X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shane j
    • Mar 2016

hello

hello all. I have been following this site for a year or two, but this is my first post. I have a 1979 pearson 323 with the original a4 in her. every works quite well. I had a problem with the distributer side water plate last year but that was replaced. I mistakenly picked up a job lot of engines and parts in January and am in the process of a total rebuild on one of them. it started out as a make work project but now I have quite a bit invested in it. I have run into a problem reinstalling the key stocks in the transmission throw arm. is there anything obvious I might have missed? also I have lots of spare parts from crankshafts to starters, in case anybody on the east coast of Canada (nova scotia) is looking for spares. thanks for any help you can give me.
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Hi Shane,
    Welcome aboard. You've been busy!....I've never had one of them apart but there are a few on here that have. Can't be too much to it.

Mo
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Hi Shane - and welcome!
      I was going to suggest that Mo give you a hand, but I guess not..(grin).
      Those keys should fit snug in the shaft, a bit loose in the mating part. If it won't go in, one of the pieces may have a slight burr. What I would do (and have done) is file a slight local taper on the nose of the key - the rounded part that goes into the shaft. Once you get it started, you can tap it into place deforming any burr on the shaft.
      Of course if it's one of the external keys, corrosion of the shaft may be an issue. Last time I had a transmission open, I replaced the shifter shaft with Don's stainless one. It's nice and shiny, won't corrode, and the side seals will likely last longer. I recommend it - especially since you're in there already.
      If you have the transmission case off the pan, you may also want to do the Kaminsky modification - adding a pipe plug in way of the reverse operating bolt.
      Enjoy your rebuild!

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Those keys are very slim and vulnerable to the usual abuses. Take the time to lay them on a piece of 400 and flatten to a true plane. Never hammer the key into place by striking on the working end. Always use a tool that does not extend to the edge. This is a "jeweler's grade" operation. Clean the slot thoroughly and use machine oil. Al's suggestion for a local "ramp" is good but work carefully as the tolerances are not forgiving.

Comment

Working...
        X