• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

FYI:
    I had a DIY bypass oil filter for years before I got the Indigo unit. I just used a valve to set the bypass amount and kept an eye on the oil pressure. The drawback is the human error issue where you can set it wrong or bump it. I would set the oil pressure to 45 and set the bleed valve to bring it down to 40 more or less.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• Carl-T705
      • Jul 2011

paper filters

If interested in this type of filter, check out : www.gulfcoastfilters.com It's interesting read, I run one on my diesel Detroit engine and change the oil it this engine every 100,000 miles whether it needs a change or not. A friend who has run these filters for years rarely changes his oil and his engines run over 1 million miles. I use Scott triple roll paper towels but any brand will work. I'm always amazed when changing elements I have never had any kind of brake down in the roll of towels or the cardboard, pretty amazing stuff. At $900 for the canister and fittings it pays for itself pretty quickly when oil changes cost over $200 every 15,000 miles. I change two paper towel rolls and add 2 gallons of oil every 20,000 miles.... about $30.00, replace the spin on filters and add 4 gallons of oil every 40,000 miles.

Comment

• HalcyonS
        • Dec 2012

Of all the mods you could do to a 50 year old A4, seems like an oil filter is quite desirable. I'm a DIY guy, are there any opinions on if there is a better solution than the Indigo one? (where better = simpler, cheaper, more reliable or more effective, or any combination thereof).
        "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

• HalcyonS
          • Dec 2012

this thread was useful

found via google
          "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

See my earlier post. You can aquire everything you need to build a bypass filter with a manual valve. It will work. If you want the Indigo type system with an adjustable oil pressure relief valve that is automatic, I can't see how you could do it for less than they charge. There are better valves than what Indigo uses, but they aren't cheap.

Originally posted by HalcyonS View Post
            Of all the mods you could do to a 50 year old A4, seems like an oil filter is quite desirable. I'm a DIY guy, are there any opinions on if there is a better solution than the Indigo one? (where better = simpler, cheaper, more reliable or more effective, or any combination thereof).
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by HalcyonS View Post
              "Best" is full flow - we can't have that because of the configuration of our oil pumps (unless someone can figure something out that so far I haven't). Next best is independent recirculting loop with filter/relief valve and (for Cadillac owners) oil coolers. Next is the Indigo system. Last is the no filter option (for those who regard their A4 as expendable).

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

One danger is you won't be able to look at the oil and tell if it needs changing by eye. My oil is light honey colored brand new looking at the 50 hour mark
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• The Garbone
                  • Dec 2013

Not a bad price on the Indigo system. I actually have the same filter bracket on my motorcycle as the stock filter is gause on a tube and not that good.

My one question is the PRV and if one could be had for less? The bracket itself is only $20 or so.

Also, why not make one of the trans cover bolts a Banjo fitting and not worry about drilling and tapping a new hole?
                  Gary
                  78' Catalina 30 #1179
                  www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

You CAN do all that. I am not sure how easy it is to make your own valve. You can just use a normal valve and wire the handle in place after you set it. I did that for years and it worked fine. I got the Indigo system when I got my new engine and was going all-out pimping it up
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• The Garbone
                      • Dec 2013

Wonder if this would work as a regulator. Looks sharp and has the propper range.

After digging about the indigo kit is looking better and better.
                      Gary
                      78' Catalina 30 #1179
                      www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Doubt it. The valve you are looking for is a *pressure relief valve*, not a pressure regulating valve
                        Something like this
                        • Inlet (bottom) male threaded, 1/2" NPT. • Outlet (side) female threaded, 1/2" NPT. Make sure to test setting by pressurizing system above relief setting to verify proper relief valve function. Check the system pressure gauge to make sure pressure is maintained at the relief pressure.

Originally posted by The Garbone View Post
                        Wonder if this would work as a regulator. Looks sharp and has the propper range.

Last edited by joe_db; 01-14-2014, 04:49 PM.
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by The Garbone View Post

I like the look and price of that regulator if it has the range for oil pressure. I had the Indigo installed for a while but replaced it with a big one from McMaster.

Comment

• joe_db
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Do you have a part numbe for McMaster?
                            Also note a fuel pressure regulator does a different job. It maintains X pressure on the OUTPUT port. The relief valve DUMPS anything over X pressure on the INPUT port

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                            I like the look and price of that regulator if it has the range for oil pressure. I had the Indigo installed for a while but replaced it with a big one from McMaster.
                            Joe Della Barba
                            Coquina
                            C&C 35 MK I
                            Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                              Do you have a part numbe for McMaster?
                              Also note a fuel pressure regulator does a different job. It maintains X pressure on the OUTPUT port. The relief valve DUMPS anything over X pressure on the INPUT port
                              McMaster #4704K32

Comment

• HalcyonS
                                • Dec 2012

As a newbie to this project, I want to be sure I understand how this works.
                                The oil, at some point (just after the pump?) is under pressure, its taken up to the top of the engine where it trickles down to the sump to be picked up again by the oil pump? Presumably the oil pressure gauge reads just above the pump? (An oil circulation diagram would help). The filter loop takes some of the pressurised oil from above the pump through the filter and back - to where? sump? The valve - manual or automatic - regulates how much oil passes through the filter and by this we make sure we don't rob too much pressure from the oil supply through the engine. Is that roughly it?

Banjo fitting idea is clever, any downside?

I also like the idea of building in a better oil change system. I've had it with the manual pump down the dipstick hole. So a Tee, gate/ballvalve and hose would be useful. afaik, Indigo used to offer this option but do not any more.
                                Last edited by HalcyonS; 01-14-2014, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X