• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tartan27hull157
    • Aug 2010

Running 1965 A4 for sale in Annapolis

Hi all,

I am selling the running A4 in my 1965 Tartan 27 in preparation for an electric conversion.

This is an early-model engine, raw-water cooled, crossover tube, never had a thermostat installed. The water jacket has scale buildup as you might expect, but the impeller pump achieves good water throughput.

The carburetor is a new model.

A valve stuck open at the beginning of the season, and I removed the head, cleared the stuck valve, and replaced the head gasket. My brother said I wasn't really an adult until I had replaced a head gasket, and this engine seemed like a better candidate than my Jeep. Cylinder walls were not scored and compression was good in three cylinders (all except stuck valve) before, and all four after. Although I had the head off, I didn't lap the valves or anything because I was on a mooring and in a bit of a hurry.

The tailshaft is apparently leaking oil which makes its way to the coupling; Don has advised me to tighten the large nut that holds it in place. I haven't done this yet but can update you when I do.

This engine starts right up and pushes my Tartan 27 around with no difficulty. I have given it some basic attention, including gauges (oil pressure and tach), stainless studs for the water jacket side plate, stainless throttle cable, and oil change repair kit. Mechanics who have looked at it shrug with that "those things run forever" look on their faces and say that with continued TLC it would probably be fine for a long time. Problem is, I feel like I know everything I will ever really want to about this engine and would rather put future maintenance time and dollars toward electric power.

The engine is installed in the boat in Annapolis, Maryland. I intend to use it to motor the boat over to where I haul her for the winter, where the yard can help me remove the engine with a forklift. If you can be there to pick her up, you have a running engine out of the boat. If you'd like to see it in the boat, access is excellent, as I have removed the interior of the boat.

I have a $200 offer for parts, but since the engine is in running condition I am hoping it may be of use to someone as an engine instead of a parts yard.

Let me know!

tartan27hull157@yahoo.com
    (202) 509-4745
  • Laker
    • Sep 2010

Convert to electric ???
    1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

This has stirred some interest. How could a sailboat cruise with only electric power? Are we talking batterys? solar? wind? What sort of motor?

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Hanley, I had a friend that started an electric motor company for boats. (I think he's moved onto more industrial applications now.)

The thought was an electric motor along with the supporting battery bank would weigh about as much as a comparable diesel with an appropriately paired xx gallon fuel tank. The design would differ slightly from traditional thought in that you would allow the prop to free-wheel when sailing, thus turning the electric motor into a generator to recharge the batteries. I would assume that occasionally (every few days??), you'd need to be at a marina to properly charge the battery bank, but most coastal cruisers do that anyway?

There have been some advances in battery technology, but the consideration of weight would still be of concern, but why not spend $10,000 on Li-On batteries, which is the same as a comparable diesel refit? The beauty of this system also is that if you don't have enough range, you can simply add more batteries for more Ah. Just like cruisers lugging jerry cans of diesel on deck (which I personally think is a bad idea offshore..but fine for heading down the ICW.)
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• zellerj
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2005

electric boat yahoo group

If interested, yahoo has a group for electric boats:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Best,
          Jim
          Jim Zeller
          1982 Catalina 30
          Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Stumbled across this today, Ericson 27 w/ electric drive. Clean installation.

Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
            X