any fuel apparatus in the compartment with the batteries. BTW, the battery box should be sealed and vented overboard.

Comment

• charles@pricefarrington.c
      • Aug 2008

Battery Box Sealing and Venting

Does anyone have a picture of such application Mine is in a box, nothing more. I also have heavy duty glass mat batteries which are seal and the documents indicate they can put in any position without any dire results.
      74' Ranger 29

Comment

• pallen58
        • Oct 2009

E29 Fuel filter replacement

I have a 79 E29. The current, and original, fuel filter is on the aft side of the aft wall of the engine compartment. So it is in the same space as the batteries. I just bought the new fuel filter and was planning to put that in with all new hoses. The best place for me to put it is inside the engine compartment on the aft wall. Just opposite where the old one is now. I am going to have to re-route some other wires and hoses but I can't see a better place. I should be doing that next week so I will try to take some pictures if you like.
        Pat s/v Blew Moon

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by charles@pricefarrington.c View Post
          Does anyone have a picture of such application Mine is in a box, nothing more. I also have heavy duty glass mat batteries which are seal and the documents indicate they can put in any position without any dire results.
          Battery box made of 3/4" marine plywood. White thru hull on end panel is overboard vent.
          Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• sproption
            • Mar 2010

Pat,

Thanks for the affirmation and confirmation. Awesome. If you have photos, that would be great!

Hearing from an E-29 owner really helps.

Do you have any photos of your E-29??? I am always willing to share and seeking out solutions to problems that are unique to our boat. I have a few posted on the Ericsonyachts website if you are interested.

Matt
            s/v Tranquility.

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

Re: the overboard vent. Given that the output of a battery is hydrogen gas, which can escape through the pores in a common latex balloon, how do you think it's not going to escape through the tiny crack at the lid opening and all the openings for your wires as well?

It's always seemed to me to me that's what's best with batteries is to give them wide-open ventilation so that the hydrogen gas can't concentrate in one place, but can escape immediately. Your box looks like a perfect place to concentrate the gas instead.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Good point - Actually the box is not complete until I put the packing around the wires exiting. Apart from those holes the box is quite tight. I am OK with the gases in the box and the overboard vent on the transom. That way no gasses get into the cabin or engine room.

Comment

• pallen58
                  • Oct 2009

Fuel Filter

I am getting ready to install the new fuel filter. Yes I will take some pictures.
                  Right now I am trying to spin the filter and bowl off so I can prime it. I bought a new strap wrench. All I have done so far is dented the filter. It won't budge. This should be the easy part. Will the filter still work? Do I need to prime it or will it work without priming it? Anybody have some recommendations for getting this off or am I out $30 when I have to put a screw driver through it to get it off.
                  Thanks
                  Pat

Comment

• jpian0923
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

My Racor came "plug and play" I did nothing to it except hand pump it full (after install) with the priming bulb shown below. It works fine.

Another thing, If you unscrew the bowl after you have had gas already in it the ring gasket (on the bottom) over expands and can't be reused. (Unless there is a trick to shrink it back to original size that I don't know about)

Many guys here use a priming bulb between the fuel tank and racor.
                    It looks like this from westmarine.
                    Attached Files
                    "Jim"
                    S/V "Ahoi"
                    1967 Islander 29
                    Harbor Island, San Diego
                    2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• Laker
                      • Sep 2010

Am I correct in thinking that the batteries produce hydrogen gas primarily when charging ?
                      1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Hydrogen - This is produced by wet batteries being charged. AGM and Gel, not so much. Obviously it wants to go up, so make sure it isn't trapped.
                        I was aboard a sub that routed the hydrogen gas from charging batteries to the air intakes of the diesels.

Primer bulb - NO. This is VERY dangerous
                        I am on bulb #3 for my dinghy in 2 years. The gasohol seems to eat away at them and they get pinhole leaks. I have installed a few on diesel boats and they all leaked sooner or later. They are NOT approved for below decks.
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

• Laker
                          • Sep 2010

Thanks for the tip , Joe - and - Thanks for your service.

As for me , I always strive to prevent my Columbia 34 from submerging.
                          1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

I had a primer bulb for a little while too, that I installed the first winter I had the boat, but have since removed it. I see no real reason to have it, one more thing to cause an issue (aside from Joe's comments about USCG compliance)...an electric pump should be self-priming and even the mechanical pump will pull fuel all the way from a Catalina 30's tank and prime the system without any trouble. I know this first hand because I had the petcock turned off at the tank and ran the fuel line/racor/carb dry (which of course let the engine run beautifully for about 4 minutes until I put it in gear )..However, after I figured out my error, about 20 seconds of cranking re-primed the fuel system.
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

• pallen58
                              • Oct 2009

And Racor Says

I contacted RACOR about how hard it was to get the filter spun off. They were quick to respond and have indicated that they are spun on there so tight because they are pressure tested to 100PSI. Talk about over kill. They also said my dented filter will work fine so long as the threads are of and it doesn't leak.
                              Also, as usual, got a great, quick response from Don. So I am putting it all together this weekend.
                              Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X