X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SailingAlien
    • Apr 2009

Tank installed now fuel pump leaks

After installing the fuel tank and running the Atomic 4 for about 30 minutes, I smelled gas in the cabin. I checked all the newly installed hoses and fittings and all were dry and tight. I then felt below the mechanical fuel pump and it was damp - with fuel. I am suspecting the fuel pump needs to come off and be replaced or rebuilt. I read the posts about the fuel pump but must admit I am not highly mechanically inclined. Is disassembly overly complex like a carburetor? Is there a way to convert it to an electrical pump and if so, are there any benefits of one over the other?
    ________
    TV Forum
    Last edited by SailingAlien; 01-22-2011, 12:52 AM.
  • alberg
    • Dec 2007

Check that the sediment bowl gasget is seated correctly, I have had this problem before.

john

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Here We Go...

Originally posted by SailingAlien View Post
      Is there a way to convert it to an electrical pump and if so, are there any benefits of one over the other?
      OH Boy, you don't want us to get started debating that question!

Seriously, there are PRO'S and CON'S to both pumps and they have been discussed previously.
      Here's an example of the discussion...

Changing to an Electric Pump is easy and I'm sure you could handle the task.
      If you buy the pump from MMI, they have very detailed, easy instructions.
      I'll let the Mechanical Pump boyz chime in as to the rebuild, but I'm willing to bet it's also within your skill level.
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

I have been using an electric pump for about 18 years now and find it to be best for my application. Typically I run the engine all day in places where halts and breakdowns can be most inconvenient. I can change my fuel pump in less than 5 minutes with minimal tools. Also with a fuel tank mounted slightly higher than the engine I can limp along at minimal speed for a time. This feature would not be available with the mechanical pump. I do recognize that the mechanical pump is a proven performer thru the years, requires no electric connection or safety switch. I do remain uneasy about the possibility of a fuel leak into the crankcase. The two Carter pumps that I alternate in use are 18 years old, a little rusty on the outside, but seem unwilling to give out and make me try something else. I do usually carry a mechanical pump (and rod of course) in case another boater may need one along the way.
        Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• SailingAlien
          • Apr 2009

Thanks y'all. Guess I'm taking the tools back to the boat to take off the fuel tank. If it is anything like my old Gran Torino taking it off shouldn't be too bad. Of course, it's in a very inconvenient place.
          ________
          Honda GL1200SEI
          Last edited by SailingAlien; 01-22-2011, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• SailingAlien
            • Apr 2009

I found the problem but I don't know anything about the pumps condition or age so I am considering just replacing the whole unit. I did find that pulling the hand primer caused fuel to seep out the top of the unit above the fuel bowl. I couldn't find the exact location of the leak because of the location of the pump. I am having to remove it by feel as I can only see the top of the pump.
            ________
            hotels in mexico city
            Last edited by SailingAlien; 01-22-2011, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X