X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchPetty
    • Jul 2010

Exhaust Thru Hull

I am considering changing my exhaust thru hull from the transom to a relocated position on the side of the hull.
    Doing so I could eliminate 15 feet of hose that is rising most of the way and greatly relieve the back pressure.
    My concerns of course is heeling with the engine running.
    1. What kind of thru hull?
    2. Flapper or not?
    3. Angle of flapper?
    etc. etc.

Does anyone have a side exhaust exit on there auxiliary and how does it work?
    And any other concerns I made need to be aware of.

Note: Even on heel there is a loop that would be well above "real" water line. And the hose would run down from that loop to the exit point.

Thanks.
    sigpic
    ButchPetty.com
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

I have one on my Tartan 34C. It is just a inch or two above the waterline.
    There is no flapper at least on outside. I believe that it is just a thru hull with nut and barb
    for 1 1/2 hose. There is some sort of rubber bellows on the inside, don't
    know the details beyond this. I am sure others will respond as well.
    It has always been this way, and works fine.

Regards

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Butch - The only real safe way to get away with such a modification is to install a full flow gate valve in the exhaust.

Comment

• ArtJ
        • Sep 2009

Hanley

What is a full flow gate valve?

Thanks

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Art - Sorry, I took a little liberty with that term. The thought I meant to express is that the gate valve must be of sufficient nominal dimension that it not become the most restrictive component in the system. So in order to get the cross sectional flow area for a 2" it might be necessary to go up to perhaps a 3"NPT nominal gate valve. There may be other valve solutions that I'm not familiar with. Regards, Hanley

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by ButchPetty View Post
            My concern of course is heeling with the engine running.
            Hanley,

Given that Butch is talking about motorsailing - engine running with the exhaust submerged on the lee side - I'm unclear over the intended benefit of a gate valve.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

He will have to give up the motorsailing if he goes the side discharge route.

Comment

• ButchPetty
                • Jul 2010

No, I don't intent to purposefully go out and motor sail in a heeling situation like that, but that being said, you could still end up in a heel with no sails up and be motoring depending on conditions of course.
                So yes, I want to know problems associated with this design in a "motor sailing/heeling" situation.
                And thanks for all the input.
                sigpic
                ButchPetty.com

Comment

• ButchPetty
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by ArtJ View Post
                  There is no flapper at least on outside. I believe that it is just a thru hull with nut and barb

Regards
                  Thanks Art. Will dig into the Tartan design. Thats what I was looking for.
                  Cheers.
                  sigpic
                  ButchPetty.com

Comment

• ArtJ
                    • Sep 2009

I motor sail with the exhaust a little underwater without a problem.
                    We had a discussion on this forum a while back about this. Don Moyer
                    said that it doesn't cause appreciable back pressure unless the exhaust
                    is more than a foot or two below the surface. There was also someone
                    on the forum ( I thought it was Neil?) who stated they made boats
                    for many years that had side exhausts.

Comment

• ButchPetty
                      • Jul 2010

Thanx Art. I have already committed myself to the project. I'm sure if you have followed my post on this site you can see I also deal with a bilge motor. Plus's and minus's.
                      I think I am going to do the side thru hull so that it has a 2" id hose acceptance. I also want a brass vented scoop faced back wards. The loop that leads to that exit is always downhill even in a starboard tack. Plus, the fetcher that I didn't mention, their is a muffler of some sort that goes right at that thru hull. The football shaped thing that is at my transom now. It works so good. It will be incorporated because of its effectiveness of sound reduction and as a back flow preventer. Their is no water lift on my boat.
                      sigpic
                      ButchPetty.com

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

There was also someone on the forum ( I thought it was Neil?) who stated they made boats for many years that had side exhausts
                        Without suggesting how you should make your side exhaust modification, here's how the Islander Freeport 41 side exhaust was configured and a brief description of the dynamics in practice:
                        • From the engine manifold exhaust port there is a conventional hot pipe section, minimum 12" rise.
                        • After the hot section rise, on the downhill side there is a raw water injection mixer.
                        • Continuing downhill is a conventional waterlift.
                        • The discharge from the waterlift proceeds up as high as possible, to the level of the deck.
                        • From the top of the loop the exhaust hose proceeds down to a conventional, open mushroom exhaust thruhull installed in the boot stripe.

Although there's a tendency to mount the thruhull higher than the bootstripe, the reason the Freeport thruhull was at the boot was there's no unsightly exhaust stain running down the hull and if running at the dock you won't be hosing down your slip neighbor.

The motorsailing backpressure concern was previously addressed on this forum HERE , post #8.
                        I'm not clear on your description of a "brass vented scoop." If you're trying to describe the exhaust thruhull configuration, it may have a negative impact the venturi effect described in the post. Can't say for sure because the "brass vented scoop" in unknown to me and my only experience is with a conventional mushroom thruhull.

No comment from here on trying to lift the discharge water without a waterlift. You're on your own with that one.
                        Last edited by ndutton; 11-13-2021, 07:22 PM.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California
                        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• tenders
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

Before you get too far into this project I would suggest making sure you have the right clothing for it.

Perhaps Don should sell some of these on the site?

I've worn them for the following projects:

* "If gasoline won't start this engine, then ether will. I'll keep spraying ether into the carb until she catches!"
                          * "Hmm, the temp gauge is pegged at 230. Must be a broken gauge, I'll check it when we pull into the dock in an hour."
                          * "That odd, hot smell must be some other boat out here. Darn powerboaters!"
                          Last edited by tenders; 12-14-2010, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• Kelly
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Oct 2004

Hmmmm...we seem to work on the same sort of projects.
                            Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• ButchPetty
                              • Jul 2010

Originally posted by ArtJ View Post

Regards
                              Art, the hull of the Tartan 34C is so close to my hull design. My hull was also a take off of the Intrepid. The Tartan 34C's first hull was in 1968, mine is a 68 and also an S&S. And man, like my boat, the Tartan has some very beautiful lines. Very nice.
                              sigpic
                              ButchPetty.com

Comment

Working...
                              X