X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Bill are you familiar with Snow Lilly? It is a Tartan 34 that was restored beautifully.

He changed to electric power and extended the keel for a larger prop. No strut was needed. I dont know T 30s, but check it out.

I would like to be able to do something similar, with the prop, not the power.

Comment

• BadaBing
      • Jul 2007

Ill check it lut thanks. I keep an eye on the state-of-the-art in the electric propulsion upgrades every now and then. I'm fascinated by the idea however the cost of lithium ion batteries and a means of recharging for extended cruising remains a problem especially for a model hull.

If I were simply day sailing and something were to happen to my Atomic 4, please pardon the sacrilege, I would go to Electric.
      Bill
      1974, Tartan 30, Unchained Melody
      www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

I don't understand the discussion over prop size. If you are running a 12x6 now, there is plenty of room for a 12x12 once you go to reduction drive. And BTW, the idea of electric drive is not as far out as some may think; consider how diesel-electric train engines operate. It is not too far fetched to think of the A4 as a generator:
        Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• BadaBing
          • Jul 2007

unfortinitly a 12" prop will not quite fit unter a t30 hull. Not posative at the moment but I think9" was opimum max.
          Bill
          www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

For my Tartan 34 I am running the Indigo prop. It has performed pretty good. I can only compare it to the 12X6 two blade that I had.

The blade area of the Indigo is less then that of a 12X12 three blade. SO I wonder about the drag under sail, comparing the two.

A 12 inch wheel only clears by about an inch, so that is closer then I would like. I like the idea of extending the shaft back so I could get 2 inches.

I know that diesel electric is very popular with ships, and trains. Many modern ships dont even have tradition shaft thru hull propulsion, from the TV shows I see. I am not an authority.

I am fascinated by electric propulsion. With solar being more efficient and cheaper, it may be a viable alternative. I dont keep up with how things are going. I just see it more lately. I am a motor head and am used to fooling with mechanical things. but a silent motor would be incredible.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

I can only conclude that a boat so designed that it cannot carry enough propeller to drive it thru conditions likely to be met by the operator offers a splendid re-engineering challenge and opportunity for it's owner.

Comment

• Ball Racing
                Afourian MVP
                • Jul 2011

On the exhaust thing.
                I still only have 1 1/4" exhaust and now am turning 3,600 rpm.
                No signs of restriction.
                Many a V8 car came with single 2 inch exhaust in the 60's-70's-80's
                Making at least 200hp
                But my exhaust has no muffler and is only about 6 foot hose length....
                Tyring to keep the Bay's Wooden Boat's history from dying off completely.
                Daniel

Comment

• BadaBing
                  • Jul 2007

Daniel

would you mimd recounting the magic you used to squeeze all those rpms out of your engine, plaese?
                  I think I recall that your usimg a plaining hull? which in itself has some.voice in the matter but your successs can teach us all a great deal.. Thanls
                  Bill
                  Bill
                  www.CanvasWorks.US

Comment

• Ball Racing
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jul 2011

Yes, I have a 19ft. wooden v bottom planning hull.
                    One head gasket, multi angle valve seats, deburred ports mobil one motorcycle oil .
                    I also run my valve guides as tight as possible for better seal.
                    I run tight ring end gaps
                    10.5x6 prop 3 blade
                    Reducing underwater drag has helped me a lot..
                    Last edited by Ball Racing; 03-19-2016, 03:38 PM.
                    Tyring to keep the Bay's Wooden Boat's history from dying off completely.
                    Daniel

Comment

Working...
                    X