• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

Permatex

I've read many references on here to permatex products #2, #3, etc. I've never used this product and I am trying to track some down up here in the Great Wet North. I cannot find these numbers on the packaging that I've come across. Does anyone have product numbers?

I am looking for the sealant for the engine (block head studs, etc) as well as for the fuel line fittings.
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic
  • Tim
    • Jul 2005

Here are the links to the product information from Permatex. On my rebuild I used red Loctite on the head and manifold studs and the water jacket studs and Permatex Aviation sealant on the gaskets with good success. I called tech support at Permatex and they had recommended thread sealant for the head studs. I tried it and about half of the studs leaked. On Ken's advice, I removed the studs, cleaned off all of the thread sealant and re installed with red Loctite - non more leaking studs.

Pearson 10M
    Gloucester, Va

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

I have been using Permatex #2 (the thick goo) for over 25 years to seal head and manifold studs with never a failure. When sealing it is important to degrease thoroughly and chase the threads with a 3/8" NC tap.

Comment

• GregH
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2015

such as this then?

and how many tube(s) do you think I will need in the rebuild?
        Greg
        1975 Alberg 30
        sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by GregH View Post
          That's the stuff. One tube will last many rebuilds. The trick is cleaning the threads on a wire wheel, chasing and degreasing the holes and studs, and applying minimal amounts - just using your finger to fill the threads on the studs, and turning into a clean hole. Make sure your studs have at least 4 full threads remaining; 5 is even better.

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

I love me some Permatex. I learned about it rebuilding Honda's as a teenager. If I recall, the #1 cures and gets hard (like for a hot section), #2 is good for gaskets and stuff, and I also use the #3 for gaskets too..#2 is a tube, and #3 is the can with a brush.

I've also used the high-tack Permatex, all with good success. Nice links, Tim!
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X