X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stranded-sailor
    • Nov 2023

No spark

Hi all, back again trying to sort out this problem. Quick rehash; had my engine shut down, figured it needed a tune up as had no spark and plugs and rotor were bad looking. Replaced plugs, cap, rotor. Wires looked newer in ok shape and being broke opted to go without atm. Also replaced coil.. After replacing these parts engine fired right up and ran 20 minutes or so. Next day started and ran 5 minutes, shut off. no start, no spark. Engine is a '72. Switched to electronic ignition.. Any thought or direction would be appreciated.
    Last edited by stranded-sailor; 12-01-2023, 10:06 AM.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Did you check for voltage at the "+" terminal on the coil?

Did you turn the ignition key off after the "20 minute" run or did it die?

Did you possibly leave the key on at any time?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

I could bet the farm you fried that coil. EI will kill an unprotected coil way faster than points ignition. Voltage at coil+ must be held between 10 and 12 volts unless you have the Moyer coil. If not, get a resistor in front of the coil.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Please read this thread in its entirety.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• stranded-sailor
          • Nov 2023

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
          Did you check for voltage at the "+" terminal on the coil?

Did you turn the ignition key off after the "20 minute" run or did it die?

Did you possibly leave the key on at any time?

Dave Neptune
          Hi all, sorry not to be right back to you on here, been dealing with some boat problems.
          So there is voltage at the coil +.My battery is a little low right now as I tested it but only got 10.5v at the coil,, battery is at 11.8.
          After the 20 min run I shut it off with the key. Next am ran for 5 minutes than quit. The key hasn't been left on.

Comment

• stranded-sailor
            • Nov 2023

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
            I could bet the farm you fried that coil. EI will kill an unprotected coil way faster than points ignition. Voltage at coil+ must be held between 10 and 12 volts unless you have the Moyer coil. If not, get a resistor in front of the coil.
            I just checked resistance in the coil and I think you may win the farm. Being new with only a couple hours on it i didn't want to believe that was it I guess but I'm getting no resistance between the center pole and either + or -

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by stranded-sailor View Post
              Hi all, sorry not to be right back to you on here, been dealing with some boat problems.
              So there is voltage at the coil +.My battery is a little low right now as I tested it but only got 10.5v at the coil,, battery is at 11.8.
              After the 20 min run I shut it off with the key. Next am ran for 5 minutes than quit. The key hasn't been left on.
              The important voltage is when the engine is hot and running with alternator functioning normally. It should not exceed 12 volts at coil+. This means the coil must be running well below system voltage originating at alt+. The differential can be achieved by putting resistance in front of the coil (which can be a cheap automotive coil) or by getting the Moyer coil which has the resistance internal. I looked at the Pertronix information which seems to suggest 4 amps is ok at the coil. My engine runs great at 1.25 amps and 10.5 to 11 volts.

Comment

• stranded-sailor
                • Nov 2023

Hi all. I've found a napa ic14 coil i can get but the parts store here in Canada aren't real smart and he can't even tell me the resistance in this coil. Does any one know if and what size resistor I would need plz? I've tried looking it up but my internet is so bad its taking me 5 minutes just to get a post to upload

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

It is hard to find idiot proof parts stores so you usually have to assume the worst. It might be necessary to buy a resistor to put in front of the coil. If the engine will not start with the resistor in line that could mean the coil already has sufficient internal resistance. This is the hard way to do it but it is idiot proof. Descriptions of parts online seldom include the truly useful information. Put your voltmeter on coil+ so in the event the engine starts you will have a good voltage reading right away, The other option is to spring for the Moyer coil which has it's own internal resistor.
                  Last edited by hanleyclifford; 12-04-2023, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Jan 2007

If the coil is for a four cylinder engine you should be OK. I used a coil off of an old VW for quite a few year with an EI I adapted to my A-4 before they became available for the A-4. A 6 or 8 cylinder coil will not last as long because they are designed for shorter saturation times. Get a resistor and a 4 cylinder coil then check the voltage at the positive post of the coil after the engine has run for a bit so the alternator is not charging heavily IE the batteries are charged and output is just maintaining voltage.
                    As long as the coil does not see much over 12.5 volts pretty much any 12v coil will work.

Best bet is just get the coil and resister from our host and be done with it. And do remember to keep the key OFF when not running or after diagnosing if you need to turn the engine. When I am working on an engine and need to turn it over I always disconnect the coil positive side.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

My oil pressure alarm will let me know quite loudly if the ignition is on and the engine is not running
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• Sam
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by stranded-sailor View Post
                        Hi all. I've found a napa ic14 coil i can get but the parts store here in Canada aren't real smart and he can't even tell me the resistance in this coil. Does any one know if and what size resistor I would need plz? I've tried looking it up but my internet is so bad its taking me 5 minutes just to get a post to upload
                        I urge caution with that coil. if your using EI. The NAPA IC14 coil is what I run fine with for years with points [early model Prestolite distributor.] Been a few years since I measured resistance but remember it as 3+ ohms something measured across the terminals. A few years back a friend's boat converted to EI without changing coils and in a short time cooked the coil. All of this was thoroughly discussed and was extremely informative on posts about a dozen years ago. For EI i think you want a coil with about 4 ohm internal resistance, [I remember one post by Neil D where he cut an old coil apart and there was no internal resistor piece - resistance is determined [engineered] by the wire resistance and length of the windings] At least that is what i recall.

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

You recall correctly Sam.

Be careful not to get myopic about coil resistance or system voltage alone. As explained in the Pertronix treatment I recently posted, they work in tandem and their quotient is critical to a reliable electronic ignition system.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California
                          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• stranded-sailor
                            • Nov 2023

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                            If the coil is for a four cylinder engine you should be OK. I used a coil off of an old VW for quite a few year with an EI I adapted to my A-4 before they became available for the A-4. A 6 or 8 cylinder coil will not last as long because they are designed for shorter saturation times. Get a resistor and a 4 cylinder coil then check the voltage at the positive post of the coil after the engine has run for a bit so the alternator is not charging heavily IE the batteries are charged and output is just maintaining voltage.
                            As long as the coil does not see much over 12.5 volts pretty much any 12v coil will work.

Best bet is just get the coil and resister from our host and be done with it. And do remember to keep the key OFF when not running or after diagnosing if you need to turn the engine. When I am working on an engine and need to turn it over I always disconnect the coil positive side.

Dave Neptune
                            Tks for the great info. I agree a proper coil from our host would be best but I'm in Canada and they can't promise shipping charges, in fact they warn that it could be substantial cost at border. Ya Canada! Not!!

Comment

• joe_db
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

Maybe this or similar?

I think this is what the local shop gave me. Mine has been working fine for years, but read the reviews, seems like maybe they shifted to China and the newest ones haven't been as good?
                              * I feel your pain with customs, all my canvas is from Genco in Toronto and it went back and forth a few times for alterations and both countries kept trying to charge me duty both ways
                              Joe Della Barba
                              Coquina
                              C&C 35 MK I
                              Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                              X