Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greg
    • Nov 2008

I use it. A typical superstitious sailor here, no bananas aboard either. If Don's a fan, I'm in

Regards, Greg
    Greg
    Ericson 32
    Sirena
    Point Richmond
    SF Bay

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

Does anyone see problems with using MMO in the gas?

Comment

• tenders
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

That Ampco thing fails the benefit/complexity ratio test for me...and under no circumstances would I put a glass bottle in the engine compartment.

If the lube can't get in via the fuel like a 2-stroke, or via the regular oil in the crankcase, it isn't getting anywhere it needs to be as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

• Dromo
          • Mar 2008

Ampco recommends their plastic or steel container for marine use

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

An awful lot of work to go through when all you have to do is drop some in your fuel tank everytime you fill up.

Ok...so I'm lazy.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

The vendor seems to claim that the oiler both lubes and prevents carbon build up around the valves, but how can introducing oil into the combustion chamber not produce oil or carbon residue around the valve guides? The claim is made that valve-to-seat needs lubrication - huh? Seems to me that we already have enough oil getting to the wrong side of the piston rings what with blow by and PCV. There must be something here I'm not getting.

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

An engine in good shape does not need MMO IMHO. My last engine was NOT in good shape and it had to have MMO or the valves on #4 would stick. For my new engine I run it every now and then as a preventitive measure, but I don't worry too much if I run out.
                In the interests of not carrying 100 different bottles I sometimes wonder if the 2-stroke oil I carry for the outboard would be just as useful. In related MMO news, old low-compression Continental airplane engines frequently get a dose of MMO and TCP lead scavenging agent when the FAA isn't looking to keep the valves from sticking
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Jan 2007

The "KISS" rule here

Just something else unnecessary that can fail! The absolute best delivery of anything to the combustion chambers is "in" the fuel as it will be well mixed and there for demand purposes when they are needed not when the "oiler" catches up. Just something to sell IMHO.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

If memory serves, this oiler device is likely something from a 1920s era car that came back to life.
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                      The vendor seems to claim that the oiler both lubes and prevents carbon build up around the valves, but how can introducing oil into the combustion chamber not produce oil or carbon residue around the valve guides?
                      Here is an excerpt from Don's treatment provided in post #6:
                      MMO goes through the carburetor with the fuel, enters the combustion chamber, and ignites with the gasoline.

From there, it vaporizes and soaks into any carbon build-up within the combustion chambers (especially in and around the rings and between valve stems and guides). It eventually loosens these build-ups so that the carbon residue can exit through the exhaust system.
                      The link I posted to Don's discussion of MMO is worth the time to read - all of it. In fact it's good enough that I'll provide it again here to make it easy to find.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Bingy
                        • Sep 2011

Mmo

Hi Mo
                        Went to partsource store here in Windsor and counter staff stated we would probably never see it in our area.
                        Too Bad .

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

I see an opportunity for an enterprising gray market profiteer. If there's a will there's a way. At Jensen Marine we had East coast (New Jersey) and West coast (Costa Mesa) plants. Parts shipments from the Costa Mesa to New Jersey always included a case of Coors beer, not available at the time East of the Mississippi.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California
                          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                            I see an opportunity for an enterprising gray market profiteer. If there's a will there's a way. At Jensen Marine we had East coast (New Jersey) and West coast (Costa Mesa) plants. Parts shipments from the Costa Mesa to New Jersey always included a case of Coors beer, not available at the time East of the Mississippi.
                            Uh Neil, aren't we getting a little old to start this kind of stuff?
                            Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• thatch
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Dec 2009

I'm a big fan of "free shipping" and "no tax", I belong in jail!
                              Tom

Comment

• marthur
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Dec 2004

I sometimes wonder if the 2-stroke oil I carry for the outboard would be just as useful
                                The answer is "yes." That's why I put the leftover dinghy fuel into the tank at the end of the year.
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X