Oh no, another coil thread. More ohms???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warefuller
    • Sep 2010

Point gap effect on coil heating

I understand that the Moyer electronic ignition has the dwell fixed at 55 degrees so the following won't apply. But with a points-and-condenser system, if you decrease the point gap, the dwell is longer, which will cause current to flow through the coil for a longer time (the dwell time), which results in a higher average power in the coil.

An aside: many old distributors have worn lobes which require a smaller point gap to give the same dwell. This is OK, since DWELL IS WHAT MATTERS, not the absolute value of the point gap.

Btw, a 55 degree dwell is larger than is common with most engines, but a shorter dwell is necessary with more cylinders and higher RPM. The Moyer electronic system, I understand, works well for many, many people.
    Ware

When it's broke: "It's a sailboat. What do I need an engine for, anyway."

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by warefuller View Post
      I understand that the Moyer electronic ignition has the dwell fixed at 55 degrees so the following won't apply. But with a points-and-condenser system, if you decrease the point gap, the dwell is longer, which will cause current to flow through the coil for a longer time (the dwell time), which results in a higher average power in the coil.

An aside: many old distributors have worn lobes which require a smaller point gap to give the same dwell. This is OK, since DWELL IS WHAT MATTERS, not the absolute value of the point gap.

Btw, a 55 degree dwell is larger than is common with most engines, but a shorter dwell is necessary with more cylinders and higher RPM. The Moyer electronic system, I understand, works well for many, many people.
      Hear, hear - I installed the Moyer EI a few years ago and I haven't had to take the distributer cap off since, nor have I changed the cap and rotor for as many years.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Hanley, I installed EI in 2009. I also had not needed to remove the cap until this past weekend. The advance weights were frozen after 6 seasons. The engine ran for 3 hours and stumbled like the old coil killing days. Freed up the weights and it ran for 9+ hours the next day!

Just one more possibility for everyone to look at. I have a post floating around about this in the electrical section just as a reminder to all of us EI people! I think if you remove the cap & rotor, you should be able to grip the distributor shaft by hand and rotate it a few degrees against the weights to confirm they are free..mine were not!
        Last edited by sastanley; 08-07-2015, 11:18 PM.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
          Hanley, I installed EI in 2009. I also had not needed to remove the cap until this past weekend. The advance weights were frozen after 6 seasons. The engine ran for 3 hours and stumbled like the old coil killing days. Freed up the weights and it ran for 9+ hours the next day!

Just one more possibility for everyone to look at. I have a post floating around about this in the electrical section just as a reminder to all of us EI people! I think if you remove the cap & rotor, you should be able to grip the distributor shaft by hand and rotate it a few degrees against the weights to confirm they are free..mine were not!
          Actually, I lied. Last year when I took the engine apart for inspection I took the distributor apart and oiled the weights.

Comment

• krazzz
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
            I think if you remove the cap & rotor, you should be able to grip the distributor shaft by hand and rotate it a few degrees against the weights to confirm they are free..mine were not!
            Great advice and something worth looking into.
            1971 Ericson 32, Atomic 4
            1976 Catalina 22

Ludington, MI - Lake Michigan

Comment

Working...
            X