X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 13jeff13
    • Jan 2011

Prop Questions

SO not to take away from others thread about prop issues,, I would like to remove my prop tube hose, and need direction with this en-devour as well. I cleaned up the prop and attaching Nut, and have yet to try to remove it,, NOT SURE if it is reverse thread or not,, and letting it soak with some CLR to remove the build up around the threads.

Is it better to remove the prop and bring it out thru the cabin,, OR, remove the coupler and the "packing nut" and take it out thru the outside? Not sure what the packing nut aperture's proper name is... the Cutless Bearing isn't loose,, but looks original,, and a little dry rotted. SAME with the Hose that attaches to the "Packing Nut" and the Prop Tube,,, doesn't look terrible,, but Original, and dry rot looking,, the Hose clamps where almost rusted off,, just broke off,, nothing left to unscrew. But welded on by time.

Lastly, ,can you guys decipher the Numbers on the Prop,, do they have meaning,, or just casting numbers?

As Always,, Much appreciative of all Info,, Help.

Jeff
    Attached Files
    With Powerboats, it's about the destination. With Sailboats, you are already there.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
    1973 Grampian 30', Full Keel, A4 aux.
    sigpic
  • Marian Claire
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2007

Look forward to the posts on this as I have never removed a prop. I believe the #s mean you have a 11" diameter 7" pitch right hand, spins clockwise when viewed from astern, bored for a 7/8" shaft. Dan S/V Marian Claire
    Edit: A 11x7 is on the small end of the recommended two blade props for direct drive A-4. Assuming direct drive by the 3 bolt coupling.
    Last edited by Marian Claire; 01-10-2012, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

yank it!

Ya hoo! Go for it Jeff. You don't want to discover prop shaft or stuffing box problems after launch. Now is the time to pull all that apart and make it right. A cutless bearing is about $40. A new stuffing box is about $75. You may be able to get away with new "stuffing box hose" & some goretex packing (back in the old days they simply used exhaust rated hose, the newer stuff is much more substantial and I recommend it.)

Those nuts on the stuffing box are regular thread. The usual procedure is for them to be jammed together so they don't move...get the skinny nut loose from the fat nut (where the packing is hidden) and then the fat nut should spin off. They should spin off with the wrench handle headed in the stbd direction.

First step: get the couplers apart at the back end of the engine
      step two: get shaft half of the coupler removed from the shaft
      Last edited by sastanley; 01-12-2012, 09:46 AM. Reason: I dunno what happened to the rest of my post :(
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
        • Jan 2011

Ah ha..

It all seems so clear when someone else says what you only suspect. I seen the 11 x 7 on the back side and didn't correlate the 11RH7 to mean what you stated.. Duh moment.. ,, I then too assume that since the Grampian is a 1973 model, ,the 1 73 is when it was cast,, in Grand Rapids, Michigan,, by perhaps a company Sailor? or perhaps just meant to be for a sailor....

Still looking forward to instructions on how to proceed.

oh yeah,, I already removed the stainless cotter pin from the nut area at the prop.
        With Powerboats, it's about the destination. With Sailboats, you are already there.

Jeff

S/V Karinya
        sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Ooops...Jeff, I think you are right...maybe an 11" diameter by 7" pitch prop..ignore my other post..I didn't look closely enough at the extra pictures.

Michigan Wheel made a "sailor" prop I think, built for sailboats. those numbers don't really mean anything to us...that's what the prop shop guys are for.

Now, you gotta figure out a way to hold the shaft still so you can break the prop nut loose.
          Last edited by sastanley; 01-10-2012, 02:09 PM. Reason: blah blah
          -Shawn
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
            • Jan 2011

I see. So leave the prop on and remove the stuffing box and coupler. I read somewhere that the coupler shouldnt be reused? Is that good info?

Jeff

S/V Karinya
            sigpic

Comment

• ILikeRust
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by 13jeff13 View Post
              I read somewhere that the coupler shouldnt be reused? Is that good info?
              IMHO, yes, that is good info. Other might disagree. If I were to do it again, I might go with a split coupler. In any case, I would recommend that you get a new coupler and have it fitted and faced.

Here are a few sites that will be helpful to you:

- Bill T.
              - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• 13jeff13
                • Jan 2011

A Little Progress

I got the Hose cut,, it was very dry rotted, and came apart pretty easy. Now the rest of the components are soaking in Kroil til Thursday. I hope they come apart as easy.
                Attached Files

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                sigpic

Comment

• 13jeff13
                  • Jan 2011

Soaking

Got a chance to wipe down the engine compartment,, Them wires look so much better in them Black Wire Holder Tubes.
                  Attached Files

Jeff

S/V Karinya
                  sigpic

Comment

• Laker
                    • Sep 2010

I was going to post the stuffing box essay , but rust beat me to it. Study it closely , great stuff.

Keep up the good work ; when you are finished you will really know your boat.

CJK
                    1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• Loki9
                      • Jul 2011

If it was me, I'd pull the prop off the shaft and then remove the shaft from inside, leaving the coupler on the shaft. You'll save yourself some aggravation as the coupler does not come off easily and if you do get it off, you may need to replace it.
                      Jeff Taylor
                      Baltic 38DP

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

From the point where you're now at it would be just as simple to pull the prop and then withdraw the shaft and coupler forward. Clean up and then decide about the coupler: I reuse them routinely.

Comment

• msmith10
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jun 2006

If you do pull the shaft forward and leave the coupler on, take it to a machine shop and make sure the face of the coupler is perpendicular to the shaft. Otherwise no amount of alignment will fix the resulting shaft wobble. I speak from personal experience.
                          You need to do this if you replace the coupler, also.
                          Mark Smith
                          1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by msmith10 View Post
                            If you do pull the shaft forward and leave the coupler on, take it to a machine shop and make sure the face of the coupler is perpendicular to the shaft. Otherwise no amount of alignment will fix the resulting shaft wobble. I speak from personal experience.
                            You need to do this if you replace the coupler, also.
                            +1

Take the easiest route to remove the paritial assembly from the boat, and let the pros deal with removing the coupler. I damaged mine forcing it off & had to replace it.

once removed, take both coupler pieces & the shaft to a prop or machine shop and let them do the fit/facing/aligning, so everything will be true when you re-assemble. If you plan to re-use the prop, take that in too and let them balance that as well.
                            -Shawn
                            sigpic

Comment

• jhwelch
                              • Dec 2005

Once a coupler has been fitted/faced does it have to undergo this process if you replace the shaft? It seems to me that all shafts would fit into the coupler the same way. Last summer I paid for fit/facing when I replaced my shaft and kind of wondered if I was being "shafted".

-Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X