X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aw6445
    • Jul 2010

Engine won't start

Our engine won't start in our Catalina C30. Its practically a new one after being refurbed with only 30 hours on it.

It ran like a dream last year after the transmission was adjusted and it was rewired as whoever installed it, wired the ignition through the oil pressure instead of the fuel pump which I was told by the guys who fixed it was a "bad thing". That was fixed but at the end of last season, the choke lever was getting tight and now its very tight. I tried to start the engine yesterday while showing the boat as we're trying to sell it and of course, it doesn't start!!

I've read through the technical notes and most things point to the choke not sealing properly or a gummed up carb, but, as I'm not that mechanically inclined, wanted to check with others that are (you). Would that be the next place to start given the symptoms? Would it be better to rebuild or replace the carb for a quick fix?

Thanks to all for any advice in advance.
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

This sounds like a job for Dan. (Marian Claire).

Comment

• Marian Claire
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2007

First off welcome to the forum. If the cable is not functioning and closing the choke that could easily be the problem. Most A-4s need to be choked when cold, due to the updraft design, to start. I see you are in Havelock NC. I am based at Matthews Point and would be happy to help if needed next time I am down there. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Marian Claire
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2007

aw and I are in E-mail contact. I can not get back to the marina for a few weeks, 7 hr trip for me. Thought I would post a few ideas for review and advice.
        1 close the cooling thru hull before any more cranking
        2 check the simple stuff, fuel line shut off, loose wires, blown fuel pump fuse. See OP
        3 remove flame arrester and check choke function: mentioned in OP
        4 test for spark
        5 check for fuel flow at carb
        6 pull plugs to check condition and do a compression test
        How is the access on a Catalina 30?
        Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Dan, Access to the carb & choke area on the C-30 is decent. You are still on your hands & knees leaning over the settee, but you can at least get to it.

aw - I had a sticky choke last year (I also have a C-30)..make sure the cable is not kinked...all I did with mine was take a minute to reroute it, and it made a big difference..my issue was I could not get it to open again..If I pulled the cable out it would bind and never open the choke again. A little MMO in each end of the cable sheath and a little re-routing fixed that right up. You may need to remove the cable from the choke lever itself to make sure the choke operates freely with no cable attached (it should, not much happening there) - then try to figure out the binding issue with the cable. I disconnected mine from the motor and literally laid it in the bilge differently & then carefully lifted it back up to the choke and reconnected and it made a huge difference.

Dan's comment about the thru-hull is also important. If it doesn't start within the first 5 or so seconds of cranking, close the thru-hull to avoid backflow of raw water into the motor due to our short hot sections. Once it is running, you can open the raw water intake again.

Not sure about the re-wire with the ignition, but I hope you've got it right. I have a mechanical fuel pump, so I don't have to worry about low pressure switches and extra nonsense in my ignition circuit.
          Last edited by sastanley; 07-27-2010, 08:54 AM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• aw6445
            • Jul 2010

Thanks to you both. I'll certainly check the choke cable for kinks and smooth running. It seemed odd that it started getting stiff so perhaps its just gunked up inside rather than kinked.

I spoke to Don on the tech support number yesterday (I believe) and he said that checking the choke through the flame arrestor was the thing to do rather than rely on the position of the arm as I had (silly me - shows how green I am with engines..)

I know only too well what the thru hull means. When the boat was in the shop for work in Oriental, they managed to flood the engine as they couldnt start it. I now start the engine, then open the thru hull and as soon as the engine turns off, close the through hull.

Fortunately the space around the engine on a C30 is good. I've read some of the other threads and I feel quite lucky.. I'll feel even better when it fires up again.

Thanks for the help
            Alex

Comment

• aw6445
              • Jul 2010

Its going!

Dan and Shawn,

Thanks for the suggestions. I took the flame arestor off and made sure the choke was closed. The engine turned over and with my hand over the choke, there was plenty of suction and no fuel evident.

I checked the fuel lines to the fuel pump and they were OK so went ahead and replaced the pump with the new Facet pump I had ordered. Tried it again and it fired up like a dream.

Thanks for the help, I appear to have a fully functioning engine now, purring away as it should. Just have to replace the water lift muffler with the one I bought last year from MMI as there's a tiny leak on the fiberglass one in the boat.

Regards

Alex

Comment

• domenic
                • Jul 2010

I was going to suggest you kick it.

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Alex, good news. If it is any consolation, I launched my C-30 today after 3 unscheduled months on the hard, and the choke cable stuck.
                  -Shawn
                  "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• Kelly
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Oct 2004

choking

...at least it was the cable that choked and not the owner. There IS a lot of stress when launching.
                    Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• Marian Claire
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Aug 2007

AW: Glad she fired up. If you still have the old electric pump please keep it. I have had issues with the pumps and am trying to learn more about how they work. If you do not have a place to store it feel free to set it in the cockpit of the MC, slip 38, or give it to Paul. I plan to be at the marina on the 13th. The last one that stopped working just needed a cleaning and began to work again???? If I can get it functioning you could use it as a spare. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

Working...
                      X