• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sproption
    • Mar 2010

Replacing original fuel "line" of brass

Dear gentlemen,

I am in need of assistance yet again.

I have a leaking brass fuel line between the manual fuel pump and my newly installed late model carburator. The leak is at the point where the brass line meets the carburator 90 degree brass elbow.

All went well, except, I had a hard time screwing down the two connection points between manual fuel pump and the newly installed late model carb.

There is an inline fuel kit for $23 to replace...but it looks like it is not made to adapt to the manual fuel pump...

Can I replace the brass fitting with the new inline filter kit? Should I just buy a new 90 degree elbow?

Thanks

Matt
  • rheaton
    • Aug 2005

if you dont have one, I would think you should install an in-line fuel filter between your pump and carb. Mine has barbed fittings at pump and carb. Hose connects pump to filter, and filter to carb.

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Matt, The easiest solution is that $23 kit from Moyer..that "polishing" filter will help catch any pesky rodents floating in your fuel and the kit (as you can see in the pic) comes with a couple fittings to help you out. I installed this kit between my mechanical fuel pump & carb this spring.

Sorry about the throttle linkage being in the way.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sastanley; 09-27-2010, 10:11 AM.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• sproption
        • Mar 2010

Thanks Shawn!

I will give that one a go.

I was afraid that 23 dollar replacement meant that I would have to also buy the electric fuel pump etc.

Whew!

Matt

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Matt, as you can see, I used two fittings (edit, actually three..a 90 deg, a 45 deg street el & a straight barb) on the exit of the fuel pump to route my hose cleanly..(sorta hidden under the throttle cable..the fuel line with the red stripe exits the pump & heads to the inlet side of the filter.) Occasionally, it takes a little creativity to make it work. I also recommend Permatex on the threads, even though the fuel fittings are tapered pipe threads. I use Don Moyer's favorite #3 Permatex (liquidy and applies with a brush), but the #2 in a tube is a little thicker. They both smell and make a mess, so have a rag and don't wear good clothes like your nice $$ technical wicking shirt.

Also, don't use teflon tape..there is a thread floating around where my carb got gummed up with teflon pieces after the gasoline broke down the teflon tape & it made its way thru the fuel line.

My advice is to take a little time and 'dry fit' some things before you cut fuel lines and stick hoses on barbs. I usually like to have an extremely cold malt beverage handy for these tasks. It slows my brain down a little bit so I don't do something rash with the knife & hose clamps. It is not a difficult task, but the barbs on the fuel line fittings are so sharp & aggressive these days, once you shove the fuel line on, you usually have to cut the hose to get it off.

The other nice thing is once you have this system in place, you can just replace the $5 filter!
          Last edited by sastanley; 09-28-2010, 09:46 AM. Reason: # of fittings
          -Shawn
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• sproption
            • Mar 2010

Shawn,

Do the 90 and 45 degree plus straight barb come with the kit or are these items purchased seperately?

Where?

Thanks

Matt

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Um...couldn't tell you for sure, but I added the kit pic below..that just happened to be the parts I used to route the hose cleanly. I had a small collection in my spares box. Those types of parts are readily available at hardware stores or even West Marine (slightly higher premium). I'll be honest, a year ago I didn't know the difference between a barb and a "street el".

In an ideal world, you just screw in two threaded barb fittings, attach the hose, and go on about your day...however, that doesn't always work..for example, a 90 deg barb won't screw into the fuel pump due to the outlet location...the barb whacks the pump as you try to screw it in!! So, in my case it took three fittings. I was mostly illustrating the point that some creativity and thought may be involved even though it is not a difficult installation. I think the biggest deal there was a straight barbs on my setup made the fuel filter assembly intrusive on the available space to cleanly reach down to close my thru-hull fitting, so I re-routed it with some extra pieces to lay it closer to the engine.

Here is the pic of the kit. Looks like the kit has a straight barb, the 90 deg street el, & a 90 degree barb: - the 90 deeg street el fit in my fuel pump and provided a female connection for the 45 degree with a male & female thread...then the barb with a male thread, screwed into that. Then, the 90 degree barb is what I used on the carb...so I guess the 45 was the only extra fitting I pulled out of my 'extras'.
              Last edited by sastanley; 09-29-2010, 04:27 PM. Reason: compare kit to my set up pic
              -Shawn
              sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Jan 2007

Fittings

Matt, you can buy the fittings and filter at most any parts house or even a good hardware store. The one thing you will need to go to a Marine store for is the Coast Guard approved fuel line.
                The kit is much easier and will cost about the same.
                Call Bill @ MMI and be done with it.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• keelcooler
                  • Oct 2008

That fuel filter is USCG approved also. The plastic and glass units at the auto store are to be avoided.

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

keelcooler, you bring up an interesting point. I've found similar looking metal units at the auto store...the problem is after some research at the manufacturer's website, the common ones at places like Autozone are filtering at something like 40 microns...not even as good as the Racor many of us have installed.

For example, I checked in with Spectre about a filter which looks just like the one Moyer sells which I found at the local Autozone..

Spectre's forum link

Just to make sure I am not crazy...smaller micron numbers are better, correct??
                    Last edited by sastanley; 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM. Reason: add link. My username is original, eh????
                    -Shawn
                    sigpic

Comment

• sproption
                      • Mar 2010

Thanks guys.

I did purchase the kit on Shawn's photo.

I just wanted to know what additional elbows or barbs needed. I am in the same place you were, Shawn...this is all new to me and I am working against the clock vis a vis haul out season in Wisconsin...

Some cold weather coming round the bend.

Shawn, you have been a wonderful help. Thank you.

Matt

Comment

• Administrator
                        MMI Webmaster
                        • Oct 2004

smaller micron numbers are better, correct??
                        More than you wanted to know:

A filter that is marked or rated "10 micron" has some capability to capture particles as small as 10 micrometers. However, when you see a filter marked "10 micron", you do not know exactly what this means unless you also have a description of the test methods and standards used to determine the filter rating. The results from the different test methods may not be comparable as their methodology varies greatly.

The two most popular reported media ratings are a nominal micron rating (50%) and an absolute micron rating (98.7%). A nominal rating usually means the filter's media can capture a given percentage of particles of a stated size. For example, a filter might be said to have a nominal rating of 50% for particles 10 micrometers in size or larger. An absolute micron rating can be determined by single-pass or multi-pass testing and is usually obtained by passing a test fluid containing particles of a known size through a small, flat sheet of filter media. Any particles that pass through the media are captured and measured. An absolute rating is also expressed in the form of a percentage of the size of particles captured.

Bill

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Bill - Thanks for that information. It seems like the more we learn, the less we know. Regards, Hanley

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

Matt, No problem...I am glad I've been able to help someone the same way others on this forum have helped me.

I do not envy your short season. I leave the boat in year round, unless I have a winter long project to accomplish. Unfortunately, I should have hauled it last winter to do the stuffing box repair so I lost a LOT of sailing time this summer.

Keep in mind that you can temporarily rig things to get to haul out. The first season I had the boat, the engine ran..not very well, but ran..so I chose not to mess with it and screw it up...it turns out I had more water in the fuel pump bowl than gas when I got it on the hard...but it got me to the travel lift. As long as you don't have leaky fuel you can get it there, & in the meantime deal with non-ideal routing if necessary. You can spend the winter adding and trying other fittings for the best lay out.
                            -Shawn
                            sigpic

Comment

• sproption
                              • Mar 2010

Thank you! Thank you!

My engine purrs, nay, chat chats along like a smooth running sewing machine!

All was a success!

Thanks to all for your guidance! Thanks Shawn!

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X