X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theredboat
    • Apr 2010

Fouled plugs! (again)

After some recent major changes to my engine, I've started fouling plugs after about 1-2 hours of use. Seems to happen under load and idle. The symptoms are engine starts misfiring, as if she is starved for fuel, and then she ultimately stall.

This was not happening before the changes. I've been going back and reading all the posts about fouled plugs trying to eliminate all the possibilities, but I thought I'd go ahead and try to get some feedback from you guys... Here's what I've done recently, not sure which items may have caused the plug fouling:

1. Removed and replaced head and head gaskets w/ new moyer ones
    2. Fully took apart carb and cleaned it
    3. New coil (I bought this from napa and didn't check the ohm rating with a meter yet... is this a potential culprit?)
    4. New plugs (same J8C that was originally in there)

After these changes I started getting fouled plugs. Since then I've done the following to try and fix the issue:

1. Took apart and cleaned carb again
    2. Set timing by rotating distributor at cruising speed
    3. Tried hotter RJ12C plugs
    4. Reset idle mixture screw and set idle RPM (I could not get it to idle right at 800 though... more like 950rpm if my gauge is right)
    5. Adjusted choke linkage to make sure it was set properly

Throwing in a new set of plugs instantly fixes the issue, so I have to believe that that's the only problem.
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Others may already have some ideas but as for me, I have more questions:
    1. Head and gasket replacement - would like to see compression test values.
    2. Cleaned carb - you've done it twice so I'll leave it for now.
    3. New coil - do you have points or electronic ignition? Makes a difference in the coil.
    4. New plugs - don't think they're the problem but rather that the problem is damaging them.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• theredboat
      • Apr 2010

I don't have a gauge for compression test at the moment, but will acquire one and report back.

It's points, no electronic ignition.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Neil is right about asking questions and that is how we get to the bottom of these issues. You mentioned that you have points, not electronic ignition. Do you know what your dwell angle is? Are the points clean? Do you have a spare condenser just in case. The only way to know about them is to change to another. The fact that throwing in a new set of plugs fixes the problem (apparently temporarily) suggests a weak spark that does not keep the plugs clean very long. If you don't have a dwell meter I would suggest getting one for your on board tool kit together with a timing light. The specification for initial timing is TDC.

Comment

• msauntry
          • May 2008

With respect to HC, I'd skip the dwell meter and just go for the electronic iginition upgrade. It takes about 30 minutes to install.

Consider how much time and money you've spent so far chasing this problem.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Jan 2007

Adjustment??

theredboat, do you know how to properly "adjust" the idle? And do you have the float set properly. The idle adjustment can cause fouling but they can still run clear at cruising speeds. Try shutting her down abrubtly after cruising for a 1/2 hour or so and look at a plug or two. This will let you know if it is an idle or hi speed jetting problem. I have found the carbs pretty forgiving but sensitive to float adjustment and fuel preassure.
            Are the plugs "sooty" or oily???

Dave Neptune

Comment

• High Hopes
              Afourian MVP
              • Feb 2008

Assuming the plugs were OK before, I suspect something got bungled with the cleaning. There are so many little parts and even small specks of dirt are problem. Buy a new carburetor.

BTW, electronic ignition is a must have. Points went out in the sixties.

Good luck. (please remit 2 cents)

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

In the fiftys we still got two cents back out of the machine when we bought a pack of cigarettes. Ok, let's not be dwelling in the past.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Nov 2008

R\E Fouled Plugs

Pictures or a description of what is fouling the plugs would be helpful.

Check the spark by closing the points (key on) and flicking them open and letting them snap close while holding the lead from the center of the distributor near the engine. If you can throw a 3/8" to 1/2" arc you are getting a good healthy spark and the coil is probably ok.

You can clean fouled plugs with a spray can of either based starting fluid. Take the plug out and spray the electrode. Cleaning plugs will save you $ till you resolve the fouled plug problem.

To get nitpickey for just a second - did you double check the carburetor to be sure the choke is all the way open?

TRUE GRIT
                  Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 10-05-2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• rigspelt
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2008

Not getting enough sleep lately, but what nobody has brought up exhaust back pressure as a possibilty. I know that would be a coincidence, given the recent changes, but could that be an issue?
                    1974 C&C 27

Comment

• dcstait
                      • Jan 2009

check the pitch on the prop

My fouled plug problem was solved by getting a 3 blade prop that
                      decreased the load and increased the rpm.

Comment

• Mo
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2007

Good show.

Well, there's a bit of info to stick in the back of my tiny little mind
                        Mo

"Odyssey"
                        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                        The optimist expects it to change.
                        The realist adjusts the sails.
                        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Bingy
                          • Sep 2011

I've been working on two boats with A4s.
                          Installed NGK plugs in both ,set gap at 35 th. and both boats had fouled plugs shortly there after.

Replaced plugs with Champions
                          and both are running fine.
                          Should I have made other adjustments when using the hotter plugs that failed.

Comment

• Sony2000
                            • Dec 2011

#4 in after these changes: suggests you should do it again, but try this....
                            Idle RPM screw should be backed off, so as to NOT touch the carb.
                            Run the engine and back off the idle mixture screw until just before the engine starts missing.
                            Your excess carbon is no longer.
                            Now, maybe, set idle RPM screw.

Comment

• romantic comedy
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

You want to get it running on the points system before considering electronic ignition. You dont want to complicate the problem.

These engine will run fine with points.
                              Last edited by romantic comedy; 08-22-2013, 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X