X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimmy
    • Aug 2011

Temp sending unit

In the process of installing temp/oil pressure warning system. Not a chance of getting the old temp. sending unit out tonight, as I don't want to risk snapping it off. It won't budge. Paint would suggest it has never been removed.
    Can I simply forgo this part and use only the oil pressure portion as per normal?
    If I'm going to snap something - I want to do it on the hard/ in the fall, however as I have a tendancy to kill coils, I want the reminder the buzzer will provide

Cheers
    Jimmy( The coil killer )
    sigpic
    Jimmy
    C&C 29 MK1
    Erieau , Lake Erie
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Jimmy - This would be a good time to acquire a 1/2" NPT tap for your toolbox. Go ahead with a six point socket and get that sender out or break it. Drill and tap the hole for the new sender.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
      Can I simply forgo this part and use only the oil pressure portion as per normal?
      Yes. As for being a coil killer, don't think you're the first. Or the last.
      Last edited by ndutton; 06-23-2012, 10:21 AM.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• tenders
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

> If I'm going to snap something - I want to do it on the hard/ in the fall...

I don't think you're going to snap anything even with a cheater bar on your closed-end wrench but I agree with this sentiment. If you've gone this many years without a temperature alarm, you can go the rest of the season.

Comment

• msmith10
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2006

I installed one of these many years ago so I don't remember the details, but can you hook the alarm sensor wire to the same terminal as the boat's temp gauge? The alarm portion may be located in the sensor that comes with the alarm, in which case it won't work properly, but it may be worth a try.
          Mark Smith
          1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• tenders
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

I think the sensors are different. In my setup I had to install a T - one arm of the T to the temperature gauge sensor, one arm of the T to the high temp alarm sensor.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Tenders is correct, they're different. The gauge sender is a variable resistor aka thermistor, the alarm sensor is a temperature activated switch (no resistance).
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ArtJ
                • Sep 2009

Would the sender unit come out easier with a hot engine that has just been
                running?

Comment

• DDO
                  • Dec 2010

Coil killers?

So since I'm having to replace coils frequently, and I see this phrase "coil killer", do tell me what it means. What causes the coil failures? If the idea here is overheating problems, then I guess I am not get the usual signs of overheating and should replace my temp gauge/ sensor/ and alarm. Suggestions?

Comment

• roadnsky
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by DDO View Post
                    So since I'm having to replace coils frequently, and I see this phrase "coil killer", do tell me what it means. What causes the coil failures?
                    Uhhh, very long and bloody story.
                    Probably better if you go visit the thread than to re-hash it here...

-Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                    sigpic
                    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Jimmy
                      • Aug 2011

Not me this time

For the record I only referred to the coil , and technically didn't even bring it up ....think I'll sit on the side lines and watch
                      ( DDO ....I wasn't being to diligent about turning off the ignition if/ when the motor was off. )

Cheers
                      Jimmy
                      sigpic
                      Jimmy
                      C&C 29 MK1
                      Erieau , Lake Erie

Comment

• edwardc
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by DDO View Post
                        So since I'm having to replace coils frequently, and I see this phrase "coil killer", do tell me what it means. What causes the coil failures? If the idea here is overheating problems, then I guess I am not get the usual signs of overheating and should replace my temp gauge/ sensor/ and alarm. Suggestions?
                        It's the coil itself that's overheating, not the engine. The gauge wont show it.

The quick cliff-notes summary is that coil overheating and subsequent failure is brought about by a combination of a coil with too low a resistance and an electronic ignition with its increased dwell time. These two factors cause the average coil current to be too high, and the subsequent dissipation of this energy causes the coil temperature to climb too high.
                        @(^.^)@ Ed
                        1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• jhwelch
                          • Dec 2005

Just for fun I once bought a $15 thermostat that you stick on the glass in your car, with the sensor pickup on a very long wire. In my case I taped the pickup to the raw water thru-hull, so had a way to measure ocean temperature.

Maybe you could do this same trick for the coil, if the sensor will read that high.

-Jonathan

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

Jonathon, I use a similar one of those for charging my car A/C systems, except I think mine was designed as a windowsill inside temp & stick the sensor on the outside pane of glass for outside temp.

The cord is just long enough to make it to a vent in the dash, and then I set the 'base' unit in front of the condenser, so I can compare ambient & vent temps, along with my refrigerant levels.

Great idea!
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X