X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marginal
    • Sep 2013

Explosion

I understand that this is incredibly rare, but its a good reminder to run the blower for a while....

Looks like it used to be a C&C27

A man was taken to hospital with minor burns on his arm after a boat caught fire and exploded at a Gatineau marina in one of two water-related emergency…
    Simon
    1981 C&C 30 MK1 "Starlight" #657
    sigpic
  • capnward
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2012

glad he's okay

I'm guessing propane as the initial source. A bilge with gasoline fumes in it smells like gasoline, and is easier to detect. I once saw a guy in an anchorage pour what looked like buckets of air out of his bilge over the side for hours, said he had a propane leak. Did not want to turn on the blower for fear of ignition. Yikes! Origo alcohol stove and diesel heater for me.
    Use your blower. Especially your nose, before turning any switch, if the boat has been closed up for a while. Of course, a boat full of fumes could explode just by stepping on the deck and setting off the bilge pump. Turn the shut-off valve in the fuel line before leaving the boat.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by capnward View Post
      I'm guessing propane as the initial source. A bilge with gasoline fumes in it smells like gasoline, and is easier to detect. I once saw a guy in an anchorage pour what looked like buckets of air out of his bilge over the side for hours, said he had a propane leak. Did not want to turn on the blower for fear of ignition. Yikes! Origo alcohol stove and diesel heater for me.
      Use your blower. Especially your nose, before turning any switch, if the boat has been closed up for a while. Of course, a boat full of fumes could explode just by stepping on the deck and setting off the bilge pump. Turn the shut-off valve in the fuel line before leaving the boat.
      +1 to that - triple check multiple shut off points in your fuel system, and if your boat is stinky every time you arrive consider one of those solar/battery powered fan ventilation units.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

If the engine doesn't start don't grind on the starter. Check it out. Perhaps the reason the engine doesn't start is because no gas is getting to the engine because the fuel line has come loose or ruptured. You might be lucky and land in the water when the boat blows up like the guy that I saw. It was quite dramatic. Just about dusk. I could feel the heat from the fire ball.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

If there is gas on a boat you should smell it. Absolutely no hint of gas or engine oil smell in my boat when I go aboard. I've gone aboard others and just said "you have a gas leak" "diesel leak" or whatever. Never walk on the boat with an ignition source such as a cigarette between your teeth....I was lucky once. About 10 years ago we had a power boat explosion occur at one of the yacht clubs here in the city. Guy was working on his converted fishing boat motor, gas, and they ignited fumes turning it over. Blew the deck off, both blown into the water from below deck, both critical condition. They were promptly pulled from the water by other members of their club. Brings a whole new perspective to "all is lost".

Here's a thread we had on the go a while back. http://www.moyermarine.com//forums/s...ighlight=grace

Showing a pic of a burned boat is just a reminder...boats can burn. I liken it to a saftey guy showing pic of some accident scene and trying to drive a point home. Some of these guys don't get it that it's the simple things we do, and don't do, that count.
          -no ignition source as we go aboard.
          -open the boat up and use your nose as you go through the motions.
          -use blowers and other safety devices...but that NOSE is crucial. If I smell gas I won't even turn on the power.
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
          The optimist expects it to change.
          The realist adjusts the sails.
          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• quiesence65
            • May 2013

Two shut off valves, one on the tank, one just before the carb. Open all the hatches, etc., including the cockpit hatches! Turn on the blower! Sniff the blower air for gas smells. No propane on board...just that sweet little Origo! Turn the key...the A4 starts right up...She's only 50 years old!! Go Sailing! And don't allow anyone who smokes on board.....ever!

Comment

• jwmurphy
              • Oct 2012

Teflon Tape and Gasoline?

Post #4 refers you to a previous thread, Post #10 of that tread shows Ndutton's valve configuration that appears to use teflon tape at the fittings.

I seem to recall our host Don saying in another tread that teflon tape should not be used on gasoline fittings, or was it exhaust fittings?

Comment

• zellerj
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2005

teflon tape

Teflon tape is stable in gasoline. The issue is that small bits can break off when screwing in the fitting, and these small bits can flow downstream and block the jet or cause the float valve to leak. I am sure Neil flushed his system. Also pieces of black hose can break lose while putting it on the hose barb.
                Jim Zeller
                1982 Catalina 30
                Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Jan 2007

I saw a power boat blow up on Lake Havasu many years ago. It was horrific to witness and I did that from a distance looking over a berm from about 200 feet away. I saw the deck of the boat and many people in the air with the boats deck and flame of the explosion above the berm and roof of the gas dock. I pulled 3 bodies and two survivors from the water, the dad who died in the chopper on the way to the hospital and his son missing a leg which I dove for and got into the chopper. There were 11 on the boat and 6 died. Bodies landed on docks and boats in the marina across from the gas dock. As I stated it was horrific and impressed me for life regarding gasoline safety.

I stayed in touch with the family and they did reattach the kids leg just below the knee. He was 4 at the time and had partial use of the leg.

The explosion was on a 115 degree day and was traced to a faulty (cracked) vent line. They had just filled her up and were waiting for the kid and uncle to get out of the bait shop. They did not run the blower and just hit the key, well with a bunch of raw gas and fumes in the bilge and engines box when he hit the key it sounded like dynamite.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• mpoulin
                    • Jun 2015

Hello all,

This accident happened across the river from where I sail. It is an odd accident as the mechanic is very experienced and likely would have smelled gas, so could well be propane! That Marina is also renowned for its mechanics and experience with boats. Haven't heard more from fire dept. yet.

The mechanic was in shock and lost hair and skin (and a tatoo) but will be okay. Will post details if there is a follow-up story.

Cheers,

Maurice

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

The photo showed a boat in what looked like a lock for a canal, so the entire boat was surrounded by high walls. Running the blower would just dump gas fumes into this area and not get rid of them
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• Mo
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2007

Joe, they towed her away from other boat to the ramp where she couldn't spread to other boats. I know a guy there. Mechanic was doing maintenance clicked the key to fire her up and she went poof.
                        A man was rescued from the Ottawa River with serious burns Saturday morning after an explosion on the boat he was on at Marina Leblanc in Gatineau.
                        Mo

"Odyssey"
                        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                        The optimist expects it to change.
                        The realist adjusts the sails.
                        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Do we know for sure what type of engine/fuel?

And yeah, I use teflon tape on fuel fittings. I'm careful to keep it on the threads and not over the end. I've never ever had an issue.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California
                          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

If that C&C is anything like mine, the original tank and hoses were a ticking time bomb. My tank rusted through the bottom and ethanol ate the fill hose and the 90 degree rubber fitting that seemed to be a re-purposed sink drain fitting of some kind.
                            Joe Della Barba
                            Coquina
                            C&C 35 MK I
                            Maryland USA

Comment

• Outaouais sailor
                              • Jul 2015

I keep my boat there in the winter and Marc has often worked on it for me. I am told he is on the mend.
                              I understand it was a gasoline leak, not propane.
                              Hoping he's hale and hearty again soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X