• Show
Clear All
  • Oldlaxer1
    • Sep 2014

Ethanol

Just got this....

July 13, 2015

Dear BoatU.S. Member-

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is asking for comments on a proposal to increase the amount of ethanol that must be blended into the nation’s fuel supply for 2015 and 2016. If adopted, these proposed levels will require the use of a record amount of ethanol, forcing higher-level fuel blends (including E15 or 15% ethanol) into more gas stations. Remember that most marine engines are built to only work with up to 10% ethanol and it is prohibited to use gas containing more than 10% ethanol in all marine engines.

Please take a moment to send a message NOW urging the EPA to lower the ethanol mandates to ensure an adequate supply of fuel that will work in your boat.

Background:

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) is the 2005 law that requires the blending of biofuels such as corn-ethanol into our gasoline. When written, it was assumed that America’s use of gasoline would continue to rise and therefore mandated escalating amounts of biofuels to be blended with our fuel. Since 2005, U.S. gasoline usage has actually dropped steadily and now the law forces more ethanol into fewer gallons of gasoline.

To keep up with this mandate, in 2010 the EPA permitted E15 (fuel containing up to 15% ethanol) into the marketplace, for some engines. E15 is prohibited from being used in marine engines, snowmobiles, motorcycles, small engines like lawnmowers and leaf blowers, as well as any vehicle made before 2001. In multiple studies, E15 has been proven to damage boat engines.

E15 and higher ethanol blends fuel can now be found in 24 states, often at the very same pumps as E10 gasoline. The only warning you may have is one sticker mixed in with all the other warning labels on the pump. This creates a huge potential for mis-fueling and puts boaters at risk of using fuel that will damage their engines. CLICK HERE for more information on E15 and the Renewable Fuel Standard.

Thanks for being a BoatU.S. member and for taking action to let EPA hear how you care about the ethanol level in the fuel you buy for your boat engine. Help us out and please FORWARD TO A FRIEND.

Sincerely,

Margaret B. Podlich
    President, BoatU.S.
    703-461-2878 x8363

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. If you prefer not to receive Boat Owners Association of The United States Government Affairs Alert emails go to http://www.boatus.com/gov/unsub.asp or use the link at the bottom of this message.
    John Novotny
    1973 Tartan 30 #186
    Baltimore, MD
  • Mark S
    • Sep 2008

Yeah, the corn lobby is at it again. Does anyone know what E15 will do to the Atomic 4? I just got mine working as it should for the first time in a few years and I don't want to have to start thinking (again) about a new engine.

Comment

• Crazer
      • Sep 2011

The problem with ethanol is that while it is "renewable" that is not the same as environmentally friendly. It's the same as high-fructose corn syrup, it's an over subsidized product pushed by a powerful lobby. And, as it happens, it's also really bad for our motors, both car and marine.

As I understand it, the problem is not damage to the motor per se but the destruction of the fuel lines and accompanying fuel supply problems, dirty carbs and clogged jets, etc.
      -Avery

Rhodes Swiftsure 33 SV “Clio”
      Sparrow’s Point, MD

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

what exactly is a boat engine?

I have seen the 15 percent here in florida. It is in a separate pump marked called flex fuel or something like that. right next to it is the non ethanol fuel, at 1 dollar more per gallon.

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Wish I had the choice where I buy my fuel. I'd gladly pay an extra buck per gallon for straight gas!

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Here in Canada the high test / high octane is ethanol free. There can be up to 10% in other grades...however...and it's a big "however". A number of years back allot of people in nova scotia had trouble with their gas powered boats. Breakdowns on the water etc. It got attention and the ones having the trouble were not your average yuppie with a boat.

Keep in mind this is a marine province, allot of marine industry, people grew up on the water and head for the water when they get a chance. So when they start talking that they broke down with the family because of "$$itty" gas from a local gas station in town...there aren't that many gas stations and reputation is crucial. They all have convenience stores etc....don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how that is going to go.

I heard from a friend at the gas refinery, just down the harbour from our club, that they stopped putting ethanol in gas due to complaints and pressure from......he didn't say but I think he was talking provincial government. A province with less than a million people...every vote counts. I see stickers on only 2 gas companies that say they have ethanol in their gas. I know my local one doesn't have ethanol in any grade so I'm lucky. Got a whopping load of water about 4 or 5 years ago due to pouring it in...bought it at that gas station and it was laced with water...they heard about it as well.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Since part of my business is small engine repair every spring the rich folks bring their lawn equipment to me because it won't start. 95% of the problems are carbs filthified by the brown cheesy stuff which is the result of ethanol in the fuel, and left over the winter. There is no positive aspect of ethanol in gasoline. It does not increase mileage. It is not more friendly to the environment. It does not even make the gasoline cheaper for the consumer but makes the product way cheaper for the oil companies. I don't think even the farmers make more money than if they grew other crops. Only the oil companies profit (profit is a nice word for it). End of quarterly rant. I feel better now.

Comment

• CalebD
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

Ethanol was meant to be consumed by humans. Not gas engines.
                Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
                A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Look forward to more issues
                  I have a suspicion that ethanol allows/encourages/causes corrosion in our zinc plated carbs. Ever notice that not even 15 1 micron fuel filters can keep that white stuff out of the float bowl?
                  Warning to Bertram owners with gasoline engines : If your fuel tanks haven't disolved yet, they will now!
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                    Look forward to more issues
                    I have a suspicion that ethanol allows/encourages/causes corrosion in our zinc plated carbs. Ever notice that not even 15 1 micron fuel filters can keep that white stuff out of the float bowl?
                    Warning to Bertram owners with gasoline engines : If your fuel tanks haven't disolved yet, they will now!
                    Ethanolization isn't just an adulteration of fuel; it is also an insult to our intelligence - on the same level as the 14 ounce pint of Hagen Daz ice cream and the 12 ounce pound of coffee.

Comment

• Trés 30
                      • May 2014

Not to mention...

As I understand it, ethanol is a "negative sum" energy source, as in, it takes more energy to turn corn into fuel than that fuel provides. Makes no "logical" sense to use it, but with x% of trillions of dollars who needs logic?

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

I think we are around break-even now, i.e. 1 gallon of diesel in a tractor will eventually get you 1 gallon of ethanol
                        I was on vacation and found an ethanol free pump when filling my car. MPG went from 28 to 32. We get ripped off more ways than one
                        Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

• Vermonstah
                          • Jan 2014

Try "Pure Gas"

I have mentioned this before on the forum - I am a big proponent of "Pure Gas" which is basically a grass roots movement to identify and communicate the locations of service stations and marinas dispensing ethanol-free gas.

Check out http://pure-gas.org/ and I have the app on my phone. For something like this that is "crowd sourced," I have been pleased with its accuracy.

And I will re-iterate the lesson that I have learned from others on this forum: ensure that all your fuel lines are rated for ethanol and routinely inspect their serviceability. Then, if you want to remove the effects of ethanol from your fuel system whenever possible, try something like "Pure Gas" to find the nearest sources.

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
                          Wish I had the choice where I buy my fuel. I'd gladly pay an extra buck per gallon for straight gas!
                          Al - Pure Gas lists a dozen locations in CT. CT is a small state, so hopefully one of those is close by you.

Comment

• Shelby
                            Frequent Contributor
                            • Jul 2015

thnak you for the pure gas link. i checked it for socal stations and vp racing came up. my question is will 100 octane gas damage the a-4?

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                              • Jan 2007

Shelby, no it won't hurt it however it will run better on 80 because of the low compression. I run E-10 regular here in California and because I use the boat a lot I have absolutely no issue with the E-10 regular. If I could find a "regular" unleaded or leaded I would use it however I would not bother with higher octanes like racing fuel. I do use Av-gas and racing fuel but in far different toys.

I run regular in my Hemi hi-po on road trips and use the premium when I want to play. Other than it is noisier on the regular I notice little until higher RPM's and being well into the throttle. This is an engine that states "premium required" and has been tweaked a bit.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
                              X